• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Greg Hartman

2018 Bird With Guns

grouse28
7 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Today was apparently a .410 day.  Grouse 28 and I (and the dawgs, of course) went scratching again.  Even though it was damn cold and windy, I brought my M42.  Grouse 28 showed up with his pretty Dickinson .410.  I fired once and missed.  :(  Grouse 28 fired once over a Drummer point and hit - the first phez for his new gun.  A little .410 "pop" and down it came!

3-14-18 - Dave's .410 Dickinson and its first pheasant

I was quite pleased with that bird. My first phez with a 410 since I was about 14 and ground sluiced one running a corn row, ( some people did that back in the day), with a Savage 410/22 combo.

GlennW

LC Smith got the nod for the last grouse hunt of the year,WV red phase.

28336831_930993593726137_6492724482821639598_o.jpg

Greg Hartman

We bumped into quail today.  Took three.  That was enough for one day.  Quail are pretty much a perfect fit with a .410.  Gold quail and real quail (they taste better):

3-20-18 - Today's harvest with the old M42

We are getting buried with yet another Nor'easter tonight and tomorrow.  :(  Glad Joy and I could get out today.

mccuha
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

We bumped into quail today.  Took three.  That was enough for one day.  Quail are pretty much a perfect fit with a .410.  Gold quail and real quail (they taste better):

3-20-18 - Today's harvest with the old M42

We are getting buried with yet another Nor'easter tonight and tomorrow.  :(  Glad Joy and I could get out today.

I’ve been wanting to ask.  How does your bird club work. Do you release them yourself or are they pre released 

Greg Hartman
1 hour ago, mccuha said:

I’ve been wanting to ask.  How does your bird club work. Do you release them yourself or are they pre released 

It's a put-and-take place.  People buy a membership that includes a certain number of birds (the number depends on the level of membership).  Then, when they go to the club, they have however many birds they want that day released before they hunt.  There are also various events, like tower shoots, box bird shoots, corporate hunts, etc.  There had been a corporate quail hunt the Saturday before and that's probably the source for the quail we killed today.

I just scratch hunt there - hunt for birds that have gotten away from the put-and-take hunters.  It's not real hunting, but it is much closer to that than the typical put-and-take preserve hunt.  Often the birds I hunt have been out there for a while, dodging dogs, hunters and predators.  As far as I know, I'm the only person who does this, but I've been involved as the club lawyer, a guide and a member from the very beginning and know the owner well, so they treat me good.  I usually go on days and times when I have the place to myself - never on weekends when there are lots of people there.  It's like real hunting in the sense that you can see nothing on any given day, or there can be quite a few birds around.  I usually only take one or two - rarely three, even on days when I could fill the truck, because I eat them and that's enough at any one time.  You can bump into pheasants, chukar, quail or sometimes huns - you never know what you are going to see until you flush a point.  Most of the birds we take are cock pheasants, however, because they seem to be better at escaping the put-and-take hunters than the other species.

I buy a membership each year and just tell the club how many (if any) birds I've killed on a given day and they mark that off against the birds I've paid for.  It's a good deal for the club, frankly, because I use no staff time to release birds, clean birds, etc; and every bird I kill has been paid for twice - once by the original hunter who had it released and again by me.  It's a good deal for me, too, because it's MUCH more fun than put-and-take hunting; I can go there any time between Sept 1 and March 31 without any prior notice; and it's close enough to my house that if I only have an hour or two on a given day, I can go for a quick hunt with a fair chance of getting the dogs into a bird or two.  I can take friends any time.  I never go to the club if there are "wild" seasons open; and between the club and the wild seasons, my dogs and I get to hunt (or at least get some good exercise by taking an armed walk  :) ) three or four times per week for seven months out of the year.  Sadly, we are nearly done for the year now.

Auto-5

That’s a pretty sweet setup/ opportunity you have. You are a lucky man. Love your m42. It’s a big reason I bought my repro. 

mccuha
18 hours ago, Greg Hartman said:

It's a put-and-take place.  People buy a membership that includes a certain number of birds (the number depends on the level of membership).  Then, when they go to the club, they have however many birds they want that day released before they hunt.  There are also various events, like tower shoots, box bird shoots, corporate hunts, etc.  There had been a corporate quail hunt the Saturday before and that's probably the source for the quail we killed today.

I just scratch hunt there - hunt for birds that have gotten away from the put-and-take hunters.  It's not real hunting, but it is much closer to that than the typical put-and-take preserve hunt.  Often the birds I hunt have been out there for a while, dodging dogs, hunters and predators.  As far as I know, I'm the only person who does this, but I've been involved as the club lawyer, a guide and a member from the very beginning and know the owner well, so they treat me good.  I usually go on days and times when I have the place to myself - never on weekends when there are lots of people there.  It's like real hunting in the sense that you can see nothing on any given day, or there can be quite a few birds around.  I usually only take one or two - rarely three, even on days when I could fill the truck, because I eat them and that's enough at any one time.  You can bump into pheasants, chukar, quail or sometimes huns - you never know what you are going to see until you flush a point.  Most of the birds we take are cock pheasants, however, because they seem to be better at escaping the put-and-take hunters than the other species.

I buy a membership each year and just tell the club how many (if any) birds I've killed on a given day and they mark that off against the birds I've paid for.  It's a good deal for the club, frankly, because I use no staff time to release birds, clean birds, etc; and every bird I kill has been paid for twice - once by the original hunter who had it released and again by me.  It's a good deal for me, too, because it's MUCH more fun than put-and-take hunting; I can go there any time between Sept 1 and March 31 without any prior notice; and it's close enough to my house that if I only have an hour or two on a given day, I can go for a quick hunt with a fair chance of getting the dogs into a bird or two.  I can take friends any time.  I never go to the club if there are "wild" seasons open; and between the club and the wild seasons, my dogs and I get to hunt (or at least get some good exercise by taking an armed walk  :) ) three or four times per week for seven months out of the year.  Sadly, we are nearly done for the year now.

That is a sweet deal. I have been wondering.  We have some places around here that are put and take but it's not a membership type deal. You schedule a hunt and they put out x no. of birds and go kill as many as you can.  It would be a great thing to have a place to do that.  I have property and put out birds all during the year and as well have a johny house where they return to if I don't shoot them. The only problem is I know where they are and don't really have to hunt them. Your opportunity like you said is you actually have to hunt for them.  Thanks for this info. Gregg 

terrym

The club I belong to is a nice setup. We release birds 3 days a week but only the Friday release is a regular one. Members can hunt 6 days a week and the limit is 2 pheasants/day.  What you end up with is some birds can survive most of the season and can get to be pretty smart. They learn quick or get shot but we always have some who survive the winter and hunting season. Our biggest issue is night time predators. We have a group that hound hunts the coyotes and this year they took 60 on our grounds. Lots of hawkes and Owls too. We have great WC hunting on the property too. This year was a great one for them. Grouse are few and seem to flush when you slam your car doors on arrival. 

Greg Hartman
On ‎3‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 4:47 PM, terrym said:

The club I belong to is a nice setup. We release birds 3 days a week but only the Friday release is a regular one. Members can hunt 6 days a week and the limit is 2 pheasants/day.  What you end up with is some birds can survive most of the season and can get to be pretty smart. They learn quick or get shot but we always have some who survive the winter and hunting season. Our biggest issue is night time predators. We have a group that hound hunts the coyotes and this year they took 60 on our grounds. Lots of hawkes and Owls too. We have great WC hunting on the property too. This year was a great one for them. Grouse are few and seem to flush when you slam your car doors on arrival. 

That sounds like a good set-up - avoids the put-n-take scenario which does not challenge any dog worth his/her kibble. "My" club has lots of predators, too - its like a shamorgesbord for them, even though we try to trap the foxes and 'yotes (can't touch the ^%$# hawks).  Oh well, I'm a predator, too.

Greg Hartman

We had 16" of snow yesterday.  After much plowing and shoveling, the nurse was able to make it in today, so Joy and I escaped the house and hit the field (Chase not able to go).  Foolishly took the .410, but the only shot I had was within 25 yards, so the little gun worked fine. Walking was grueling for an old man (Joy ran on top of the snow, I didn't).  Rather to my surprise, we were able to scape up two birds - a rooster that flushed wild (we'll see you again!!) and a hen that held for Joy's point:

3-23-18 - Today's post-blizzard bird with Model 42

Not real hunting, but much better than sitting in the house!!

scottspec2

Oh man we're doing this already?! Although I consider the bird's we shot in Arizona part of my 2017 season, they were had in 2018. The first photo was the last hunting day of our trip, the ducks were one of my favorite mornings down here, and the third photo were the first quail we harvested in the desert.

Resized_20180211_165815Resized (1).jpeg

DSC01156Resized.jpg

DSC01119Resized.jpg

Sage Hen
On 3/20/2018 at 6:52 PM, Greg Hartman said:

As has been said this is a good set up for you in your current situation, I'd just like to add that it is a good set up for us as well getting to see your wonderful bird, gun, and especially dog  pictures over a big chunk of the year.

DAG

DD06E42E-8665-4AEF-99CE-767C871A01E9.jpeg

Bonasa

Nothing from 2018 yet, but I found these...

984BB777-5856-42A1-853A-F46F3E1F0963.jpeg

500F4095-375F-4D3C-852F-B7E8E783DAE8.jpeg

OldSarge

Bonasa, Nice looking pup. It was good to see your name pop up.