FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
salmontogue

On the subject of mail order ammo

salmontogue

What are your experiences and who are your favorites?

Here in Downeast Maine, the nearest Cabelas or BassPro are nearly 300 miles distant which leaves us with the limited selection at Walmart or mail order.

Perk

steveziv

The only mail order ammo I've ever bought was from Cabela's.  It was .410 AA on sale, free shipping plus the AA rebate.

The guys I shoot with wait for the Cabela's/Herter's sale to stock up.

I reload "lite" ammo so its rare that I'm looking for ammo to buy. 

boilermaker

Have had good luck with these guys, although haven't bought since the election:

https://www.targetsportsusa.com/

RDG

Target sports USA is great.  Not the best selection for shells but awesome pricing for rifle/handgun ammo. Plus free shipping on bulk ammo.  

Plus us for those of us in MASS, they publicly stated they will ship to us.  

charlo slim

Roger's Sporting Goods is often pretty tough to beat.  Website is currently showing free shipping for all ammo orders over $100, so maybe worth a look to see if they have what you need.

Craig Doherty

RST for shot shells -- Ammunition store and others for pistol cartridges.  Never had a problem. 

Samuel Hoggson

Positive experiences, in no particular order:  Aimsurplus, Ammoman, Recob, PSA, Wideners, Dunns, Cabelas, Grafs, Midway, Powder Valley, Target Sports, Polywad, RST, Aerostar, Natchez, Berrys, Bayou Bullets, Able Ammo, and Ballistic Products.

Favorites:  Aim, Recob, PSA, Midway, Powder Valley, Bayou.  Hate to think of how much money I've sent to Aim and Midway, but the UPS drivers are on a first name basis with my labs.........9_9.  

One very minor complaint with Aerostar - sometimes need to tape individual B&P boxes else they fall apart.  Outside packaging always seems good.  Funny but had the same issue buying from B&Pusa, and even from Mike Dotson.......that was eons ago.  So must be a factory B&P issue. 

I'd list negatives 'cept have had none.  Come to think of it that's pretty amazing.  Or maybe just luck?  

Don Steese
3 hours ago, Craig Doherty said:

RST for shot shells

I pretty much don't buy anywhere else. Good stuff, made in Pennsylvania, and shipped to your door. 

Kansas Bound
4 hours ago, charlo slim said:

Roger's Sporting Goods is often pretty tough to beat.  Website is currently showing free shipping for all ammo orders over $100, so maybe worth a look to see if they have what you need.

Rogers hands down!!!

KerryLuft

Day in and day out for hunting loads -- particularly nontox -- Rogers.

Brownells has been good for target loads if you watch for sales/cheap shipping.  I used to buy a lot from Able's but my club started getting their Bornaghi shells at the same price that I paid to have them shipped.  Easy enough just to get a flat on-site.

Curt

I'm pretty lucky because I have a large ammo distributor less than an hour and a half away that offers good pricing on flats of many makes of shotshells, reloading supplies, etc.  As a result I rarely order ammo on line or mail order any more.

Back when Mike Dotson was the B&P ammo distributor I used to order from him quite often.  When he was clearing out his inventory in preparation for closing his ammo business I took the opportunity to stock up on the B&P shells I liked best at very good prices.  I still have several years to go to work my way through those.

sneem

In general I just wait for the free shipping from Cabela's. I particularly watch for the Herter's 16 ga ammo on sale. It happens once or twice a year and can't be beat. 

Rogers is great but I live about 40 minutes from there and love to walk the isles. If you haven't  been there, its like a Home Depot for ammo. Pallets of ammo racked and stacked. A sight every shooter should see once in their life.

Greg Hartman

I've mail-ordered hunting ammo many times from various place - never had a problem of any kind.  Generally, however I buy my target ammo and loading components in bulk from a warehouse/wholesale type place called Richland Arms in Lebanon County.  When I drive up there once a year or so, I usually buy in quantity to save money and the truck is hanging pretty low on the way home, but I've saved the shipping costs.  :)

Urban_Redneck

I've purchased several flats of 2 1/2" 12 ga from classic shooting this year. I am very satisfied with the shells and their service. For blaster and self defense ammo SGammo has been great. I find RST's site a little confusing and my inquiries have gone unanswered, sad because I've used their ammo since their beginnings in NH.

Dongotto

Rogers is awesome! Just picked up 2 flats of Rio Blue Steel 2 3/4in #3 and with their sale price and free shipping it came out to $7.50 a box.