• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
salmontogue

Engraving....too little, enough, too much

salmontogue
1 hour ago, Greg Hartman said:

Perk, this a good gun-crank question for a day like this one when I’m trapped in the house with no nurse coverage. 

We must start out by recognizing that everyone has their own personal opinions on art and aesthetics; and each opinion is equally valid.  Therefore, there is no right or wrong answer to the question.  Whatever a person likes is what he should have. 

Speaking for myself now, in general, I vastly prefer no engraving to almost all of the stamped, rolled, machine-done or etched “engraving” on sees on so many production guns these days.  Horrible.  Much more horrible are the phony “gold inlays”.  Talk about lipstick on a pig!  UGH.

That said, I have recently seen some machine-done “engraving” that looks pretty damn good.  I don’t know how they do it, but it is applied to curved surfaces of the gun like real engraving, not just  in panels on flat areas.  It’s kinda like well-done modern fake high-grade wood – you get a nice look for a fraction of the cost of the real thing.  But of course, you and anyone who is reasonably knowledgeable about such things knows it’s fake.  Bottom line for just me:  I’ll opt for hand engraving; and, if I can't have that, I’ll take no engraving over even well-done fake engraving.

As far as styles and degree of coverage, etc, it depends on the gun for me.  Except for Germanic-style engraving, which I despise, I like many different styles if appropriate to the gun.  For example, I like to see traditional full coverage rose-and scroll on a color case hardened sidelock built in the English game gun tradition.  I like super-fine bulino scroll and foliate; and I like bold, deep-cut scroll and foliate, if well-done.  I like bulino game and dog scenes (but these REALLY need to be well done in order not to look like cartoons).  On American classic guns (rifles and pistols as well as shotguns) I like traditional American engraving in the style of the famous Winchester and Colt factory engravers.

I’ve seen pics of so-called “fantasy” engraving – intertwined female nudes and fantastic animals, etc.  Looks pretty cool, but I don’t think I’d pay to have that done to any of my guns.  I’m more traditionally oriented, I guess.

I’ve seen all sorts of thematic engraving on Kreighoff and Perazzi target guns – cowboy scenes, Greek scenes, baseball and other sports scenes, etc.  NOT a fan of this, well-done or not.

Real gold inlays have to be very, very well-done or they look awful.  Even when well-done, it’s easy to make a gun look like something that should belong to Elton John, instead of a serious upland tool.  I only have one gun with gold inlays and it’s a little Model 42.  You may disagree (remember what I said in the beginning about aesthetics being personal), but I think the miniature gun carries off the elaborate decoration rather well, whereas other guns might not.

Aren’t you sorry you asked??  :)

Nope.  This is a blonde, redhead, brunette, tall, petite, curvy, slender kind of question.  I like all of that but to a varying degrees.  How's that for vague?

61bhs

This is 16ga Sauer that I hunt on nice days. At 6lb 4oz with 29.5” barrels I shoot it as well as any gun I own!

31FDEBBA-8268-422C-AC41-C279BF826457.jpeg

FC8793FB-C394-452C-ADD1-EB12441D5539.jpeg

1B31C936-BC24-4CCB-A2D0-35BD968E9CC0.jpeg

salmontogue
5 minutes ago, 61bhs said:

This is 16ga Sauer that I hunt on nice days. At 6lb 4oz with 29.5” barrels I shoot it as well as any gun I own!

31FDEBBA-8268-422C-AC41-C279BF826457.jpeg

FC8793FB-C394-452C-ADD1-EB12441D5539.jpeg

1B31C936-BC24-4CCB-A2D0-35BD968E9CC0.jpeg

I love Sauers and definitely that one.  Spectacular double gun.

Perk

tut

My favorite of the old Classics is the Linder Daly Diamond grade guns when it comes to engraving.  OMG.  When you hold a good one up and look it over it a combination of some of the best the world had to offer at the time.  

CHARLES-DALY-HAL-LINDNER-DIAMOND-GRADE-10-GA-ANTIQUE-SxS-DOUBLE-SHOTGUN-WITH-30-IN-FULL-FULL-CHOKED_100821535_24163_8ADF11A1FB821CF8.jpg

Marc Ret
7 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I was serious. I look at that gun and see lots of engraving but have no idea whether it's well done or not. I guess if you like it that's good enough??

Absolutely. Buy what appeals to you and enjoy the h*#l out of it!

BTW- I don't think you're giving yourself enough credit Don. 

Zoli 16ga.

Anything they put on a Purdy or H&H works for me.....minus any gold inlay.

JCJ

My preference is Purdey rose & scroll. The nicest I’ve seen was on a pre WWI Purdey. Understated elegance.

Don Steese
6 hours ago, salmontogue said:

I love Sauers and definitely that one.  Spectacular double gun.

Perk

+1!!  

Urban_Redneck

Like  Lee, I find a smile in the time capsule that are the game scenes of 100+ years ago, setters on point, tails level with their back, etc. 

Rule 1 for engraving is always it has to be well executed even when subjected to magnification, lumpy scroll is worse than no scroll.

One gun that stands out was a modern H&H over/under that I spent some time with, when you rotated it and the light caught just right, demons would appear. IIRC, it was engraved in Belgium.

gunsrus

Don't know a lot about British fine guns so really never understood fine engraving .  Steese's gun is something I like . Pure and simple is good . Rose and scroll is nice but I don't like overdone . Heavy Germanic is not my style although I have several Merkels that are spectacular guns (Stump wants em) . Like Hartman , I despise roll , stamped , machined fake engraving just to make the receiver more elaborate . Example is a great gun  , Beretta SP1 . The gun would be so much nicer with just a plain receiver and some border scroll . Honestly , I am still a fan of funeral guns , plain black receiver and spectacular wood . Give me great wood and I'll never notice the engraving . 

Being a Fox guy , I love the DE and XE but am not a big fan of the CSMC FE and the lightning bolt , same with the overdone Exhibition Grade , yech !!!!

Purdy and H&H , never really understood those guns , waaaaay outta my league . 

lee sykes

enhance

salmontogue
22 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

Beautiful gun with old-fashioned but extremely tasteful engraving.

Perk

gunsrus
25 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

Not too much , just enough . I like .

Salmo

1903 Holland and Holland Royal 12 ga..

1A74E3CC-5573-4D49-A429-CCC474E0C581.jpeg

0DBDA44D-8033-42C6-A54D-2DA8994FB3FA.jpeg

54DD1DE2-7AE2-475C-900B-229343368BE4.jpeg