FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Field Grade

Portable jump-start battery

Field Grade

Anyone have any preferences on a portable emergency jump start battery ( ? )

I see Stanley makes a popular one.

Can you get a decent one for $100 ( ? )

bmeador

I have a Genius Boost.  GB40 Boost + Jump Starter.  12V for up to a 6.0L gas and 3.0L diesel motors.  It recharges from the cig lighter or USB port.  Supposedly has 20 jump starts per charge, I've never had to test that specification.  I love mine, bought it just to have it while hunting in Maine.  It goes wherever I go now as I had to use it once.  I've used it on farm tractors also.  It has a very good light on it also.

I got mine at Autozone for $149, I think - not more.  Like it so much I'm gonna get the wife one for her car.

Field Grade

Thanks! Will check out that model.

WAGinVA

I have a Stanley Fat Max that I bought for my wife.  I have used it a couple of times with no issue.  I do try to remember to charge it every 3 months or so.

RDG

I've got the Quipall 200 amp one and I've bought a few for family and friends.  I think there's a newer model out. Comes witha Bunch of adapters for personnel eletronics. It's always worked when needed. Those little things have a bunch of power for what they are. 

One day I was playing with it and accidentally reversed the clips on a battery. There's a diode in the jumper cable that prevents reverse flow and takes the hit but ruins the cable.  I called the company up and they shipped me two sets of cables for free. Thought that was pretty good of them. 

http://www.advancedtools.com/medco-quip-all-mini-charge-all-intelligent-jump-starter-pcajs400-80273-prd1.htm?productFeedId=0&utm_source=googleBaseFeed&utm_medium=shoppingEngine&utm_campaign=Google&source=productlistings298129256838&origin=pla&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpbSa9s_B2AIVh7jACh0_QAZNEAQYAiABEgIXovD_BwE

Tim Frazier

Amazon has it on sale for $99 right now.  Looks nice.  I have a Stanley I got from Wal-Mart and it has been great, use it for bike and wheelbarrow tires as well.  I like the compact units though and might pick one of these up.

Marc Ret

Timely thread Field Grade. I've been contemplating and reading a bit about these lately for my 7.3L diesel. 

Most of what I've read, it seems like the NOCO Genius Boost line is very well regarded. For under $100 dollars, the NOCO GB40 is a good bet if you're buying for a decent sized gas engine. 

For a bit less money in the same size power range, the DBPOWER 600A is also considered a quality unit. 

WeeWilly

NOCO GB70 is in my kit for 6.7L Cummins.

UplandHntr

Is it possible to have one too large for a vehicle? Would a thousand amps damage a dinky car?

RDG
1 minute ago, UplandHntr said:

Is it possible to have one too large for a vehicle? Would a thousand amps damage a dinky car?

I wouldn't think so.  A battery can't "push" volts, it nearly has the capability to supply them. The device using the voltage determines the "pull" from the battery, in this case the vehicles starter.  

JMc

Have the Jump N Carry JNC 660, works like a champ, great reviews on Amazon.

topdog1961

I've has a small 400amp Schumacher unit from Walmart for maybe 10-12 years. I didn't pay much for it and it doesn't have enough power to start a big motor on a cold day. I bought it for mowers,ATVs..etc.. In that capacity it has worked perfectly to this day. To me, it's unheard of for any battery to take and hold a charge after that many years. In that time I've bought other brands because of good sale pricing and they have come and gone. I highly recommend the Schumachers and they make all sizes. I've had similar good experience with Walmart batteries. 

Field Grade

Fellas, thanks for all the replies, will browse Amazon and Walmart to look for deals today.

rjj

hayslope
18 hours ago, bmeador said:

I have a Genius Boost.  GB40 Boost + Jump Starter.  12V for up to a 6.0L gas and 3.0L diesel motors.  It recharges from the cig lighter or USB port.  Supposedly has 20 jump starts per charge, I've never had to test that specification.  I love mine, bought it just to have it while hunting in Maine.  It goes wherever I go now as I had to use it once.  I've used it on farm tractors also.  It has a very good light on it also.

I got mine at Autozone for $149, I think - not more.  Like it so much I'm gonna get the wife one for her car.

This is the unit that I bought for my wife. Bought it on Amazon.

steveziv

I did a fair amount of shopping before I bought a Weego Heavy Duty 12000 mAh jump starter.

I got it at Cabela's on sale for around $70 I think.  Along with the alligator clamps it came with adapters to fit a variety of phones and computers.

My goals was to have a powerful jumper small enough to keep in my SUV all the time.

I've used it a few times on my boat and cars, pretty slick piece of gear all in a 3" x 5" x 8" box.