salmontogue

On the subject of mail order ammo

Scrappy

Rogers.

Treerooster

I buy shotgun shells by the case. Whenever I get low (low defined as not enough to get me through a season) I look for sales and free shipping and starting at the end of the season. Have bought from Cabela's, Mack's, Able ammo and Sportsman's Warehouse fairly regularly with no problems. I don't ignore the local Walmart either if they carry the shells I need, dove loads mostly.

A516

I was heading south on I-35 and planning on stopping at Rogers Sporting Goods a few years ago.  A snow storm had me stop for 2 days while the interstates were cleared.  I headed south knowing that a large ice storm was close by and if I didn't start heading east I would be iced in for days.  Got to RSG and it was snowing.  I couldn't help myself and bought several cases of shotgun shells.  As this old man was pushing his loaded buggy out the door a young woman who worked there asked if I needed help loading my truck.  Before I could answer she and two young men were going out in the snow and ice with me.  One got up in the truck bed and the other two handed up the cases of shells.  The young lady loaded the cases in my truck tool box.  Then they put the remaining cases inside my truck.  I will always be grateful to them and do business with RSG when possible.

As a side note I got on I-70 East after the ice storm had started and made it to St. Louis where it was just raining.  I followed the same semi for most of the trip on icy roads.  Then headed south on I-55.  A harrowing trip but the old 98 Ford F-150 made it again.

charlo slim
2 hours ago, Dongotto said:

Rogers is awesome! Just picked up 2 flats of Rio Blue Steel 2 3/4in #3 and with their sale price and free shipping it came out to $7.50 a box. 

Ahhh, so nice to see that there are still some sensible 12 ga steel loads on the market..... and also that some folks are sensible enough to be using them (rather than the ones that scramble your synapses and loosen your fillings).

DennisMcFeely

I've bought from Rogers, Cabelas, RST and Mack's.  Rogers seems to be the best as far as good deals and delivery times.

MTPipeliner

Rogers and Mack’s mostly, and just recently from American Marksman.  Good experiences all around.  I haven’t bought steel shot except by mail order for several years now, local prices are nearly double what I can order it for.  

Chukarman
On 1/7/2018 at 1:43 PM, Don Steese said:

...made in Pennsylvania, and shipped to your door. 

Not if you live in California. 

Don Steese
5 hours ago, Chukarman said:

Not if you live in California. 

I didn't know that. Are there other states that have such a ban?

BlacknTan
13 hours ago, Don Steese said:

I didn't know that. Are there other states that have such a ban?

Yes Don, ... NY, for one.

TonyS

No longer a concern in California.  Thanks NRA!

mister grouse

Rogers gets all my waterfowl business; always the least expensive steel shot and always free shipping on steel.  If you buy when the rebates are in place the savings are very significant compared to buying shells in smaller quantities and with no rebate  

henryrski

Greg, is Richland the old Shydas or the place by the high school(sorry name escapes me).

Greg Hartman
6 minutes ago, henryrski said:

Greg, is Richland the old Shydas or the place by the high school(sorry name escapes me).

No. Shyda's exists near the Lebanon VA Hospital.  It's a regular big retail gun store.  Richland Arms is in the tiny town of Richland, PA - it's basically just a warehouse with a tiny attached gunshop and two grumpy Springers.  Their prices on bulk ammo and components are very good and I can usually find what I want.

Bill Calton

First off, I have not purchased any ammo on line, have bought reloading supplies.  I looked at prices on some 28 ga shells from some of the sites listed above and looked at Hinterlands.  They were lower on the Winchester ammo and have that flat rate shipping.  I have observed that when WalMart has what I want it is usually cheaper.

fourtrax57
On 1/7/2018 at 11:50 AM, steveziv said:

The only mail order ammo I've ever bought was from Cabela's.  It was .410 AA on sale, free shipping plus the AA rebate.

The guys I shoot with wait for the Cabela's/Herter's sale to stock up.

I reload "lite" ammo so its rare that I'm looking for ammo to buy. 

+1.

I order the Herters 16 ga shells from Cabelas when they run the sale / sipping special.