FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
ThreeDogs

B&P extra rossa HV 28 gauge??

KerryLuft
1 hour ago, ThreeDogs said:

The load I’m looking for is the 7.5 15/16 ounce load at 1330 fps. We shot win 3/4 ounce high velocity and the just weren’t the same they

were up close but at a distance (most of the shots were) that B&P load was still deveststing. Dead birds instead of mostly dead birds that scurry under a prickly pear or giant boulder with there last breath...we recovered a lot more birds with the B&P round.

Try the Fiocchi Golden Pheasants in 28.  Nickle plated, 7/8 oz., 1300 fps.

BlacknTan

I liked the B&P F2's alot. So much so that I vowed never to "roll my own" field loads ever again. But, circumstances have a way of throwing roadblocks in our path, and the lack of local availability, and the fact that I cannot have ammo shipped here anymore, caused me to eat my words. So, I found some old AA20F1 wads, dipped into my stash of once fired AA's and bought an overpriced 1 pound container of 800X locally... 15.5 g 800X, a smidgen less than an ounce of copper plated lead, and I'm in business .... again.

zxw6ERZ.jpg

NVChukarChaser

I reload 7/8 ounces of 7s at 1320 FPS and it does great on Chukar. For some reason I have always liked a little more oomph in my 28 gauge loads. 

DavyK

I use the B&P 28 ga. loads quite a bit.  Their standard 3/4 oz. Extra Rossa load uses a short shot cup wad that opens up rather quickly at 1300 fps.  I use them for early season  grouse and woodcock.  On the other hand, the Extra Rossa HV load (now renamed as noted above) uses a full coverage shot cup wad that patterns the 15/16 oz. load much tighter.  I use them in 7 1/2 shot for prairie grouse and in #6 shot for 2nd barrel prairie grouse,  plus for Dakota roosters.  That load turns my 28 ga. into a 40 yard pheasant load with IM choke.  B&P also offers a 1 oz. load of nickel plated #6.  I've purchased a flat and killed a couple of roosters last year with them, but do not have enough history to  make a recommendation as yet.

The WW sporting clays load of 7 1/2 shot is also a good longer range prairie grouse load, as it also holds a nice, tight pattern up to 35 yards.

Got to love the 28 ga., but my experience is that they are sensitive to load and choking and need to be pattern tested at the range you plan to shoot your birds.

Dave

salmontogue
21 hours ago, BlacknTan said:

I liked the B&P F2's alot. So much so that I vowed never to "roll my own" field loads ever again. But, circumstances have a way of throwing roadblocks in our path, and the lack of local availability, and the fact that I cannot have ammo shipped here anymore, caused me to eat my words. So, I found some old AA20F1 wads, dipped into my stash of once fired AA's and bought an overpriced 1 pound container of 800X locally... 15.5 g 800X, a smidgen less than an ounce of copper plated lead, and I'm in business .... again.

zxw6ERZ.jpg

A part time neighbor who is a retired school superintendent from Long Island has his ammo shipped to me in Maine and picks it up when in the area.  That might work for you too if you travel to a state that allows mail order.

Perk

BlacknTan
45 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

A part time neighbor who is a retired school superintendent from Long Island has his ammo shipped to me in Maine and picks it up when in the area.  That might work for you too if you travel to a state that allows mail order.

Perk

I wish that could work for me, but the only relations out of state are in Minnesota, and we don't see them often enough.

It's not that great a difficulty .. I belong to a large club, and a semi comes from PA with most anything I need about three times a year... but, no B&P ammo.

Spin
On ‎1‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 10:44 PM, ThreeDogs said:

I need to get some high velocity extra rossa 28 gauge shells and can’t find them.

My boys and I spent a couple days hunting gambles in the desert and the b&p high velocity 28s just hammered those tough litttle birds when other shells had them running across the desert floor.

I haven’t been an advocate for high velocity shells in the past but notice a big difference in killing power!

Where can I find them Areostar doesn’t offer them anymore.

I see a 28 ga. loading setup in your future! In fact I might catch a glimpse of one on my reloading bench too.

I use to be able to bum a few boxes off my buddy Ed but he's getting wise to my larceny. Maybe a cheap Lee shotgun press.

I don't need but a few boxes.

Hey wait a minute, you have an adult son out hunting with you and he's not supplying the ammo? I( think I can hear my Dad rolling over in his grave!

He used to bring the box lunches and coffee - period. Sandwiches were great and a meal and a half by themselves but the coffee was black as night

and strong enough to float a mules' shoe in it.@ cups and enough caffeine was coursing in your veins any stranger that got a glimpse of you close up they would swear you had St. Vitus' Dance. and You know now that I think about it, he might of fired new shotguns of mine before I did. Quail hunting on fast forward. Maybe I'm a little crazy but I miss those hunting trips together.

NVChukarChaser

Anybody know what wad B&P uses? I think that is the key. That much shot, in a smaller gauge and going that fast needs protection and quality shot.

The wad on the left is the one I use for a 1320fps 7/8 load. Nice thick plastic, 2 petals and deep cup. Next is the Winchester 1 oz wad. Seems a little thin to me and has 4 petals.Last is a Winchester AA HS 3/4 oz wad for their 1300 FPS load. Plastic is plenty thick and has a cushion section.

83E55777-52FC-491F-A8C9-ADEF47E5F7F0.jpeg

NVChukarChaser

Found the B&P wad. Looks very well done. 2 petals and not slit all the way down. This would explain your results.

51B18980-0DE7-4217-9069-06F817256C6D.png

ThreeDogs

I load I have two 28 gauge presses I just have found any load data that matches the b&p load. I used the fiochi Golden pheasant round as well it was better than the Win load but still didn’t match the b&p load...

NVChukarChaser

The latest BPI manual has two 15/16 loads with the HV 28 that are as close as you are gonna get to a B&P wad. They are published at 1315 and 1380 FPS. I have never seen a 15/16 bar. Might have to finally get a universal.

dogrunner

Those sound painful. What powder they using?

NVChukarChaser

They are using Lil Gun. I do the 7/8 at 1320 and I don’t even notice any kick. Knocks Chukar down really well.

Greg Hartman

So, to follow the logic of this theory, a wad with thicker walls and no slits (so it stays in the form of a cup after leaving the gun) would provide the tightest patterns, everything else being equal?

If so, why are nearly all factory wads split into four petals?

This isn't meant as a challenge to anyone's position - it's a real question.

salmontogue

Perhaps but I think it more likely that the non-slit wad would not allow choke constriction to work properly.

Perk