• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
OldSarge

Ammo Storage Solutions in the home?

OldSarge

Now that it is winter and the big freeze has set in I have been going through my gear. Putting stuff from the hunting seasons away and sorting ammo from vests, etc. I also use the winter months to do some reloading, both shotgun and rifle/pistol. While going through my ammo supply I realized that I have quite a bit more ammo than I used to. I buy ammo when I get gift cards, or I buy components and make a bunch of rounds myself. Anyway, the cup runneth over and I feel like I need a better storage solution than I currently have. Right now I use some ammo cans and shelves under my basement stairwell. I would like to be better organized and possibly more safe in the event of a house fire. I have been thinking about a locking steel cabinet with shelves. I don't think that offers any level of fire safety as far as containing potential projectiles (cook offs), but it's better than what I have now. My wife suggested a gun safe for the ammo. I would need a whopper of a safe to store everything. I considered putting a shelving unit in the garage but it is not climate controlled and I am worried about the risk of condensation or temperature swings ruining my stash. I know there are some serious shooters in this UJ membership so what are some of your ammo storage solutions? Looking for suggestions. Thanks.

WP_20151027_15_48_55_Pro.jpg

lee sykes

plastic coolers.  in the basement. 

Samuel Hoggson

Mostly ammo cans.  Have done so for decades, and have never had a hint of corrosion develop in any. 

Have .30s, 50s, .fat .50s, and 20mm.  Heavier items like bulk .45 ACP or 9mm in the .30s.  Brass, M16 and HK mags in the 20mm cans.  You do not want to fill a 20mm can with .45 ACP cast 230s.  Trust me on this. 

Most loaded ammo in the .50s.  Just make sure the seals are good.  You can buy replacements.  Every once in awhile PSA has a clearance on new .50s - with free shipping - so cheap that buying used seems silly.    

We built shelving to allow stacking 3 cans high per shelf.  Use a step-ladder to get to the fluffy stuff like empty hulls and wad boxes on top.

As for powders and primers, review NFPA rec's.  Always amazes me how people view 50-100# powder as a fire hazard, but think nothing of a 5 gallon gas can containing far more potential Kcals.  In this world perception is king, though.  You can build wood boxes w/requisite 1" walls pretty easy.  Store them in an out building, if able.         

Greg Hartman

Probably like most here, I have a PILE of ammo, components, hulls and brass that need loaded, etc.  I have rifle, pistol and rimfire ammo, but by far the largest quantity in terms of both numbers of rounds and storage space requirements is shotgun ammo and components - what is probably a lifetime supply of all kinds of hunting ammo in .410, 28, 20, 16 and 12 (even some 10 gauge), plus a vast quantity of target loads in .410, 28, 20 and 12.  For lack of a better solution, I have a combination of old metal cabinets, old dressers and shelving in the garage for the loaded ammunition and components other than powder.  Use sealed ammo cans for things like 5.56mm and .22's. 

The garage isn't heated, but it's part of the house, so it never quite gets below freezing in there.  I keep powder in the heated part of the house, because the temperature variations in the garage concern me for power storage.  This set-up is probably far from ideal for many reasons, including fire, but I've never had any ammo problems related to storage. 

The only other alternative for me would be to keep all of this stuff in the big barn with the vehicles, plow, equipment, etc.  This barn is a significant distance from the house and is totally unheated - can be damp, too.  I would worry about damage to ammo stored there, but obviously there would be some fire safety in doing that (my smaller barn burned to the ground a couple of years ago - started a major fire in the woods, too - very scary!!).

5-16-17 - The barn and the two-seater.jpg

I will watch this thread closely for thoughts and suggestions from folks more knowledgeable than me.

Birdcountry70

This is a timely thread since just last week a firefighter in a town south of me was hit in the arm when ammo in a burning trailer house  started exploding.  Apparently they were already hiding behind a pumper truck but somehow he got hit anyway.  My ammo is stacked like yours in a closet in my basement. I have been thinking that I need a better solution too. 

rideold

Interestingly SAAMI doesn't seem to see a problem (http://www.saami.org/specifications_and_information/publications/download/SAAMI_ITEM_202-Sporting_Ammunition.pdf).  I have my small store in the same cabinet as my rifle and shotgun.  Not ideal as I would like to have the ammo under a separate lock than the guns but I figure it's better than no lock at all.  My cabinet is in the basement (conditioned) in a pantry.  Never really thought about fire danger.  This thread has me thinking though.

RDG

Ammo cans here. I've got too much ammo to try and use a safe. I have the plastic and the normal metal cans. I try to separate caliber and long term vs short term. 

Most of my cans Have a desiccant bag thrown in there to help with moisture control. I keep them in the basement where temp never really gets too cold or too hot. I've got ammo from my dad that's probably older than me that looks and shoots just fine. He always kept his ammo in the basement in storage containers. 

Another good storage solution for ammo is those construction job site storage boxes. Big enough to fit slot of ammo and most are lockable. 

Here in the wonderful state of MA, we're required by law to lock-up ammunination and there's some fire code that limits the amount of ammuniation you can store at home. Although you can apply for  permit for extra amounts through your fire department.  

Marc Ret

Ammo cans/ plastic containers locked in a job box in the basement for metallic, .22 and expensive non-lead (Bismuth, TM, etc.) shotgun ammo. 

image.jpeg

SAAMI Video building off rideold's post. 

25/06

Modern powder burns and does not explode.

Ammo in a chamber that cooks off will obviously send a bullet down the barrel

At our local gun range I have helped with cleanup many times after a big shoot. We burn all the debris including empty shells dumped from the trash cans. Many a loaded shell has inadvertently entered the burn pit. The most you will hear is a light pop from a primer. Rifle and pistol cartridges will pop a little louder and If they throw anything it is usually part of the brass

cartridge because the bullet is the heaviest part and usually stays put.

I use a Knack metal job box  like the one above to store my sporting clays shells but I removed the latching mechanism for venting.  The box I have holds about 40 flats of shells depending on the number of sub-gauge.

rideold

That's a pretty interesting video.  Have to watch the whole thing over the weekend.  I like the construction box storage.  

OldSarge

Very informative video. Thanks for posting. Feeling better about my storage plans from a safety standpoint. Only loaded guns in the house are the ones I’m carrying so cooking off in a barrel will not be a problem. Thinking about going with metal shelving cabinet with locking door and ammo cans inside. 

rideold
10 minutes ago, OldSarge said:

Very informative video. Thanks for posting. Feeling better about my storage plans from a safety standpoint. Only loaded guns in the house are the ones I’m carrying so cooking off in a barrel will not be a problem. Thinking about going with metal shelving cabinet with locking door and ammo cans inside. 

Stack-on makes some affordable locking metal cabinets.  They market them as steel security cabinets.

Dave in Maine

Harbor Freight, plastic ammo cans.  Already have holes for padlocks installed in the lip.  Stack nicely, too.

ccavacini
4 hours ago, lee sykes said:

plastic coolers.  in the basement. 

Yep, this.

salmontogue

The following statement varies by state and local jurisdiction.  Any one who comes on your property, indoors or outdoors, and is not a trespasser is considered to be an invitee.  The property owner has a duty (not the same everywhere) to advise an invitee of hazards....icy steps, loose stairs, unfriendly dogs, falling trees etc.  In the event of a fire, the property owner may have a duty of care to inform firefighters of ammunition and powder storage.  In some areas, this extends to fireworks also.  There are limits to the storage of gasoline and regulations that specify approved containers. 

Perk