FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
dgfavor

YNP New Years

dgfavor

Don't know where this goes...General?  Predators?  Photography?  Round file?

Not a bad way to spend -20F temperatures...xD

406dn

Doug, Thanks for taking me along. And I didn't have to endure the -20 weather.9_9 

charlo slim

Very nice.

Big Al

Neat video.  I bet that bull's heart rate went up a tad when he saw the pack coming.

Brad Eden

Very cool. That really illustrates the difference between the West and northeast. Critters out and about in the wide open. Generally you can't see for more than a few yards here, and the animals stay hidden.

bmeador

Very nice!

Treerooster

Nice.

Bighorn sheep are one of the coolest game animals IMO. Fun to hunt and the taste is exquisite. I wish the were as numerous as deer and elk...or maybe antelope. Too few know the experience hunting them.

gunsrus
1 hour ago, Big Al said:

Neat video.  I bet that bull's heart rate went up a tad when he saw the pack coming.

That's for sure !

406dn
25 minutes ago, Treerooster said:

Nice.

Bighorn sheep are one of the coolest game animals IMO. Fun to hunt and the taste is exquisite. I wish the were as numerous as deer and elk...or maybe antelope. Too few know the experience hunting them.

Yes they are. I've applied faithfully for a tag, more than thirty years now. So far my number has not come up. Hopefully before I can't get around in the mountains, I'll get lucky. The ram in my avatar was just outside YNP a couple years ago. I suspect most of the time he was in the park, but that day he made my brother's and my day.

20151115_120150.thumb.jpg.a8aa4bbcbb2a13710d361b9e8578cda0.jpg

Treerooster
39 minutes ago, 406dn said:

Yes they are. I've applied faithfully for a tag, more than thirty years now. So far my number has not come up. Hopefully before I can't get around in the mountains, I'll get lucky. The ram in my avatar was just outside YNP a couple years ago. I suspect most of the time he was in the park, but that day he made my brother's and my day.

20151115_120150.thumb.jpg.a8aa4bbcbb2a13710d361b9e8578cda0.jpg

I drew a tag the first year of eligibility. Colorado only allows 3 preference points for sheep and I drew my 4th try. That was 1993 and I haven't drawn since.

The year I drew there was a big die off in my unit. Lungworm. I hunted/scouted 34 days and found a bunch of dead sheep including 9 ewes and the rams in the picture. I killed the ram I am holding in my hand. Minimum curl and took him on the last day of my season. I passed on him many times but finally decided to take him. I am glad I did as he was the best red meat I ever ate.

Sheep head pick-ups.jpg

dgfavor

I saw more bighorn sheep this trip than typical.  Kind of surprised me.  I think we were just late for breeding season but saw a couple rams still chasing ewes and eyeballing each other pretty good.  Didn't see any high speed head knockin' though!  Got some video of mountain goats clinging to ridiculous faces but just look like big moving snowballs at the distances we had.

DSC09944a_zpsgprkyxfu.jpg

This one was just a bit too much of a stretch for my 300mm lens to get crisply...he was lookin' pretty large and in charge up on his rim.  He had trio of wolves bedded down not 100yds. from him - not sure if sheep are wolf prey or not...I'm sure given the opportunity they would be:

DSC09896a_zpse92yaq4l.jpg

It was the "Wolf Moon" - the first of 2 supermoons in January.  Was bright, bright, bright!!  Had to do some camera gymnastics to "walk in"a couple good captures of it - posted my favorites in Photog. forum.  Couple more:

DSC09973a_zpsqyo56gdm.jpg

DSC09968a_zpsdsg2tmzj.jpg

Always gotta snap a buffalo or two:

DSC09942a_zpsy6th3nzx.jpg

Fun stuff, my wife and I really enjoy it up there.  First time in my life I used those little toe warmer packet deals...doesn't look like it but -10F in this picture:

DSC09926a_zpsykfa4qd8.jpg

If ya' get a chance, I highly recommend a visit.  "for the benefit and enjoyment of the people" T. Roosevelt ;)

DSC09865a_zps24hjt1bt.jpg

quailguy

Very nicely done ! I do love the west but I hate those winters. At 20 deg I'm huddled around the fireplace.