Jump to content
salmontogue

Engraving....too little, enough, too much

Recommended Posts

salmontogue
2 minutes ago, Salmo said:

1903 Holland and Holland Royal 12 ga..

1A74E3CC-5573-4D49-A429-CCC474E0C581.jpeg

0DBDA44D-8033-42C6-A54D-2DA8994FB3FA.jpeg

54DD1DE2-7AE2-475C-900B-229343368BE4.jpeg

 

Exquisite  Do you have both guns in the set?  Not that one isn't heaven.

 

Perk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Salmo
6 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

 

Exquisite  Do you have both guns in the set?  Not that one isn't heaven.

 

Perk

 

I just have the #2 gun. It appears the pair was split up many years ago, but yes, one is heaven!  Mine was refurbished by Holland and Holland for one of their directors in the 1970’s, including a new French walnut stock and new 28”, 2 3/4” chambered barrels. It now weighs 6 lbs., 2 1/2 ozs.  compared to 6 lbs. even, when it was delivered in 1903. The stock was cut from 15 1/2” to 15” and bent to fit me when I bought it.  And yes I do use it, both on the barrens after willow ptarmigan and in the woods after ruffies. Since they became available, I also carry a few Rio Bismuth shells just in case, which worked out this year as I bagged a Black Duck with it, bringing the species it’s taken for me to three.  I’ve also shot quite a few rounds of sporting clays with it, matching the admittedly mediocre scores I make with a dedicated 7 1/2 lb. S/C Browning O/U.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
salmontogue
2 minutes ago, Salmo said:

 

I just have the #2 gun. It appears the pair was split up many years ago, but yes, one is heaven!  Mine was refurbished by Holland and Holland for one of their directors in the 1970’s, including a new French walnut stock and new 28”, 2 3/4” chambered barrels. It now weighs 6 lbs., 2 1/2 ozs.  compared to 6 lbs. even, when it was delivered in 1903. The stock was cut from 15 1/2” to 15” and bent to fit me when I bought it.  And yes I do use it, both on the barrens after willow ptarmigan and in the woods after ruffies. Since they became available, I also carry a few Rio Bismuth shells just in case, which worked out this year as I bagged a Black Duck with it, bringing the species it’s taken for me to three.  I’ve also shot quite a few rounds of sporting clays with it, matching the admittedly mediocre scores I make with a dedicated 7 1/2 lb. S/C Browning O/U.  

 

I have wonderful memories of many hunting trips in Newfoundland with my uncle Charles.  Our primary hunts involved moose and caribou but we also bagged some ducks.  My uncle held dual citizenship as do I.  My memory is that most trips were out of Corner Brook.  You live in wonderful country.

 

Perk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GB Jack
On 1/6/2018 at 8:07 AM, tut said:

I'm a scroll guy for the most part.  Germanic engraving I find a tad harsh.   Well done birds are fine, but bad birds draw your eye right to it.  There are lots of folks out there who can do decent scroll, but I've seen some really hosed up birds on guns.   One of the best currently out there for scroll is Robert Strosin.  He has done some rather amazing work.  I like the modern graver for custom gun work, but if I want classic gun work then its hammer and chisel time.   

 

FWIW, I've had a modest amount of work done on a piece by Bob and have had some traditional hammer stuff done by Gournet.  Firearm Engravers Guild of America (FEGA) is a good source to see who is out there doing really exceptional work these days.  

 

 

Tom, would you still consider this rose and scroll? I would , but it’s a mid 90’s arietta I have that I don’t use often, it’s a rarer model , that I still can’t get exact clarification on. The Smurf thinks it was a custom order gun.

 

 

B0B5C8A5-13D1-46BB-AEDC-3C7A61EF6296.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
tut
7 hours ago, GB Jack said:

Tom, would you still consider this rose and scroll? I would , but it’s a mid 90’s arietta I have that I don’t use often, it’s a rarer model , that I still can’t get exact clarification on. The Smurf thinks it was a custom order gun.

 

 

B0B5C8A5-13D1-46BB-AEDC-3C7A61EF6296.jpeg

 

I would call that rose and scroll for sure.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PartridgeCartridge

I kinda like this...

 

100_0345-3.jpg

 

100_0341-1.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bamboozler
9 hours ago, GB Jack said:

****snip****

 

but it’s a mid 90’s arietta I have that I don’t use often, it’s a rarer model , that I still can’t get exact clarification on. The Smurf thinks it was a custom order gun.

 

 

B0B5C8A5-13D1-46BB-AEDC-3C7A61EF6296.jpeg

It's an Arrieta Model 578, easily determined by its 5-pin locks and typical Purdey-style rose & scroll engraving; one of Arrieta's most popular offerings.  All Arrietas were made-to-order -- whether for an individual or to a dealer for their inventory.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sidelock
49 minutes ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I kinda like this...

 

100_0345-3.jpg

 

100_0341-1.jpg

Is that custom engraving or factory, what make is the gun ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PartridgeCartridge
27 minutes ago, sidelock said:

Is that custom engraving or factory, what make is the gun ?

That is my own engraving pattern I consigned to Arrietta.  I also sent aspen leaves to them and the bottom of the action is covered in aspen. My initials on the trigger guard as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GB Jack
1 hour ago, bamboozler said:

It's an Arrieta Model 578, easily determined by its 5-pin locks and typical Purdey-style rose & scroll engraving; one of Arrieta's most popular offerings.  All Arrietas were made-to-order -- whether for an individual or to a dealer for their inventory.

Thank you!!!! You have no idea how hard it’s been for me to find out about this!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
quailguy

I have 2 Parker DHEs that are hand engraved and that I like. They have a bit too much empty space for me. I'm also lucky enough to have 2 AYA nr 2s with their scrolled on engraving. To me it's better than nothing at all. I also have a 1905 AJ Aubrey with the bowling ball birds with wings that is really comical. 

 

 Dave's Arrietta is one I really like and Greg H's A&S is very different but very well done.

 

 So what I'm saying is that I really like nice hand engraving, but scroll is better IMHO than nothing at all. Tight Purdey style rose and scroll or H&H style floral type engraving are my favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Steese
2 hours ago, PartridgeCartridge said:

I kinda like this...

 

100_0345-3.jpg

 

100_0341-1.jpg

 

Anybody who doesn't like that is a commie pinko!! :x

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Don Steese
49 minutes ago, GB Jack said:

Thank you!!!! You have no idea how hard it’s been for me to find out about this!!

 

Guess the little gal in your cell phone wasn't much help??   Leave it to the knowledge bank here on the UJ!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
steveziv

I like rose & scroll.

I like well executed game scenes.

I dislike deep relief engraving (like an SPII  for instance)

I dislike plain case coloring, but really like it under engraving (like this A-10)

Connecticut-Shotgun-A10-Rose-and-Scroll-

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
bamboozler
2 hours ago, GB Jack said:

Thank you!!!! You have no idea how hard it’s been for me to find out about this!!

You're welcome, but I have no idea why you would find this information difficult to find . . . you could have simply gone to Arrieta's website to see their standard engraving patterns. Arrieta's Model 803 has a similar pattern, albeit finer, but the number of pins make deciphering the model's differentiation pretty easy.

http://www.arrietashotguns.com/en/product/handmade-shotguns

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×