• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
salmontogue

Everyone is not a collector so.........

Fin2Feather

I like side by sides, and I like guns with some stories to tell, so well used but well cared for guns are what floats my boat.  I like American guns and I shoot 'em like I find 'em; no interest in custom or "upgraded" guns.  As somebody above said, I'd rather miss every shot with a gun I love than limit out with some new alloy and plastic wonder.

walt lister

I've had a thing for Winchester mdl 12s for many years. I have several prewar higher grade guns to choose from. This is a late '20s Tournament grade 16ga that I used on doves this year. Something about hunting with a gun older than me.

TYWZXPR.jpg

Lars

I like all breeds of gun dogs but when it comes to shotguns I'm partial to 2 barrels.  I'm down to 5 now and I like switching around so I never got really good with any one of them. I have longer arms so I have to add a little length with an add on leather extension pad to all of them.  L.C. Smith and a couple old Ithaca's, Fausti and Lanber O/U.  Manufactured dates from 1920 to 2000. 

KDGJ

Within the last 5 years, I've hunted with a Brit SxS.  I doubt these guns were originally built to be lugged around KS in search of pheasant and quail, but they seem to work well.  Although, I do shoot a Beretta O/U on clays.

DSCN2857.jpg

Ken

Bloodhound

I am a vintage pump and semi-auto hunter.  I have model 12s (16ga and 12ga) and model 50s (12ga & 20ga) from Winchester.  there is a SxS and a newer model Benelli in the safe, but for 98% of my field time its a model 12 or model 50.

Jakeismydog2

My favorite gun to Bird hunt with is my Remington 31L it was made sometime in the 40's. It weighs just under 6# with a 30" barrel. I had Orlen put choke tubes in it. I honestly can not understand why this gun is not more popular. You can consistently find them for less than $300. They carry exceptionally well. They are so smooth to pump and so light. 

Don Steese
4 hours ago, KDGJ said:

Within the last 5 years, I've hunted with a Brit SxS.  I doubt these guns were originally built to be lugged around KS in search of pheasant and quail, but they seem to work well.  Although, I do shoot a Beretta O/U on clays.

DSCN2857.jpg

Ken

I'd be darned proud to lug that gun around Kansas, or anywhere else on the planet!!  Very nice!!

Huntschool

I shoot mostly SxS for hunting.  I like their balance and their feel.  I started years ago with a graded Ithica 20 ga, then a Remington mod 11 20 ga and so on.... the gun in my avatar is a 28" 12 ga Armstrong hammer gun that is cut for 2.75 shells and throws a .016 out of each barrel

OYtBLcw.jpg

Meridan 16 ga with 30" barrels

SY7fYvC.jpg

and a 16 ga 28" barreled JP Sauer mad 1899 with Krupp three ring barrels that weighs 5.5 lbs...

nB39cu0.jpg

There are others like Browning BSS and another Meridan but hey, they are all fun......

GSPpurist

At 18 I bought a Mossberg 500 in 1989 for $180.  I wanted the browning BPS but could afford the $350 that it would cost on my Minimum wage jobs ($3.35 per hour).    I shot the heck out of the gun until the trigger assembly crumbled during a dove hunt.  Later in 2000, my wife bought me a O/U Baikal because it was the least expensive O/U I could find/afford.  Still works great with only some mild wear from LONG walks across the prairies.  With my most recent move after the Army, I bought a Beretta 687 Silver Pigeon III which is my go to gun now.