Mike Connally

The new Southern game bird

bill

ONLY WILD BIRD LEFT IN MY NECK OF THE WOODS FOR A POINTING DOG TO POINT WILD QUAIL GONE GROUSE JUST ABOUT THAT WAY ( AND YES THE DAILY LIMIT ON WOODCOCK IS 3 )MIGRATORY BIRD REGULATED BY THE FEDS

GB Jack

I find this interesting from a migratory standpoint, I used to spend some time with John berqyust ( former Wisconsin game bird ecologist) and ask him about true hunter mortality among hunters . Here’s one thing that totally never made sense to me. In regards to teal ( and I would assume woodcock ) . Wisconsin is one of the largest breeding states for blue wings, therefore , Wisconsin and Minnesota / Michigan cpuidnt have a esrlybteal season, yet one state below us, they could pound away, early, and during regular season.  Then limits were also higher down south, because they had “ less hunters” so we put all the money and time in habitat, get to have less opportunity, and less bag limits, sounds about right for the federal government . Smack my head 

Chad Linder
On 1/8/2018 at 5:20 PM, Mike Connally said:

That study is 8 years old. The “discovery” of WC as a major southern game bird is more recent. Also it’s interesting to me that it was conducted in traditional northeast WC hunting states. I’m beginning to think that the southern harvest has gotten much larger and is under-reported. 

I don't know about other states, but in Louisiana, the hunter's numbers are down and most birds unless that land in a handful of WMAs never see a woodcock hunter while they are in Louisiana. 

20gauge

I only know of one woodcock hunter in Alabama and I met him last weekend. The few quail hunters that are left in Alabama do not shoot them.

Huntschool
On 1/14/2018 at 9:18 AM, Chad Linder said:

I don't know about other states, but in Louisiana, the hunter's numbers are down and most birds unless that land in a handful of WMAs never see a woodcock hunter while they are in Louisiana. 

Thats the beauty of hunting them down there........  LOL

I hunted a property outside of Evangeline for several years.  It was a short half day hunt......  there were that many birds there.  I also hunted em in N LA in the pines and had good shooting.  

Spin
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 8:28 AM, Steelheadfred said:

The growing attention to WC is most likely a very good thing, if you don't have a user it's hard to have a reason for management. 

I wish I could share that opinion Fred but all things considered I believe the "Doddles" were better off living unknown and unwanted or just ignored for the better part.

Quail are coveted Pheasants as well and other gamebirds both here and in other countries around the globe fared better living in obscurity. Simple human desire for an animal species we regard as "game" just doesn't seem to guarantee a cozy place in long term survival.

bill
On January 10, 2018 at 10:30 AM, dogrunner said:

I blame less game birds,less cover and more baby boomers retiring and being able to travel and hunt in more states. 

The main reason we see more pressure on( WOODCOCK IN THE SOUTH ITS THE ONLY GAME IN TOWN) WILD QUAIL IN MY AREA HAVE BEEN GONE SINCE EARLIER 90S AND GROUSE FOR THE MOST PART ARE ALSO ABOUT GONE

WAGinVA

I agree, this thread could be better titled "The Last Southern Game Bird".

Steelheadfred
On 1/18/2018 at 9:07 PM, Spin said:

I wish I could share that opinion Fred but all things considered I believe the "Doddles" were better off living unknown and unwanted or just ignored for the better part.

Quail are coveted Pheasants as well and other gamebirds both here and in other countries around the globe fared better living in obscurity. Simple human desire for an animal species we regard as "game" just doesn't seem to guarantee a cozy place in long term survival.

I just don't think hunting has any impact on them.  I would guess there are WC living in lots of areas where they never see a human their entire life.

I do worry more or less about habitat, especially habitat on their migration. 

mccuha
3 hours ago, Steelheadfred said:

I just don't think hunting has any impact on them.  I would guess there are WC living in lots of areas where they never see a human their entire life.

I do worry more or less about habitat, especially habitat on their migration. 

I had a biologist in sc that has put a lot of time and energy studying these birds. He says as far as sc is concerned we have a lot of quality habitat and more so than we have woodcock. 

Spin
On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2018 at 3:46 PM, mccuha said:

I had a biologist in sc that has put a lot of time and energy studying these birds. He says as far as sc is concerned we have a lot of quality habitat and more so than we have woodcock. 

Having hunted Doodles and wandered all over Hell and Gone in the UP and Wisconsin and northern Illinois for what is close now to 50 years. In IMO  first there is square miles of what you would "bet the farm" is good to ideal cover that is only used during some years during peak migration and some (Bear in mind this statement concerns mostly smaller areas, maybe 80 acres or less) that harbor almost no birds. Dammed if I know why the birds ignore these areas.

Some of these really big areas may simply be too young or too old but again in prime areas I've found good numbers in very young popple (finger size dia trunks) and very dense. This same growth in other areas draws a blank. Ground vegetation types, Worming conditions ? Others over time reach very good status but it takes time as well as the time these areas are barren from clear cutting. This ground is out of the game for a few years as well and limit usable habitat.

E.Young
On 1/12/2018 at 1:20 PM, mccuha said:

I’m surprised that the no. Of black ducks went from 1 to 2.  I mounted one Not only to have it mounted but because of hybridization and lower and lower no.s I figured they would one day stop allowing them to be harvested.  We deffinetly see lower no.s ea year of that duck. 

Another note.  I would gladly trade a woodcock hunt- info far a northern grouse hunt. Our problem is the inconsistencies of migrations due to weather patterns

Interesting - up here it makes sense. Six or seven years ago I would see only a handful of black ducks per season, but in the last two years, I've seen substantially more, anecdotally maybe 10x+ more than previous years. For reference, I bike to work daily along a river section that is a stop-over for tens of thousands of migrating birds along the eastern flyway. 

mccuha

I hunt a lot of spots that are identical to the cover I find them pretty much every year but for whatever reason they are never there. I guess the main concern with WC is the nesting areas and the loss of that habitat?

Black duck wise. I don't know if it's due to warmer winters or what but I don't see and very rarely here of anyone harvesting blacks much around here anymore. I read somewhere quite a few years ago that the biologist were concerned for the blacks to maintain a pure strain due to the mallards moving into areas that blacks use to mostly occupy.