• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
rich223

Thinking of getting a Ram Cummings

rich223

Anyone have a Ram 3500 with a Cummins? How do like it? Thinking of trading my Ford 350 with a 6.4 this spring would like some input on fuel economy durability and quality and any problems you may have had especially with the emission system.

Marc Ret

I have no advice to offer on the Cummins Rich but am curious about your experience with the 6.4L F350. Ford really screwed the pooch with that one according to the majority of guys I know that have (had) them.  Seems they got it right with the newer 6.7L though. 

rich223

I have only 65,000 miles on it and the Diesel Particulate Filter is going into the regeneration daily unless I drive it for a couple of hours. Watching that smoke come out of the tail pipe and my fuel consumption go up is getting to me. I have not given up on Ford but I want to look at Rams and Chevy.

salmontogue
5 hours ago, rich223 said:

Anyone have a Ram 3500 with a Cummins? How do like it? Thinking of trading my Ford 350 with a 6.4 this spring would like some input on fuel economy durability and quality and any problems you may have had especially with the emission system.

I have as follows 

2014 Ram 1500 eco-diesel 29mpg highway, 22mpg local.  90k miles, zero problems.

2012 Ram 3500 Cummins SRW 20mpg/17.5mpg.  120k miles, zero problems

I had

2006 Ram 3500 Cummins DRW  15 to 16mpg regardless of conditions.  205k miles of heavy hauling with no unusual problems.  Replaced with SRW

1997 Ram 2500 Cummins SRW  21mpg highway, 18mpg local.  296k miles.  Was getting tired but died in a fire caused by mice in the heater box.

I have had very good luck with Rams but all of mine are/were pre-DEF except the eco-diesel.  All lived in Maine which can be harsh conditions.  DRW is a mistake unless you need the additional stability for really large trailers or plan to tow heavy fifth wheel.  They get easily stuck in off road situations.  The DRW option is about $1200 but the tires are smaller and, last time I checked, a 410 ratio is standard....a fuel eater.

The eco-diesel will haul a surprising 10k but not like the Cummins which can be set up to haul more than twice that much and with surprising gusto.

The 2012 Ram has the optional Aisin transmission that turns the drivetrain into higher torque and horsepower.  It is about $2200 more than the standard transmission but well worth the price.  I don't regret choosing it.  342 ratio is easy on fuel.

On the downside....I have heard that recent Rams have had DEF injection problems.  I don't know the specifics and whether it remains a problem.

On the upside....Every Ford F350 owner I know that has purchased in the last several years loves their trucks.  They say the newer and larger diesel has beaten the turbo, injector pump and head gasket problems of the previous smaller engine.

Not certain how much this helps but it is the limit of my knowledge.

Perk

25/06
19 hours ago, rich223 said:

I have only 65,000 miles on it and the Diesel Particulate Filter is going into the regeneration daily unless I drive it for a couple of hours. Watching that smoke come out of the tail pipe and my fuel consumption go up is getting to me. I have not given up on Ford but I want to look at Rams and Chevy.

I do not own one but I drive one for work. It is a 2015 2500 Laramie Crew cab 4wheel drive. It was my bosses truck for the first 50,000 miles.

It runs good. It has had 3 recalls since I have been driving it.

I think all the diesels are struggling with the emission/ DEF / code throwing.

I just dropped the truck off this morning for a o2 code. The dealer told me it was software issue and not any parts. It sounds like there were several software updates they did.

This was all covered under warranty.

Unrelated to above a perform service light was on for a while... Dealer informed me this is a maintenance issues that Cummin's requires. The whole EGR/down pipe and another part needs

to be replaces not covered by warranty. Dealer quote was $525= $294 parts balance labor. ALL Cummin's diesels require this work at roughly 65,000.

This is the only codes I have experienced with this truck.

I do not like the Ram's convoluted mirror's one bit!

snapt
20 hours ago, Marc Ret said:

I have no advice to offer on the Cummins Rich but am curious about your experience with the 6.4L F350. Ford really screwed the pooch with that one according to the majority of guys I know that have (had) them.  Seems they got it right with the newer 6.7L though. 

I believe the 6.0 is the one you're thinking of. Total lemon. We have a few rigs at work with the 6.4 that have been ok, our lone 6.0 sits as people with experience are afraid it will s$%^ the bed on their watch.

Perk, no issues with the Ram EcoDiesel? A buddy had a Jeep with the same engine I think? and returned 2 before he got one that functioned correctly. I like the idea of it for sure, had a 4.0 Frontier that got half the highway MPG as the EcoDiesel. Hopefully with the F150 and potentially a Diesel Taco the competition will lower the prices on all of them.

salmontogue
21 minutes ago, snapt said:

I believe the 6.0 is the one you're thinking of. Total lemon. We have a few rigs at work with the 6.4 that have been ok, our lone 6.0 sits as people with experience are afraid it will s$%^ the bed on their watch.

Perk, no issues with the Ram EcoDiesel? A buddy had a Jeep with the same engine I think? and returned 2 before he got one that functioned correctly. I like the idea of it for sure, had a 4.0 Frontier that got half the highway MPG as the EcoDiesel. Hopefully with the F150 and potentially a Diesel Taco the competition will lower the prices on all of them.

When the  dealer did the pre-delivery check, he found an engine control module that was flaky.  He replaced it which delayed delivery two days, no big deal.  No other problems and the fuel economy and towing capability are impressive.  It has a nicely designed four door cab and the ride is like a luxury car.  The 2500 and 3500 models have a noticeably stiffer ride but still very comfortable.

Perk

salmontogue

My sense of all this is that the non-DEF diesels run more reliably and use less fuel than the later DEF equipped models.  The EPA regards this as improvement and gauges the performance by particulate per gallon.  The true measure would be particulate per mile.

Perk

406dn

I can't comment on the Cummins, thou they have a fine reputation. I have an 05 Duramax and a 17 Duramax. The newer truck gets better milage all around compared to the older truck. Running down the highway the 05 gets 20mpg if not bucking a wind, the 17 gets 21+mpg. The newer truck has less than 10k miles on it, so I'd think it will pickup a bit more fuel economy as I put more miles on it. 

Marc Ret
1 hour ago, snapt said:

No, although the 6.0 doesn't win any reliability awards, from owners I've talked to and the chat on the interweb, the 6.4 was not a very good engine. Not saying your company hasn't had good luck with them, just that I've heard many have had lots of issues when it comes to the 6.4L. Three years and done doesn't speak well for a costly R&D diesel motor. 

67diesel
On 1/7/2018 at 7:15 PM, rich223 said:

If it keeps regenning on you, the DPF has a 100,000 mile warranty on it.  The only major issue the 6.4 had was bad radiators early on, sadly.  It only lasted 3years because Ford dumped the Navistar engines as the 6.7L was in the pipeline.  As an aside, if I needed a diesel I’d really strongly look at a 2012 or 2013 6.7L Ford.  That engine has held up well.

67diesel
6 hours ago, snapt said:

By now most anyone with a 6.0L has replaced the emissions systems with the Bulletproof aftermarket stuff and it has apparently solved most of the problems.  Ive gone into the “whys” of the 6.0 before on here, PM me if you want to know more.

rich223
26 minutes ago, 67diesel said:

If it keeps regenning on you, the DPF has a 100,000 mile warranty on it.  The only major issue the 6.4 had was bad radiators early on, sadly.  It only lasted 3years because Ford dumped the Navistar engines as the 6.7L was in the pipeline.  As an aside, if I needed a diesel I’d really strongly look at a 2012 or 2013 6.7L Ford.  That engine has held up well.

Thanks I will have to look into that because I really don’t want to go into debt on a trade at this time. Although I read that if the DPF goes bad that there may be other problems in the engine that causes the DPF to fail.

67diesel
1 minute ago, rich223 said:

Thanks I will have to look into that because I really don’t want to go into debt on a trade at this time. Although I read that if the DPF goes bad that there may be other problems in the engine that causes the DPF to fail.

Rich, have you had the cetane level checked in the fuel you’re using?  Those are pretty good trucks and you’re way past the radiator issues - that was an infant mortality thing.

NECarson
8 hours ago, salmontogue said:

My sense of all this is that the non-DEF diesels run more reliably and use less fuel than the later DEF equipped models.  The EPA regards this as improvement and gauges the performance by particulate per gallon.  The true measure would be particulate per mile.

Perk

DEF improves MPG...