salmontogue

On the subject of mail order ammo

WMassGriff

No mail order of ammo in Massachusetts. No mail order of reloading components (powder, bullets, etc) either. Very frustrating. Lucky my sister lives in NH for the components.

Chukarman
On 1/11/2018 at 7:58 AM, TonyS said:

No longer a concern in California.  Thanks NRA!

Prop 63 is IN FORCE. Can I have some of what you''re smokin'?

RDG

1 hour ago, WMassGriff said:

No mail order of ammo in Massachusetts. No mail order of reloading components (powder, bullets, etc) either. Very frustrating. Lucky my sister lives in NH for the components.

Don't listen when people tell you that.  It's not true.  There is no law in MA that prohibits mail order of ammunition or reloading supplies in MA. FedEx just dropped off some 9mm rounds this morning at my house. 

Theres a lot of companies that won't ship to MA because of our stupid laws. And the AG likes to go after companies that do ship and threaten to sue by her "interpretation" of the law.  

The companies that do ship to MA are few and far between. And most people won't talk about them on a public forum.

Edit: I changed my mind.

Target Sports USA is the big company that ships to MA. Their now pretty public about it. The AG recently tried to shut them down and they lawyered up and fought back. They will still ship to MA with a valid LTC/FID. Companies like them deserve our support.  

ccavacini
On 1/7/2018 at 12:50 PM, steveziv said:

wait for the Cabela's/ sale to stock up.

Yep, this

WMassGriff

RDG: Thanks, I agree about our "attorney general" being a PIA about anything gun related. I guess she got to the one's I had done business with.

I usually stock up on  when I visit LLCote on my trips to Maine but will check out Target Sports.

airmedic1

I'm a member of Spotsman's Guide and buy most of my ammo there when they offer free shipping and I get some from Cabela's, also when they have free shipping. Ballistic Products has a good price on Kent Fastlead 16b shells when I need them.

garyRI

Checking around I find Midway usually has the cheapest pricing but I have never tried Rogers and will now.

Larry Brown
On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2018 at 3:43 PM, Don Steese said:

I pretty much don't buy anywhere else. Good stuff, made in Pennsylvania, and shipped to your door. 

Good stuff for sure, and works well for hunters.  But quickly gets pricey if you shoot many targets.  Much cheaper options available at local Wally or chain sporting goods stores.

charlo slim

Something I neglected to mention here.  I am fortunate to have a fairly nice little sporting goods / outdoor store in a small town about 5 miles from my door.  They seem to be doing OK, given the substantial challenges of relatively low population locally, increased mail / internet shopping, and major outdoor chain stores located about 50 miles either north or south.  I value their presence and am willing to pay substantially above "rock bottom" prices for things in order to support the operation. Use it or lose it, I figure, so I do buy some ammo from them.  Would likely buy more if they stocked more variety in sensible steel loads rather than than the "gimmick" stuff  (stupid speeds and recoil, trick wads for even tighter patterns, pellets shaped like everything but gummy bears).  Expensive and counter-productive solutions looking for a problem, IMO.

Chukarman
1 hour ago, charlo slim said:

Something I neglected to mention here.  I am fortunate to have a fairly nice little sporting goods / outdoor store in a small town about 5 miles from my door.  They seem to be doing OK, given the substantial challenges of relatively low population locally, increased mail / internet shopping, and major outdoor chain stores located about 50 miles either north or south.  I value their presence and am willing to pay substantially above "rock bottom" prices for things in order to support the operation. Use it or lose it, I figure, so I do buy some ammo from them.  Would likely buy more if they stocked more variety in sensible steel loads rather than than the "gimmick" stuff  (stupid speeds and recoil, trick wads for even tighter patterns, pellets shaped like everything but gummy bears).  Expensive and counter-productive solutions looking for a problem, IMO.

I think you have the right attitude. A local sporting goods store can be a hub for the hunting community. You won't find that at Cabella's or Dicks. 

steveziv
On 1/11/2018 at 10:58 AM, TonyS said:

No longer a concern in California.  Thanks NRA!

Interesting response, sarcastic I assume.  Here in MD I feel largely abandoned by the NRA.  We have increasingly strict gun laws, a rabidly anti-gun Attorney General and a handful of blue counties writing laws for entire state.  I guess the NRA writes MD off as a lost cause and a waste of resources.

RDG
31 minutes ago, steveziv said:

Interesting response, sarcastic I assume.  Here in MD I feel largely abandoned by the NRA.  We have increasingly strict gun laws, a rabidly anti-gun Attorney General and a handful of blue counties writing laws for entire state.  I guess the NRA writes MD off as a lost cause and a waste of resources.

Word for word...same thing for MA. I'm a NRA member  because the range I belong to requires it for membership, part of our bylaws. I'd rather my money go toward G.O.A.L.... our in state lobbying group for 2A rights.  The NRA has pretty much given up on MA, NJ, NY, CT, MA and CA. 

Bobonli

No direct mail order permitted in NY under the SAFE act. But you can have it shipped to a FFL shop and I’m fortunate to have one that will accept orders and transfer for free. The catch is that not all online dealers will even do this; the minute they see NY in the address—even if it’s a shop- they reject it. I went through 3 places before I got to Able ( not the cheapest) to ship to the shop. And the shipping fee was nearly the cost of a case of ammo. 

Frustrating!  Where I am, the options are Dicks, Field and Stream, and a couple of mom and pop shops. None of them seem to have what I want when I want it. Dicks stopped carrying Rio, ralrely have any Fiocchi. I needed #5 shells for a hunt and none of the shops had them; just giant turkey loads. On Long Island, its all about the deer and turkey, so that’s what they stock for. Oh, and ARs and handguns!

Don Steese
13 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Good stuff for sure, and works well for hunters.  But quickly gets pricey if you shoot many targets.  Much cheaper options available at local Wally or chain sporting goods stores.

Yes, I meant to mention that RST's are mostly for guys who don't go through flat after flat.  I miss a lot but a flat will still last me quite a while!!:P

gunsrus
3 hours ago, Don Steese said:

Yes, I meant to mention that RST's are mostly for guys who don't go through flat after flat.  I miss a lot but a flat will still last me quite a while!!:P

Agree , RST's can get pricey but I buy sub gauge shells from them and don't shoot a lot of them at SC . 

On another note RST's would not ship to Ma for the last few years  , I just ordered a couple flats and they were able to ship directly to my door . Thank you NRA and GOAL .