• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
ThreeDogs

B&P extra rossa HV 28 gauge??

ThreeDogs

I need to get some high velocity extra rossa 28 gauge shells and can’t find them.

My boys and I spent a couple days hunting gambles in the desert and the b&p high velocity 28s just hammered those tough litttle birds when other shells had them running across the desert floor.

I haven’t been an advocate for high velocity shells in the past but notice a big difference in killing power!

Where can I find them Areostar doesn’t offer them anymore.

Larry Brown

What's the velocity on those?  The B&P Comp Ones are 1280 fps, which is almost the same as the Win AA Super Sports (1300).  I've picked up the Comp Ones for less than $80/flat, which is pretty cheap for 28's.

I also recall noticing that desert quail seem to be harder to kill cleanly than bobwhites.

dogrunner

Win super sports or maybe a little more choke for pellet strikes. 

KerryLuft

For several years I shot a 28 almost exclusively. I found the Winchester Super Sports to be superior to the B&P.  YMMV.

phonefly

I read somewhere in an ad     ---  "formerly known as the Extra Rossa."

Marc Ret

Shinbone's link to B&P shows the "Extra Rossa HV 28ga" load as 15/16oz @ 1312fps. Natchez SS shows a B&P Heavy Dove & Quail 28ga loading as 15/16oz @ 1300fps. I wonder if it isn't the Extra Rossa loading renamed as Phonefly mentioned. 

Curt
4 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

What's the velocity on those?  The B&P Comp Ones are 1280 fps, which is almost the same as the Win AA Super Sports (1300).  I've picked up the Comp Ones for less than $80/flat, which is pretty cheap for 28's.

I also recall noticing that desert quail seem to be harder to kill cleanly than bobwhites.

Larry,

The B&P Extra Rossa 3/4 ounce load is a 1280fps velocity load.  It's just about the only 28 ga load I use and in 7's or 7.5's is a real killer.

RuffChaser
46 minutes ago, T-Bone said:

1300 FPS in a 15/16 oz load at a very good price; they offer a nickle plated shot 3/4 oz. load at the same speed but at a higher price:

http://www.aerostaroutdoors.com/index.php/cPath/21_105

Ah...Natchez looks like the better price! 

Doesn't Aerostar have free shipping?

Marc Ret
33 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Doesn't Aerostar have free shipping?

No. They offer occasional free shipping promos on ammo but shipping is typically an additional cost with them. 

Speedgoat44

15/16 oz at 1300 sounds like a pretty stout 20 gauge load!  I like the sounds of a 3/4 oz load of 7s for most things out of a 28.  Doesn't that fit the parameters of the 'square load' theory upon which the 28's hard-hitting reputation was built?  

studdog

Try Shells R Us.  They handle B&P at good prices.

ThreeDogs

The load I’m looking for is the 7.5 15/16 ounce load at 1330 fps. We shot win 3/4 ounce high velocity and the just weren’t the same they

were up close but at a distance (most of the shots were) that B&P load was still deveststing. Dead birds instead of mostly dead birds that scurry under a prickly pear or giant boulder with there last breath...we recovered a lot more birds with the B&P round.

watermen

Following, I shoot the same load hopefully they continue to make it.  Agree it's a good bird load.