• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
MAArcher

Preparing for euthanasia

Brad Eden
8 minutes ago, DonT said:

Besides explaining the cycle of life, what has helped me is having another dog or a puppy.  

Yes, that goes for adults too. When the late great Jake died suddenly, Cash was a puppy. If Cash didn't need me I'd have been overwhelmed with grief, and may not have gotten another dog.

dogrunner

I’m never prepared for it. Sometimes it comes when your not expecting.  

Speedgoat44

Would you let your kids know that you were taking her in so they could say 'goodbye' or just tell them after the fact that she'd been put down?

RDG
12 minutes ago, Speedgoat44 said:

Would you let your kids know that you were taking her in so they could say 'goodbye' or just tell them after the fact that she'd been put down?

Think it depends on the age of the kid.  My kids were 2 and 5... too young to fully understand.  We told them after. Kids thought our dog was going to the vet for a check-up but we have them give her a hug before we left. 

crmartin

one day she could no longer stand.  emergency trip to vet.  discussed but no real alternatives.  still cannot describe but stayed.  the last thing she saw was me.  it has been nearly eight years but still think of her often and so many good times we had together. only advise, be there until it's over.  it is painful but they deserve no less

sprocket
1 hour ago, crmartin said:

one day she could no longer stand.  emergency trip to vet.  discussed but no real alternatives.  still cannot describe but stayed.  the last thing she saw was me.  it has been nearly eight years but still think of her often and so many good times we had together. only advise, be there until it's over.  it is painful but they deserve no less

I feel the pain conveyed in your words Sir.  They tell the story better than I could but mine was a bit over 30 years ago.

In other news:  My older brother called - his dog is going fast - it's complicated but the short of it is that this thread helped me get him some great advice for his situation - So thank you "Brothers-In-Dogs" for your help in a hard time. 

"An Intangible and positive difference in my life" = UJ Forums and the members thereof.  I'd use the term "Finest Kind" but we'd all end up arguing over sxs vs o/u or what bird is really king (#pumpgunducks).  The reality is, when you need a hand on the shoulder - All here can answer the call and genuinely understand, solemnly console you then politely bust your balls to break the tension.

Thank you All

MAArcher
On 1/11/2018 at 6:29 AM, gunsrus said:

A few months ago we lost our 16 yo GSP . We knew it was coming . Two , three months before he passed , he was demanding his treat time while I was sitting in the recliner . He was a "talker" and my wife had just given him his treat so he figured he could hit me up and get a second . I thought it was hilarious so I took a video talking back to him while he moaned and talked back demanding his treat . I was so happy after he passed that I had that video if for nothing else I was able to justify how vibrant and alive he was as opposed to the day we decided it was time . It really helped with the pain . 

Yes, if avoiding regrets is something folks would like to do, take more pics and video.  I usually get all wrapped up in the moment and don't like to take pics when I'm hunting.  But now I really wish I had a few more, especially of the later years.    

sschultz

Hard to type when you can't see the keyboard. But our GWP was 16 abs delveloped  a tumor on her pancreas and started having multiple seizures. She loved car rides but hated the vets office. We asked the vet to come out to the car and she left with us by her side. It's never easy.

Islander

This thread reminds me why I love dog people.  I am young still and have only had to go through the heartbreak of euthanizing one dog this past June.  We knew our retriever was not doing well, he was getting old and slow, and then one weekend he stopped eating.  By Sunday he lost control of his back legs and could barely move.  We knew it was time then.  

Normally I am not a very spiritual person.  But in the last two years of that dog's life, I had a half a dozen dreams or so in which his old knee injuries would get worse, he would get hurt or would even die.  But after his passing, those never game back and one night I had one very vivid dream in which Riley was happy, healthy and playing with my recently deceased grandfather in his backyard, just like they did when he was younger.  That random dream, in which I saw him running again, made everything better.

One of my hunting partners who does some woodworking carved this box for me to keep his ashes in.  They'll follow me for the rest of my time on this earth.   26230167_1539195639467668_10052092280023

marysburg

This has been such an emotional and touching discussion, and UJ hosts a remarkable group of people.   We really are all connected to one another through the dogs.  In the end, it is all for them.