FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
sdspringer49

gesundheit

sdspringer49

Had an unusual thing happen yesterday trying to get one last afternoon of hunting in. Piper and I were working an area and she sneezes a couple times. It struck me as odd but I didn't think too much about it since she's down working through the brush and grasses. 

A little while later moving between spots she occasionally sneezes a few more times in the pickup. Again I attribute it to the grass and brush. She didn't sneeze much the rest of the afternoon so I figured she blew out the chaff or whatever was in there. 

We get home and settled in and she starts sneezing again. Now I decide I better take a look. I look at the end of her nose and see what looks like a small stick about the diameter of a paper clip. 

I got a tweezer and it took a little coaxing for her to hold still while I grabbed the stick. Here is what I pulled out. 

PipersStick.jpg.74a6bffa7594750084cb08f1143bc6df.jpg

I'll be adding another item to the post run checklist. After each area we hunt I put her up on the tailgate, give her water, check her feet and ears, and remove all the cockleburrs, and check her for any cuts. A careful nose check is now on the list as well. 

Millriver
21 minutes ago, sdspringer49 said:

Had an unusual thing happen yesterday trying to get one last afternoon of hunting in. Piper and I were working an area and she sneezes a couple times. It struck me as odd but I didn't think too much about it since she's down working through the brush and grasses. 

A little while later moving between spots she occasionally sneezes a few more times in the pickup. Again I attribute it to the grass and brush. She didn't sneeze much the rest of the afternoon so I figured she blew out the chaff or whatever was in there. 

We get home and settled in and she starts sneezing again. Now I decide I better take a look. I look at the end of her nose and see what looks like a small stick about the diameter of a paper clip. 

I got a tweezer and it took a little coaxing for her to hold still while I grabbed the stick. Here is what I pulled out. 

PipersStick.jpg.74a6bffa7594750084cb08f1143bc6df.jpg

I'll be adding another item to the post run checklist. After each area we hunt I put her up on the tailgate, give her water, check her feet and ears, and remove all the cockleburrs, and check her for any cuts. A careful nose check is now on the list as well. 

And don't forget the eyes. I rinse my dogs' eyes with eye wash if they've been running in grass, weeds, goldenrod, etc.

sdspringer49
8 minutes ago, Millriver said:

And don't forget the eyes. I rinse my dogs' eyes with eye wash if they've been running in grass, weeds, goldenrod, etc.

Good point. I'll have to get some eye rinse. 

Millriver

It's cheap enough. I usually get mine from Walmart. Dogs don't like it, they seem to know what's coming when I pull the little plastic eye cup out!

And btw, that stick looks awful, you were lucky it came out so easily.

TimJ

Glad you got that out.

Early this past season Deuce ran by me sneezing time after time. I quickly stopped him to check it out. He had a stick poking out his nose about an inch. When I pulled it out it was about the same length as that one only about three times the diameter. Sure glad it didn't go in any further. 

Tim

PartridgeCartridge

Ollie is a hard running pointer and sometimes he runs and chafes his pecker and it bleeds. ...not much but enough to know that I'm glad I'm not dragging mine through the cover.

I flush his eyes too.

gunsrus

My Zack had a similar experience . Arrived at one of my covers and put him down , he runs and pees while I get the collars ready , he returns sneezing . It was obvious something wasn't right . Put him up and took one of the other dogs out . He continued to sneeze but most subsided and I figured some awn that would just go away . Next day some pink blood coming from his nose . Right to the Vet but nothing could be found . Vet suggested Angell Memorial Hospital in Boston where they had scope to examine up inside the nose . Rushed in there and they sedated and found a 2 1/2'' stick waaayyy up there . $1400 later he was fine . I kept the stick . Love my dogs !!!!!

dogrunner

Wow that is long surprised it is not bent up. 

SLR

I had the same experience. The dog was real touchy about the foreign object in her nose, so off to the vet. It took a little sedation and some intranasal lidocaine to pull out the object. It was a 4.3 inch stubble of golden rod. It seems brush hogging the field leaves behind some hazardous stems. The end was bent a little, or she probably would have had a frontal lobotomy. 

Cooter Brown

Wow--that is long--damned lucky you were able to get it all out!

My Traveller dog went into a sneezing fit back at the cabin in the UP.

I inspected with a flashlight and was able to extract this stick with my Leatherman:

5a5606708cbf1_StickinTravellersnoseUP11.jpg.f078020dba4c00413bd8f6f2b73c5c06.jpg

dogrunner

Wow you also got a quarter?

Cooter Brown
54 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Wow you also got a quarter?

I'm an amateur magician!

boutdoors4

What do you guys use for an eye rinse?

TimJ
54 minutes ago, boutdoors4 said:

What do you guys use for an eye rinse?

I just use the contact saline solution thats about $3 a bottle at walmart. It can be used to clean out small cuts and scrapes too. Good stuff that is dirt cheap to have in a dog first aid kit.

Tim