FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
mccuha

woodcock

RuffChaser
13 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

That's just silly and makes a mockery of science.

They use fern leaves to swaddle the little things and hold onto that.

Come on now Cooter everyone knows they carry them on their back. I believe there was a poll about this once.

Mike Connally
42 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

f its carrying a chick between its legs you can be reasonably certain its a hen...

Or a hawk. 

madduckdog

I have a 3 year old dog that. just became a expert on woodcock his first year he bumped 30 + oddly the only flash point was some at some fresh splash.....

he improved just a little the next year but this year one day he became a woodcock pointing machine.... he even was very good on reflush points.

Ben Hong

Heeeheee Brad Eden!

Ben Hong
5 hours ago, Mike Connally said:

I had to look that up.  

To a pitch a wang dang doodle is to have a good old fashioned Saturday night filled with drunken revelry, which may include but is not limited to fighting, dancing, singing and the like.

It's a term from the books of the Blues and Rock vernacular. Willie Dixon wrote it after hearing Howlin' Wolf do it in the early 50s. Since he put it down on paper, many many artists have recorded it...Grateful Dead, Pointer Sisters, Savoy Brown, etc. etc. My favourite is Koko Taylor's version.

jeff88
18 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

It's like seeing a Sasquatch and we tend to keep it to ourselves so we aren't mocked and ridiculed like those over on the Patriots/Brady/Bellichek Topic. I'm not saying it happens, but until you've seen it, you don't know what its like seeing things. :$

Get over this Pats thing!  Geez.  B|  It's like you Pats fans are circling the wagons, you outta love the HATE!!!  Think Darth Vader - yinz are today's evil empire in the NFL.  Relish this as it won't last forever.

Meanwhile, spot on about weird woodcock sightings, we have summering birds in W PA and they are just plain fascinating.  

RuffChaser
12 hours ago, Ben Hong said:

Brad, I used to have a couple of real geezer woodcocking buds who avers the very same and I silently nod in agreement. I just don't say one way or t'other!

About ten years ago we had a "lively" discussion here about identifying the sex of the woodcock in flight. I believe that I said that I could correctly do so 65% of the time. Waaaalll I was called everything but a white man! There were so many personal recommendations of ophthalmologists flung my way that it made me believe that the eye doctors were having trouble surviving. I know that if I were brought up a hot blooded southerner from Cooter Brown's Georgian environs, I would have myself a good ole wang dang doodle almost every time I logged in!

I believe in the Woodcock Symposium topic that was posted in the last few weeks there was some discussion on how to sex WC on the wing. I believe it was something to the effect of - if they tower to the top of the canopy and then fly off they are most likely females. If they twitter through the trees they are most likely males. I shoot a fair number of WC and I haven't been able to make that observation yet, but then again, I'm just happy when they fall.

ryanr

My Drahthaar developed an affinity for woodcock, he is super intense on them and loves hunting them. He's probably better on them than any other bird we've hunted. Ams what's cool is he instantly knows when we're in potrnrial woodcock cover, he just has that sense and I see his whole demeanor change. However, even after pointing his first woodcock or two he still "ran over" some birds after that. His skill in them developed quickly IMO yes but it wasn't overnight. There was still a bit of time involved. He's 5 now and will still bump a couple woodcock in a season. When that happens though he usually becomes more careful, focused and intense and it's not likely to happen again for quite a while. 

Millriver

In addition to being a rabid Patriots fan and an instigator on that other thread, I'm fascinated by everything about woodcock and their ways. I can honestly say I can't  sex them on the wing, and their flight and ground patterns have certainly evolved.

I saw far more running woodcock and birds that flew 3 feet off the ground last year, rather than tower to the treetops. I hunt Cockers (the name should give a clue as to what they're bred for), and can read their behavior when they're on a woodcock, similar to Brad's Springers. More than once this year my dogs would leave their tight ground scenting circles and run out on a ground trail and flush a woodcock 10 yards from where I thought it was. Strange little birds, can't wait to see them again in March.

dogrunner
18 hours ago, RuffChaser said:

I believe in the Woodcock Symposium topic that was posted in the last few weeks there was some discussion on how to sex WC on the wing. I believe it was something to the effect of - if they tower to the top of the canopy and then fly off they are most likely females. If they twitter through the trees they are most likely males. I shoot a fair number of WC and I haven't been able to make that observation yet, but then again, I'm just happy when they fall.

Sounds kinky. :D

dogrunner
On 1/9/2018 at 12:50 AM, Ben Hong said:

Brad, I used to have a couple of real geezer woodcocking buds who avers the very same and I silently nod in agreement. I just don't say one way or t'other!

About ten years ago we had a "lively" discussion here about identifying the sex of the woodcock in flight. I believe that I said that I could correctly do so 65% of the time. Waaaalll I was called everything but a white man! There were so many personal recommendations of ophthalmologists flung my way that it made me believe that the eye doctors were having trouble surviving. I know that if I were brought up a hot blooded southerner from Cooter Brown's Georgian environs, I would have myself a good ole wang dang doodle almost every time I logged in!

I doubt you could be that correct. This guy is barely that good. 

631A4EA8-0E7D-40A8-AA46-D6FD2458EC4D.jpeg

16DFDAAC-209F-466C-B1DB-683F7D3EA0CF.jpeg

mccuha

I agree, No matter what game bird I hunt I really only want to take a male bird. But to me personally I see this being very difficult due to a lot of shots offered in thick cover and don't know what sex it is until in my hand and then sometimes still not sure. I can sometimes tell whether a quail is a cock or not but most of the time not sure until in hand. I don't get to hunt them as much as you guys up north do. You will probably be able to tell better than I can.