FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
studdog

Pheasant hunting outfitter recommendations

studdog

Looking for recommendations on outfitters for 2018 wild pheasant hunting.  We've had successful trips to  SD but we're thinking about Kansas.  Don't need fancy dancy just a quality middle of the road outfitter focused on great hunting experience for our dogs and us. Any ideas appreciated.  George

Zoli 16ga.

ditto 

KDGJ

As an alternative, you can always hunt the WIHAs in KS.  There are a lot of acres enrolled (some good and some worthless).  Opening day is a zoo on the WIHAs, but it usually calms down after a few weeks.  Don't expect bird numbers like SD.

Ken

quailguy

http://www.raderlodge.com/

I am not in any way affiliated with Rader's but I have seen and talked to them and some of their clients some years ago. There are for sure some birds in their area. I believe there are new owners now, so other than noting I've been there a few years ago that's all I have.

Perhaps KBD or some one with more local knowledge can add more info.

tut

PM sent

studdog

Thanks Guys.  George

Steelheadfred

http://northernplainsoutfitters.com/

Had a great time here in 2012, super people, I'm not a "lodge" type guy, but a number of us "Sons' took our father's on this trip and it worked out great. It was all wild bird hunting, and it is true wild birds, the land they own and lease is not typically "managed" in a fashion that sets up some lodge type hunts. They do the little things though that make it great on those grounds. 

Fritz

studdog

Thanks Fritz,  Looks like their in SD not Kansas?  George

MoSpaniels

You might Call Kevin Wood   785-917-0904.

He is in the north and central part of the state of KS. He is probably still taking some bookings for the 2018 season. Very adept Guide/ Pheasant hunter/ and dog trainer.

Tell him Mark from Horsecreek sent you.

Steelheadfred
2 hours ago, studdog said:

Thanks Fritz,  Looks like their in SD not Kansas?  George

Sorry, should have read more clearly. 

Fritz

studdog

Still looking for outfitter recommendations?  I appreciate your input and I am researching the results. The weather in Kansas looks a lot more favorable for late season hunt than SD>  How about Nebraska?

Chukarman

You might talk to Stan boles in Liberal, Kansas. I believe that he is still in business. 

Larry Brown

Assume you're looking for wild birds only???

studdog

Wild birds.   I've seen one outfitter who hunts wild Pheasants in the morning and sharptails in the afternoon.  That sounds fun.  I do believe most also supplement wild birds with spring release of preserve birds like South Dakota.

Fireside
19 hours ago, studdog said:

Wild birds.   I've seen one outfitter who hunts wild Pheasants in the morning and sharptails in the afternoon.  That sounds fun.  I do believe most also supplement wild birds with spring release of preserve birds like South Dakota.

Kansas does not have sharptail, are you thinking prairie chickens perhaps?  And as far as the same place offering both wild birds and "spring release of birds"..... that reminds me of the old days when restaurants offered smoking and non-smoking sections.  Did anyone really think that made a restaurant smoke-free/wild?