grouse28

New Kid on the block?

Don Steese
9 hours ago, Tim Frazier said:

I agree it "looks Turkish"  (the shape of the top of the action/depth of action and such)

In guess this explains, to some degree, what "Turkish" looks like. It also shows how darned little I know about such things. I look at those photos and all I see is an attractive over/under that you wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage for. 

Starsky

No doubt about it, it looks Turkish. Therefore, it must be made in the USA.  Some of you guys are hard to please!

ThreeDogs

darned nice looking gun for the money I hope they sell like crazy!

lee sykes
11 hours ago, Don Steese said:

In guess this explains, to some degree, what "Turkish" looks like. It also shows how darned little I know about such things. I look at those photos and all I see is an attractive over/under that you wouldn't have to take out a second mortgage for. 

I don't know much about Turkish guns except that they obviously try to copy affordable Italian guns.   I think this too is a copy of an Italian gun.  Some copies are better than others.  You be the judge.  

ScottGrush

I'm interested simply because it doesn't have a gawd awful gold trigger. 

lee sykes
33 minutes ago, ScottGrush said:

I'm interested simply because it doesn't have a gawd awful gold trigger. 

I like my gold trigger Rizzini!   :)   

troutchops

Tough crowd

Starsky

Wrote to CSMC yesterday and got email back this morning.  They say if you order today, your Revelation should ship within 2 weeks.

Don Steese
3 hours ago, lee sykes said:

I don't know much about Turkish guns except that they obviously try to copy affordable Italian guns.   I think this too is a copy of an Italian gun.  

Then how come nobody says these guns "look Italian"???

charlo slim

CORRECT BARREL ORIENTATION - CHECK

Correct gauge - check.

Correct weight - check

Correct number of triggers - check.

Correct choke system - check

Correct ammo capability (any) - check

Correct "bling" factor (low) - check.

Heck, I might even be interested.... if I could only get the damned old SKB worn out in time.

Seriously - very appealing prospect, IMO

Ignorant question -- is "case coloring" generally as durable as quality bluing?

lee sykes
9 minutes ago, Don Steese said:

Then how come nobody says these guns "look Italian"???

maybe because they only shop at places that sell Turkish doubles?  

Cooter Brown
58 minutes ago, charlo slim said:

Correct gauge - check.

Correct weight - check

Correct number of triggers - check.

Correct choke system - check

Correct ammo capability (any) - check

Correct "bling" factor (low) - check.

Heck, I might even be interested.... if I could only get the damned old SKB worn out in time.

Seriously - very appealing prospect, IMO

Ignorant question -- is "case coloring" generally as durable as quality bluing?

Folks, hell has frozen over.

Case coloring is not as durable as quality bluing.  You can protect it some by putting a thin lacquer on it.  Brownells' sells something just for that purpose.

As far as I know all steel develops some color like this when it's case hardened--it is usually polished off and the gun blued.  The bone charcoal method is the traditional way to do this and leaves more brilliant colors.  The method used to include using sheep bone charcoal and quenching in whale oil.  In addition to all this different steels develop different colors and contrasts.  Doug Turnbull has done a lot of research to create colors appropriate to different makers--in other words Marlin's process created a different look than Winchester's and Turnbull has tried to recreate those looks in his restoration work.

I have Starrett measuring tools with case colors.

The late Dr. Oscar Gaddy was a scientist (chemist I think) who did a lot of research and writing on case hardening/coloring.  There's a good bit of his stuff on the web if you're interested in looking at the process.

I think part of the reason people say this gun has a Turkish look is that like the Arkus (S&W, Dickinson, etc.) guns this one has real bone charcoal case colors.  That's something people aren't used to seeing in this country, at least for a good while on production guns.  But if you look at well preserved guns from around the turn of the 19th to 20th century, you'll see those brilliant colors.  I love the look.

RuffChaser
19 minutes ago, Cooter Brown said:

I have Starrett measuring tools with case colors.

Totally off subject but I'd love to see a picture of those. That would be way cool.

Cooter Brown
16 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Totally off subject but I'd love to see a picture of those. That would be way cool.

I'll snap a pic.  Generally the case colored stuff are the bases of height gages, depth gages, etc.  It's pretty cool really.

charlo slim
1 hour ago, Cooter Brown said:

Folks, hell has frozen over.

Case coloring is not as durable as quality bluing.  

Nah, Cooter, not frozen over-- just getting a little slushy around the edges at times. And speaking of getting a bit slushy, it dawns on me that t forgot the most important requirement of all. But never fear, I'll go back and correct my original post pronto. 

Not as durable, well that scrubs the deal. Although..... that may not really be fair, in that even decent bluing can be subject to "some" wear. 

IMG_1080.JPG