topdog1961

Venison on the radio.

Brad Eden
8 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Heard this on the way to work this morning. You can read or there is a link at the top to the 4 minute audio story. 

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2018/01/02/573768208/why-is-venison-on-expensive-plates-and-food-pantry-shelves

Fixed that llllllloooooooonnnnnngggggggg URL for ya...Venison on Menus and In Food Pantries

Just clicked that "link" graphic on upper tool bar, pasted and added title.

(Just taking the opportunity to point out a function to Members who may not be aware.)

Dave in Maine

Yup.  

Here in Maine, Hunters for the Hungry organizes processing and distribution of moose, deer and bear through food pantries, etc.    One can donate all or part of their animal.

Brad Eden
23 minutes ago, Dave in Maine said:

Yup.  

Here in Maine, Hunters for the Hungry organizes processing and distribution of moose, deer and bear through food pantries, etc.    One can donate all or part of their animal.

Yes, good program. But the problem is the deer, bear, and moose have to be processed by a licensed butcher, who have to be part of the program, and who you have to find, and who often stop taking in deer 3/4's through a season. Those of us who cut-up and package and grind our own wild game can't donate that. 

Dave in Maine

We had the administrator for the program come in to my gun club last year and explain it.  The butchers are paid by the government (IIRC, it's a sliver of Department of Agriculture "Emergency Food Assistance Program" funds) to do the cutting and packaging.  The figure of 30 or 40 cents a pound sticks in my mind, but that could be wrong.  The local game warden should have the information on which butchers are participating.

Googling a little, I see this was the result of the "Hunters Help the Hungry Act", s.1683, introduced 11/24/01 by Sen. Tom Harkin.  147 Cong. Rec. 22501-2.  It allows the states to use part of their administrative funds under TEFAP - "The Emergency Food Assistance Program" - a Department of Agruiculture program usually more concerned with distributing surplus government food to food banks, to support Hunters for the Hungry.   States are not required to establish Hunters for the Hungry programs in their state, but have the funding flexibility to do so.

My copy of the SAM News from Jan/Feb. 2017 has both a front-page list of the 28 then-participating butchers and their contact info and a quarter-page ad inside with contact phone and web info.  The web contacts are in the Maine Department of Agriculture, not IFW.  For folks not in Maine, it might be useful to look under your state's "Emergency Food Assistance Program" (or analog), also likely located in their Department of Agriculture.

For Maine:  http://www.maine.gov/dacf/ard/tefap/hunters_for_hungry.shtml   

topdog1961

I don't believe we have a state legislated program in Ohio, but there are private programs. The largest is Farmers and Hunters Feeding the Hungry, which is a ministry outreach program with representation in about half the states. They rely mostly on private finding but have received some grant funding from the Ohio Division of Wildlife. They too require the venison be processed by a licensed butcher participating in their program. Apparently they pay near normal processing cost because hunters are welcomed but not required to pay for the processing, which runs about $60. 

The last two seasons I've taken a late deer after my freezer was full and opted to process myself and donate to a needy family that I know. For the $60 the shops only do basic butchering. I made seasoned sausage and brats in addition to steaks. But for the amount of work that is, $60 looks pretty good. Last season it was a recently divorced woman with 4 kids. This season she is engaged to a nice man and doing much better, so I donated to a family who's father is disabled with Parkinson's. 

drummer's stump
On 1/6/2018 at 2:11 PM, Brad Eden said:

Yes, good program. But the problem is the deer, bear, and moose have to be processed by a licensed butcher, who have to be part of the program, and who you have to find, and who often stop taking in deer 3/4's through a season. Those of us who cut-up and package and grind our own wild game can't donate that. 

Brad, I believe some butchers are compensated for the animals they process.

All the animals seized by the Maine warden service are processed for hunter for the hungry, and I bet its over 30 moose annually, and who know how many deer. The sad part is how many moose are wasted by people who don't know how to properly care for their meat, or just don't care. I know of 5 or 6 moose taken in zone 1 that were wasted by incompetence. I believe they should be fined and lose their hunting privileges.