Brock A

Anyone hunt Mule Deer?

Brock A

While I have chased birds my entire life, I would be lying if I said it was my favorite type of hunting. Mule Deer consume me from July - November.

This is the buck I killed on Sept 2nd in Washington. I was solo and backpacked into a remote basin. Sure was fun packing him out...

38680373151_4ca54fb46e.jpg

36840555226_ebd780df0d.jpg

Virgil Kane

Nice mulie and in the velvet too!

Mule deer have always avoided me no matter how many tags I buy. ¬¬

Virgil

Sage Hen

Nice buck. I've hunted mulies all my life, never with the bow, but enough to know it isn't easy. Well done.

Brad Eden

That's really cool. Nice photos too. Never hunted or shot a Mule deer. Just a northeast Whitetail fanatic.

406dn

Brock, congrats on your buck. I still carry a deer tag in case I cross paths with a REALLY nice mule deer. They are a rare specimen, and I respect anyone who takes one. This fall I gave a ride to a young man about your age, who had a mule deer on his back after hiking out about five miles with it. He came out a different drainage than where he was camped. You earned your deer, as did he.

topdog1961

Yeah, Yeah. We all know you're like Bear Grylls, got a whole support crew with you, including photographer. Next thing we know you'll be drinking your pee...

Seriously though, great job. 

Birdcountry70

4 hunting seasons ago I decided that I would dedicate my buck tag to a 170" or better mulie. I haven't killed a buck for 4 years😂.  I have covered a lot of ground and passed up a pile of bucks but just haven't  been able to get it done on either of the only 2 giant bucks I have seen in recent years. I sure am having fun though. I definately prefer the meat from whitetails so I won't take a mulie unless it's a really big one. I can usually take a whitetail doe on the last evening of the season if my either sex tag is not filled.  A big mule deer buck is quite a trophy, especially on public land.  I'm lucky enough to see mule deer from my house daily,  they are neat animals that I never get tired of watching. 

Birdcountry70

Nice buck by the way. An archery mule deer is quite an accomplishment! Memories of a trip like that can get you through a long dismal winter. 

scottspec2

I've never hunted Mule's, I can say during this trip though I've learned Montana is the place. They're like, EVERYWHERE out there. You could probably shoot a hundred and not even know they were missing. There were a lot of draws that Watson and I would push a dozen or more out of on a frequent basis. If you were on a freezer filling mission you could drive around, find one you like, and just rest the rifle across the hood.

Brad Eden

IMG_0577.JPG

IMG_0578.JPG

I was fortunate to wild turkey hunt in Montana at the UJer Rickert's ranch "Table Rock Ranch". I've never seen so many deer in my life. Mostly Mule deer but a fair share of Whitetails as well. There were a couple Mule deer does that hung around the ranch we named Laverne and Shirley. Another place that seemed to be overrun with Mulies was near Durango Colorado. We had to swap our rental car at the small airport there and lost count on the way there.

Steve Hunts

I still hunt them, just don't shoot a gun at them anymore. A few times I have stalked close enough I could have pulled the gum out of my mouth and bounced it off of them.

Big Al

Nice deer Brock.

As Brad said we have a large population of mule deer at the ranch.  The bucks just never get to be trophy size though.  Don’t understand why.  The hunting pressure is minimal and most of the bucks we take are whitetails.  We usually harvest between 2-4 muley does each year.

Here’s a pic of a mule deer buck taken this past season.  Probably the biggest shot at the ranch since I’ve owned it.

5A7C055E-0A39-41EB-B183-46156E6B0D0D.jpeg

mccuha

I’m a upland hunter all the way.  I will hunt whitetail to pass the time until bird season. That being said I would love to one day take a ,mulie.  Not just any mulie but an above average buck

Randy S

The ranches I coyote hunt in northcentral Montana all have mulies, but they don't seem to have any mass or width. Plenty of points with lots of 4+s per side. The ranchers also have antelope and say that a 12" in that country is a good buck. 

406dn

There are several states with a better reputation for large mule deer than Montana. I've never killed what I'd call a large one. But there are a few outliers and I'd love to cross paths with one.

My best mule deer.

fullsizeoutput_2ec.thumb.jpeg.eabc4f31caf91f8b1657b21a778e1b91.jpeg

A friend's deer from back in the day that is a pretty nice buck.

fullsizeoutput_2ed.thumb.jpeg.e02b46c803f465b4027288e7976ee24b.jpeg