• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
WI Outdoor Nut

Underground fence system

WI Outdoor Nut

Well, my lovely dogs have chewed up one of their underground pet containment system.  The innotek rechargeable unit has been a system I have had for 9 years and has been trouble free.  Unfortunately Innotek was bought out by petsmart and they no longer make the collars.  I looked on ebay and used ones are going for$150+.  Knowing I might be in the same situation if my other collar fails or dogs chew it up, I am looking to possibly replace the whole unit.  Anyone have recommendation of a good 2 dog system?  Yard is already wired, dogs are trained, just need a reasonably priced unit. 

Thanks in advance. 

topdog1961

Innotek was bought by Invisible Fence, or vice versa, the combined company was then bought by Radio Systems Corporation, which owns Petsafe and Sportdog among others. It depends upon your dog size, but the Sportdog system with the big black rectangular transmitter has some advantages. The tranny is the most durable of all retail units. If you put the $25 surge unit designed for these systems on it, you are unlikely to ever have an issue with it. Put the surge unit on whatever you buy.  The receivers are however the big stubborn dog units. Their advantage is they take a standard 9v battery and they last a long time, 9 months to a year per battery, depending upon how often your dogs tests it. These receivers are also durable, if your dog doesn't swim constantly with it on. However the receivers are large and I would only recommend it for a medium to large dog. They are also very powerful even on lowest setting and therefore not as good for initial training of a new dog on the system. 

For smaller size dogs I would recommend the Petsafe deluxe collar with 5 correction levels. If you have mixed size dogs the Petsafe collar will work on the Soprtdog system as both are 10k frequency. The disadvantage of the deluxe collar is it takes a proprietary battery that only lasts about 3 months and costs about $5 each. Petsafe retail also makes an even tinier receiver for purse dogs. 

That's my recommendation for a retail system, and I have been in the business for 15 years. I sell the Petsafe Pro system, which is more durable and has a lot of features not found on the retail units, including a lifetime warranty. But it costs a lot more than retail. 

Edit: when I get home I'll look in the big box of systems I've taken in trade over the years. I know I have some Innotek transmitters, I may have a rechargeable receiver. If so I will give it to you. Of course it's been discharged in an unheated building for a few years, but I will still give you a money back guarantee. 

WI Outdoor Nut
2 hours ago, topdog1961 said:

Innotek was bought by Invisible Fence, or vice versa, the combined company was then bought by Radio Systems Corporation, which owns Petsafe and Sportdog among others. It depends upon your dog size, but the Sportdog system with the big black rectangular transmitter has some advantages. The tranny is the most durable of all retail units. If you put the $25 surge unit designed for these systems on it, you are unlikely to ever have an issue with it. Put the surge unit on whatever you buy.  The receivers are however the big stubborn dog units. Their advantage is they take a standard 9v battery and they last a long time, 9 months to a year per battery, depending upon how often your dogs tests it. These receivers are also durable, if your dog doesn't swim constantly with it on. However the receivers are large and I would only recommend it for a medium to large dog. They are also very powerful even on lowest setting and therefore not as good for initial training of a new dog on the system. 

For smaller size dogs I would recommend the Petsafe deluxe collar with 5 correction levels. If you have mixed size dogs the Petsafe collar will work on the Soprtdog system as both are 10k frequency. The disadvantage of the deluxe collar is it takes a proprietary battery that only lasts about 3 months and costs about $5 each. Petsafe retail also makes an even tinier receiver for purse dogs. 

That's my recommendation for a retail system, and I have been in the business for 15 years. I sell the Petsafe Pro system, which is more durable and has a lot of features not found on the retail units, including a lifetime warranty. But it costs a lot more than retail. 

Edit: when I get home I'll look in the big box of systems I've taken in trade over the years. I know I have some Innotek transmitters, I may have a rechargeable receiver. If so I will give it to you. Of course it's been discharged in an unheated building for a few years, but I will still give you a money back guarantee. 

Now that's a response!

My current dogs are a 38# vizsla (she can take a lot of heat) and a 48# Shorthair.  Both push the fence system at least weekly.  I am sharing one collar between the two dogs and my shorthair ran away this weekend.  Not a huge deal to me - he comes back, but my wife was not a happy camper.  Need to fix my issue for sure. 

topdog1961

Then I would recommend the Sportdog system. The receivers will be larger than the Innoteks but will have 5 levels of correction, vibration, and be a lot more powerful. The 9v battery is most convenient. Make sure you use alkaline. And don't forget the surge unit. Go to  radiofence.com, they are by far the most knowledgeable on the net. The kit including wire and one receiver is $259. You have wire but that is cheaper than buying the tranny and one receiver. Extra receivers are $100. The Petsafe stubborn dog receivers are the same thing for $79 but come with a nylon collar, not the e-trainer type on the sport dogs. Don't know if that is worth $20 to you. 

You can buy the Petsafe stubborn dog kit for less than $259 but the tranny is not as durable. 

If your GSP keeps disappearing, PM me. I have receivers that do things no retail one will. 

WI Outdoor Nut

Topdog - thanks again for your help.  Just to make sure I am not confusing things - my shorthair does not blow through the fence, but will leave when he does not have a collar on.  With only 1 collar between the two dogs, I have one at risk.  Not sure if that changes your recommendation or not.  If he receives any stimulation, he will stay in the yard. 

I do like the idea of easy ability on batteries.  the rechargeable system was very nice, but am fine with 9v as well.  The specialized batteries seem like just a way to make long term money from the OEM.  And I heard they don't last long - 3-4 months.  At $4/each, 2 dogs, I am looking at $24 extra per year.  Not a huge cost, but something to consider long term. 

Let me know if you find a rechargeable collar in your junk pile.  If so, great.  If not, I am looking to make an order in the next few days. 

topdog1961

WI- this looks like a new or near new rechargeable Innotek receiver that you can have. BUT you need two. What you are doing with your dogs is not recommended. Like children, they need consistent discipline. If they get corrected sometimes for crossing the line, and sometimes not, it is confusing for them. You end up with training issues. PM me your address if you want it. 

image.jpeg

WI Outdoor Nut
On ‎1‎/‎8‎/‎2018 at 5:39 PM, topdog1961 said:

WI- this looks like a new or near new rechargeable Innotek receiver that you can have. BUT you need two. What you are doing with your dogs is not recommended. Like children, they need consistent discipline. If they get corrected sometimes for crossing the line, and sometimes not, it is confusing for them. You end up with training issues. PM me your address if you want it. 

image.jpeg

That's it!

I agree on consistency - was very involved in training with NAVHDA prior to kids.  So get the gist.  All on me and need to get this corrected.  If your collar works, I am in good shape.  PM sent.