Field Grade

Portable jump-start battery

WeeWilly
12 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

So what's the best bet? Genius GB40 1000 amp for around $100 or the Genius GB70 2000 amp at around $200. For anything from a 4 clinder SUV to 8 cylinder truck, possibly a sub-compact tractor (someday), garden tractor etc.? 

I paid $174.95 for my GB70 shipped on EBAY. IMO it's one of the situation's where bigger is better.

Brad Eden

Just got my Genius Boost/GB40 jump starter. JoAnn ordered it for me through her Amazon Prime. Haven't taken it out of box but am amazed at how small it is. 

Greg Hartman
On ‎1‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 6:38 AM, Brad Eden said:

Just got my Genius Boost/GB40 jump starter. JoAnn ordered it for me through her Amazon Prime. Haven't taken it out of box but am amazed at how small it is. 

That's exactly what I have - also bought from Amazon (sometimes I think I should just endorse my check over to Amazon and be done with it  :)  ).  With the various vehicles and equipment I have around here, it's not uncommon to find a dead battery when I need to start one.  This thing works fine on everything so far.  MUCH easier than messing with another vehicle, jumper cables, etc, especially in the cold.  I keep it in the old Jeep because at times the dogs and I go to some pretty remote places in that thing during grouse season where a dead battery would be a major problem - hasn't happened yet, but I am confident the jump starter will work if needed. 

Obviously, you have to keep it charged.  Dunno know how long it will hold a charge - I just charge it every couple of weeks to make sure.

henryrski

I have two that I bought to start the big diesels on my boat. I only carried one at a time and it would spin those big hunks of iron like  a toy top. Unfortunately, they are in PA and I am in FL. But you could get them through marine repair shop that works on the big boys.

gunsrus
On 1/24/2018 at 6:38 AM, Brad Eden said:

Just got mine , added the Caseling case they recommended ,  $16 ( well made) . Charged it and fit it in the case perfect. Good to go !

Brad Eden
13 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

Just got mine , added the Caseling case they recommended ,  $16 ( well made) . Charged it and fit it in the case perfect. Good to go !

I was surprised that it uses a USB cable to charge and not any common electric plug. Also surprised they didn't include the USB charge unit to plug in the wall. I used my iPhone charger in wall outlet and it was fully charged in a few hours. They did included the cigarette lighter type Charge unit for USB. Did you find the charging instructions a little vague? 

Regardless, it's incredibly well designed and attractive, sturdy and compact. That includes the excellent packaging which I appreciate given my commercial art career. I'll have to wait til I can't start something to test it out I guess. 

gunsrus

Yes , the instructions required "huh" . I too was surprised they didn't include the USB plug for the wall . Nice little unit !