FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Brock A

Anyone hunt Mule Deer?

NVChukarChaser

I backpack into the wilderness and archery hunt for mulies. Mostly, just to get in shape for Chukar season. Didn’t have much time to hunt or scout last year but spent 3 hours within 150 or so yards of this buck.

87BB9745-478A-44F4-9CCE-628D703447C2.jpeg

Steve Hunts
2 hours ago, NVChukarChaser said:

I backpack into the wilderness and archery hunt for mulies. Mostly, just to get in shape for Chukar season. Didn’t have much time to hunt or scout last year but spent 3 hours within 150 or so yards of this buck.

Looks like a caribou! Whoa.

Most deer hunters I know here in Montana blame the poor quality of bucks on the state management by FWP. They say the long season results in too many bucks harvested and not enough living to get old enough to get big.

mccuha

Where would you say was the best state to kill a nice buck where you could freelance and not be extremely difficult to get a tag. I’m wanting to go and get one buck period.  I want a trophy animal and the mulie is the only thing I have ever wanted to take. 

polecat

I love hunting mule deer but where I can hunt them is 2500 miles from my house.I have made a few trips there including driving the Chevy on a 5000 mile round trip without pulling the trigger this October. 7 preference points accumulated for Colorado now just trying to find a good place to go and if I want to spend the money with an outfitter.Here are a few pictures of our DIY hunts on private land.Some have been posted previously.

My best one,the missing antler was repaired by the taxidermist

076.JPG

Later that nite

064.JPG

Another from that trip

038.JPG

Another trip

montana 039.JPG

montana 056.JPG

montana 075.JPG

montana 052.JPG

montana 055.JPG

a buck I tracked to his bed. I also shot my first elk on this trip.

montana 066.JPG

montana 097.JPG

Makes me want to go back.Sitting here weathering this nasty cold spell October hunts seem like a good idea.

Brock A
On 1/4/2018 at 3:41 PM, NVChukarChaser said:

That's a big buck...

Chukarman

Nevada has some HUGE mule deer, so does Eastern Idaho. Some years ago I killed a mulie in NE California that was 31-1/2" spread. When I went to the taxidermist to pick up the mounted head, he had it hanging on the wall next to an Eastern ID mulie that was 40"!! I wasn;t quite so proud of my trophy after admiring that monster. I love mule deer hunting.

terrym

I have only done one Western hunt and that was for Pronghorn. A decent muley is definitely at the top of my bucket list. 

Dave in Maine

Every one of the deer in this thread is one to be proud of.  I'd love to hunt the West - pronghorn have long fascinated me, more than mulies or even elk.  

mccuha

Is it realistic to be able to take a pretty decent buck on public land. Is it better to put in for draw areas or can you buy a tag over the counter and have decent luck.  Or would I be better off going with an outfitter who knows what they are doing. Advice is welcome

terrym
1 hour ago, Dave in Maine said:

Every one of the deer in this thread is one to be proud of.  I'd love to hunt the West - pronghorn have long fascinated me, more than mulies or even elk.  

Pronghorn is very easy to do in Wyoming. Many ranchers offer reasonable trespass fees for private land. Do it. Great fun. 

NVChukarChaser

1 hour ago, mccuha said:

Is it realistic to be able to take a pretty decent buck on public land. Is it better to put in for draw areas or can you buy a tag over the counter and have decent luck.  Or would I be better off going with an outfitter who knows what they are doing. Advice is welcome

Yes, you can kill a really good muley or a giant on public land. If you get a good guide you can do it with a draw or General season tag. 

Birdcountry70

This buck was killed by my BIL( now ex-BIL)when I was 13 and he was probably 20.  It has always been a goal of mine to kill a comparable buck but I have never been able to do it. I believe I have seen it's equal twice in my life but bucks like this don't turn up often and they dont make many mistakes.  Maybe someday,  I keep trying. 

2018-02-21 16.56.05.jpg

polecat

Beauty. If you need any help let me know.

hayslope

I’ve hunted them when I lived in CO back in the 80s. Never shot anything sizable.

I always hunted for antlerless elk during a late season on the western side (December). During years with a lot of snow, we could ride horses really close to some crazy big “grand dad” mulies that would be driven down from the higher elevations. I figured they knew they were safe!

If anyone ever visits the entrance to Rocky Mt. Park in Estes Park, keep your camera at the ready. One year we went to the park to take in the elk bugling “concert” and took a photo of three B&C class mulies standing together on someone’s porch. I remember showing the photo to friends - who about had a coronary! I’m sure the bucks in that area just die of old age - having never heard a gunshot!!

max2

2001 Utah

P1000500 (2).JPG