• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
bennelli-banger

HOW FAR DO PHEASANTS TRAVEL?

bennelli-banger

There is a cattail slough...maybe 80-100 acres...about 1.5 miles from my land...the native grasses on my land have been overtaken by cool season grasses over the past few years, which I need to deal with in 2018...when the winter weather hits the birds leave my ground, and I assume they move the 1.5 miles either east or west from my ground to the areas with better winter cover...any reason to think that the birds wouldn't go that far????

Remo

They will move that far easy.

bennelli-banger

yeah, dumb question, as I have hunted full sections before where the birds fly from one end to the other pretty easily...a full mile...often they leave the section...

RuffChaser

Late season with a strong tail wind and I'd bet they can be there in a minute or two if they get high enough at the flush:D

dogrunner

If they have to move that far without good travel routes they can easily get picked off. 

bennelli-banger
12 minutes ago, RuffChaser said:

Late season with a strong tail wind and I'd bet they can be there in a minute or two if they get high enough at the flush:D

yeah...you are right...

RuffChaser
3 minutes ago, bennelli-banger said:

yeah...you are right...

Go out some nice sunny evening at dusk and watch them. You'll learn a lot about them. Odds are you'll see them fly from their preferred food sources to cover unless they are adjacent to each other. 

bennelli-banger
23 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

If they have to move that far without good travel routes they can easily get picked off. 

there are some good travel routes...tree belts...chunks of grass...etc...like ruff chaser said, probably about 2 minutes!

Randy S

Iowa did a study of winter movement in the pheasant drought between the 60's through early 70's Soil Bank and 80's to current CRP contracts. At that time they felt our birds required more winter than nesting cover. They determined that a winter cover plot was needed in one section of each township. A township is 6 miles by 6 miles.  I don't recall how large a plot they thought was necessary, but I do recall they thought with limited escape cover outside the plot, late season hunting pressure should be minimized. 

sxsneubaum

They travel quite the distance, miles, actually.  Anecdotal evidence but here goes.  Former student is a wildlife biologist.  He put in 20 or so acres of CRP pollinator grasses.  First year he had it in he captured a few pheasants and put an identifier on them. 

The cover in the area is broken by "clean" fields.  Except for the RR tracks, about a mile away.  He and others have observed those birds up to 5 miles away.  If they get to the tracks they can go anywhere. 

Runningdog

Without doubt, I have chased them pretty near a mile before pinning one down on foot, I would say good cover or food they would go 2 miles without trouble!

bruski

How far do pheasants travel?

Well the last one I shot managed to cover around 55 miles by the time I took it out of the back of the car.

Your mileage may vary.

dogrunner

Some of mine have went from Big sky country to the Great lakes and they didn't help pay for gas. >:(