FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
salmontogue

Everyone is not a collector so.........

salmontogue

The baseline here is that we are hunters, love scatterguns and would be lost without our dogs.  Our choices beyond that are personal but very interesting. This topic is all about shotguns but rifle and handgun thoughts are welcomed.

Do you prefer to hunt with antique original, antique restored, antique customized, semi-modern or recent modern?  Perhaps a combination?

There is no right or wrong answer here.  As for me, I have far too many but love them all, just to varying degrees but love them I do.

Perk

jackh

Combination. I love my Elsie 16ga  (1949 original) immaculate condition.  I love the feel, the way it mounts, and I shoot it well. Although, I have killed everything from Woodcock, grouse, and quail to geese, duck, and cranes with it; I have to use Bismuth for waterfowl. I've carried it all over and we share history; is comfortable, like an old, worn boot. 

Conversely, I have a Browning Gold Evolve, 12 ga auto, that is as close to a magic wand in my hands as I'll ever get. It too, has made every track the Elsie has over the last 10 yrs or so (this is my traveling pair). I can clean it blindfolded and know every edge and angle by "feel". It's handy for everything from quail to geese, but can handle the heavy loads and steel. 

Although, I have several other nice shotguns (and some family heirloom guns), these two are my main "shooters". They couldn't be more different in asthetics and feel, but they are both equally loved and equally lethal...like having a pair of fraternal twins :-)

Dongotto

I prefer blue steel and black walnut. Yes English walnut to. Lol. I like vintage doubles, and my old sweet sixteen A5.

Snipeaholic

I love the one I’m with.

Samuel Hoggson

Not sure how to apply "antique" for purposes of discussion.  Maybe C&R eligible? 

Most always choose those that best deliver the goods for me.  With respect to wingshooting "best" translates as prewar Winchester M-12s and 42s.  Some I've owned/used were not in original condition.  Over time most such have gone down the road.  Have a soft spot for the 48AL20.   

Have a pile of original condition prewar leverguns and sometimes think about taking a whitetail out back with one.  I'd even clobber a porkie with the Hoggson engraved 1866 if I could afford .44RF shells.  Then, could be just as satisfied dragging an HK91 out back during deer season. 

But when the flights of imagination and nostalgia clear a 700 in whatever .300 mag inevitably gets the nod.  Boring, yeah.      

tut

Related to shotguns only, I'm a classic double gun guy.  I like original finish guns unless they fit so poorly that they require a restock to shoot them well.  I also have a soft spot for upgraded original guns, but only those that are well used.  I'd never take a gun with 50 percent case color and perfect everything else and use it as a candidate for upgrade.  The only exception is turkey hunting.  I go modern in that regard for the most part, although I do go out a few times a year with a classic sxs and chase the big birds.  PS.  I love Foxes, Parkers and Ithaca NID's are ok (field grade guns), but don't like L.C. Smiths at all.  I do have a soft spot for a Sweet 16 Browning.  That is a classic for sure. 

WyomingArt

Go-to shotgun is a 1950's Superposed  20 w/ honest wear and dings. Sold and downsized, kept the simple stuff; couple 12's , a 30-06 bolt and 45-70 lever rifle, couple revolvers.

Simple is good for right now.

Brad Eden

I'm not a collector but prefer to hunt with the right tool for the job, be it a shotgun or rifle or dog. Nothing fancy, but affordable, familiar and dependable.

Tom Avent

I would love to say I am an American classic shotgun user(specifically Foxes). However, I find them to be on the heavy side or extremely hard to find with shootable dimensions. When you can find a smaller gauge with good dimensions you might as well rob Fort Knox to try and buy one. 

I find that good quality English boxlocks are the best handling guns for the money.

NVChukarChaser

I have seen a Citori stock snapped and a Beretta forearm the same. Priceless and irreplaceable guns have no place on the Chukar mountain. I still like nice guns but cringe when they hit their first piece of rimrock. 

Rifles-I consider a tool. Buy the best I can but they don’t do it for me. 

Pistols are like insurance. Also don’t do it for me. Buy the cheapest one that will cover your six in a bad spot.

A backyard bred Brittany is as good as they come. I shot over a 100 birds a year over my Brit out of a local backyard. Nothing fancy but but he bleeds drive and is all heart. 

Spider

Pretty easy answer for me: I prefer to hunt/shoot with guns I shoot well. I don't care how beautiful or historically significant a gun is, if I don't shoot it well it does nothing for me.  One of my favorite guns is my Dad's Remington 11-48 in 28-gauge.  Killed a lot of dove and quail with that gun.  Another is a pretty little Beretta 391 20-gauge.  Yet another is a battered synthetic stocked Benelli M1 that has killed an awful lot of pheasant and waterfowl. 

NECarson

Not a gun guy. At all. I love bird dogs.

My family didn't hunt. Zero history or heritage there. Very urban upbringing for both parents on both sides.

The only real gun context in my family was from my Mom's dad. He hated them. They were for killing in war, he hated war and resented the country that treated him as a second class citizen, but drafted him to wade onto Normandy beach while his wife and children were at home and his business died. Mom HATES guns.

I appreciate the machining and craftsmanship of fine guns, but primarily shoot a modern Turkish double. It's light and not ugly.

I love tools, of all sorts. Guns though, the cheapest that work.

Don Steese

The three I use the most in the order they get used:

Emil Bartsch German 16 ga. boxlock circa 1915. Restocked, chokes opened, sling swivels removed,  and recently reblued. 

IMG_0225.thumb.JPG.513a3c34fcf624a2f5f70e17b53c00a4.JPG

Dehann 28 ga I had custom built in 2005.

IMG_0318.thumb.JPG.aee10bb17b81b15734609a229cd89e33.JPG

Belgian guild 12 bore, circa 1922. Stock bent, chokes opened, pad added.

IMG_0332.thumb.JPG.f058c19e58e2acc4cbdb477138104896.JPGIMG_0331.thumb.JPG.a7de91f5927cbee8a553028d9fee96e4.JPG

ThreeDogs

I have a safe full of scatter guns but only hunt with three, an AYA sxs 28 gauge gets the nod most even when it doesn’t fit, an AYA 20 gauge, and  Beretta “blue” 20 gauge. I really start to like a gun when the case color gets worn down and the blueing starts to fade. I have owned collector grade guns and they usually end up as trade bait.

TimJ

If it were possible I'd hunt most of the time with my grandfather's 20ga Model 12. 

I am pretty much a lover of classic utility. To me a well used and loved M12 is about as good as it gets in that category. I have used a Model 50 a lot too and enjoy the feel of it if not the weight of that gun.

Now days I mostly shoot a new black plastic stocked Franchi because of all the non-tox I shoot. Not the same feel as wood at all but I suppose this is the modern definition of utility. Now that I have a BL-3 to play with I might have something in between. Not a fancy classic by any means but more refined than a new plastic SA.

Tim