• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
rich223

Thinking of getting a Ram Cummings

NECarson
2 hours ago, 67diesel said:

If it keeps regenning on you, the DPF has a 100,000 mile warranty on it.  The only major issue the 6.4 had was bad radiators early on, sadly.  It only lasted 3years because Ford dumped the Navistar engines as the 6.7L was in the pipeline.  As an aside, if I needed a diesel I’d really strongly look at a 2012 or 2013 6.7L Ford.  That engine has held up well.

And they like to crack pistons. 

salmontogue
20 minutes ago, NECarson said:

DEF improves MPG... 

Except the regeneration cycle knocks it down.  Why are there so many schemes for eliminating DEF if it increases mileage?  My only DEF Ram is the eco-diesel so my personal experience is limited.

Perk

25/06

Specifically Mileage

15 RAM 2500 3.31 gears crew cab

Running #2 in the summer mixed driving mostly interstate (80MPH) empty I run about 17-19 MPG

Running #2 Loaded relatively light < 7,000lb enclosed trailer 12-14MPG  Interstate(80 MPG) and 55mph two lanes

Running #2 loaded heavy 7,000 to 22,000lb equipment not enclosed on a gooseneck I get 7-9mpg and suck def like crazy

Winter 50/50  running empty lose about 2-3mpg

Winter 50/50 running light load enclosed lose about 2-3mpg

Winter 50/50 or higher #1 blend running heavy no difference in mileage power down a noticeable amount  but I drive pretty slow and careful under winter conditions so the loss of power is not an issue.

Side note:

When I pull the same enclosed trailer as above with my personal 14 Ford F150 crew cab Eco Boost  3.73 geared Max tow. I get about 8-9mpg.

Empty I get about  the same as the diesel unless it is windy, then the Eco loses a 3-4 miles to the diesel.

Hope this helps!

Ram, Ford, Chevy are all all struggling with the EPA requirements.

As far as which is better like my dad used to say Ford, Dodge or Chevy they are all crap by the time I can afford them!:D

NECarson
9 hours ago, salmontogue said:

Except the regeneration cycle knocks it down.  Why are there so many schemes for eliminating DEF if it increases mileage?  My only DEF Ram is the eco-diesel so my personal experience is limited.

Perk

One of the biggest reasons for using DEF is to reduce the frequency of DPF regens.

25/06
10 hours ago, NECarson said:

DEF improves MPG... 

Not the experience of anybody I know.

I know a large number of people that run DEF delete systems in our state because their trucks are not running commercial plates and there are no EPA requirements for

periodic testing.

The Guys running DEF delete are adding 100-150HP and still getting 3-5MPG improvements.

NECarson
42 minutes ago, 25/06 said:

Not the experience of anybody I know.

I know a large number of people that run DEF delete systems in our state because their trucks are not running commercial plates and there are no EPA requirements for

periodic testing.

The Guys running DEF delete are adding 100-150HP and still getting 3-5MPG improvements.

Changing tuning makes the comparison invalid though... 

There are DEF and DPF intact tuning options that increase mileage as well. 

salmontogue
3 minutes ago, NECarson said:

Changing tuning makes the comparison invalid though... 

There are DEF and DPF intact tuning options that increase mileage as well. 

Do those options also increase HP to the same degree?

Perk

NECarson
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

Do those options also increase HP to the same degree?

Perk

In some cases they wind up with more power, and better power bands. It depends on the platform and tuner. 

I've seen many tunes not deliver the advertised power gains as well.  

67diesel
9 hours ago, NECarson said:

One of the biggest reasons for using DEF is to reduce the frequency of DPF regens.

DEF improves MPG... 

No, DEF reduces Nox emissions.  Has nothing to do with the two things you stated.  

rolawson

Perk,

I have buddies that work at the Dodge dealership so I get to hear their shop talk. They are not fans of the new 1500 with the eco diesel. They said that it is a good engine but that it is choked down to much. They are having to work on them quit often due to the exhaust components clogging up. To the point of having to remove the heads. Hope you get good service from yours.

salmontogue

I have been holding my breath because I have heard the same.  So far no problems.  Emissions inspections are required only in Cumberland County which is southernmost Maine sometimes known as Northern Massachusetts.  The issue is additionally important to me as I plan to purchase a new one ton sometime this year.  I have been looking at bypass for the eco-diesel but the information is terribly confusing.

Thank you for giving me more information.

Perk

NECarson
4 hours ago, 67diesel said:

DEF improves MPG... 

No, DEF reduces Nox emissions.  Has nothing to do with the two things you stated.  

Reducing NOx emissions via SCR allows the tuning to produce more NOx, pulling timing and changing the fueling tables to remove enough NOx to meet emissions hurts economy.

Plus, it replaces EGR which also hurts MPG.

NECarson
1 hour ago, salmontogue said:

I have been holding my breath because I have heard the same.  So far no problems.  Emissions inspections are required only in Cumberland County which is southernmost Maine sometimes known as Northern Massachusetts.  The issue is additionally important to me as I plan to purchase a new one ton sometime this year.  I have been looking at bypass for the eco-diesel but the information is terribly confusing.

Thank you for giving me more information.

Perk

The PPEI delete tunes work really well for them. 

Technically not legal for a truck with tags, but easy to get...

salmontogue
46 minutes ago, NECarson said:

The PPEI delete tunes work really well for them. 

Technically not legal for a truck with tags, but easy to get...

I am certain there are plenty of these in northern Maine but holy crap this is complicated, pricey and may void warranty coverage.  Thanks for steering me to PPEI.  I will be doing some reading.

Perk

NECarson
7 hours ago, salmontogue said:

I am certain there are plenty of these in northern Maine but holy crap this is complicated, pricey and may void warranty coverage.  Thanks for steering me to PPEI.  I will be doing some reading.

Perk

I'd bet there's quite a few... Deleted trucks are incredibly common. Especially in the 3/4 and 1 ton market.

The process sounds complicated, but it's really pretty simple. A couple of simple to bolt on hard parts, and a plug in tuner. 

Warranty is technically voided on the powertrain, but many dealers will turn a blind eye to it, as long as it's nothing catastrophic... I'd talk to the service manager and tell him that "you've heard people talking about this" and see what he says.