• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
salmontogue

Your Ideal Grouse & Woodcock Gun

salmontogue

Let's just cut to the chase on this one.  What is ideal?  Do you own it?  Are you still looking?  Inquiring minds want to know.  Try to keep the pricing under the national debt, just funnin ya.

Perk

WMassGriff

Thought it might be my dad's Fox Model B 20GA choked cyl and skeet until I patterned it! Much fitting to make it work. Hope it will be my new to me CG Tempio 20GA. 

lee sykes

In terms of efficiency, probably a British side by side hammerless built before WW I.  14 1/2" x 1 1/2" x 2 1/2" with about 3/8" cast off.  12 bore with 28" steel barrels  bored about .04" and .012".  2 1/2" chambers.  Two triggers,  p.o.w. grip.  splinter,  6 1/4 lbs.   Do I own it?   No.  Am I still looking?  No.  I once owned  such a gun and it really was all that but I got a generous offer and needed a down payment on a new vehicle. :)     I don't regret it.  

Greg Hartman

I have five game guns - one each in .410, 28, 20, 16 and 12 - two pumps, two SxS's and one O/U.  I don't have a dedicated grouse and woodcock gun - in fact, I almost never shoot WC even though the dogs frequently point them when we are hunting other species.  Don't like eating them.  Also, the number of shots I fired at ruffed grouse this year could be counted on the fingers of no hands.  Since these same guns must serve me for everything from phez (my primary quarry these days) to doves, to prairie birds, all of these guns are probably choked more tightly than is conventional wisdom for grouse/WC, especially in the second bbls of the doubles, but I've had longer shots at ruffed grouse on occasion, where the choke was appreciated.  That said, I don't feel poorly armed and I'm not longing for, or even thinking about, some different gun when in the grouse woods with my favorite 20 gauge O/U game gun; or any of the other bird guns (except the .410 which I would never use on ruffed grouse or any other "wild" upland birds).  I'm 100% happy with what I've got.  It's more the Indian than the arrow anyway.

The 20 and 28 gauge a400's that I use mostly for targets make fine grouse/WC guns, too, but for the fact that they toss trash into the pristine wilderness.  Given the number of shots I fire at ruffed grouse and the fact that I really work at finding the fired hulls in the field, the environmental of using these guns is about zero.  I use IC choke when I carry either of these guns for ruffed grouse on the theory that I feel quite confident I can place the pattern on the bird even with some choke, but I have no confidence that I can make a clean kill on a long shot with CYL choke.

studdog

28 gauge AYA 453.  29 inch barrels  5.5 lbs.  16 gauge Fox XE 28 inch barrels under 6 lbs.

Grousehunter

I'm partial to SxS over the OU's.  28" barrels, 20 gauge and I prefer an English Stock.  

ScottGrush

Benelli ultralight 12 gauge. 

I've thrown a lot of pretenders at it but somehow when I leave the truck and release the dog it's the gun in my hands 99% of the time. 

#greatestuplandgunevermade

lee sykes
4 minutes ago, ScottGrush said:

I've thrown a lot of pretenders at it but somehow when I leave the truck and release the dog it's the gun in my hands 99% of the time. 

Can't beat a light 12 even if it feels like you are using an Anti Aircraft gun! 

tut

I tweaked a Fox Sterlingworth Ejector 20 and made my ideal Grouse/Woodcock gun.  5 lb 13 ounces, stocked to fit me and choked .004 and .014.  It is by far my favorite hunting gun and frankly number 2 is pretty far behind.  After shooting it for a few years and deciding it was the one, I had it engraved as a A grade as I plan on keeping it forever.

Woodcock2017fox.jpg

foxsterling20strasburg2017.jpg

fox20mich.jpg

Tom Avent

Harrison & Hussey 16ga, 28" barrels, 5lbs14ozs

However, lately I have been coveting a 2" English boxlock. Found one with 28" barrels and weighing in at 5lbs 9ozs. Just have to figure out how to pay for it. 

IMG_1919.JPG.a0dfa79733f092797ec13ca9d90595db.JPG

troutchops
5 hours ago, ScottGrush said:

What do you think of the Ethos in 12? I got rid of the BUL 12, and picked up the Ethos. It just felt smaller, the BUL always felt like a little too large of a gun, great weight however.

Dongotto

My old FN/Belgian guild 12 bore with 28 in barrels, cyl/Ic, and straight stock. Weights 6 3/4lbs and fits me great. I have made several shots over the years that had to mean near perfect fit because I couldn't believe I made them. No time to think just react. We don't have grouse so this I a dedicated woodcock gun.

Tom that Hussey looks sweet!

gunsrus

One of the "first" for me Fox A Grades , 16 gauge bought already restocked to my dimensions and 5lbs 14oz . 28" choked .007 and .014 . 

IMG_0639.JPG

atticus

Something I don't freak out about breaking or scratching when I fall.....

kgb

Just about anything will do, depending on the individual shot. Then you know if you left the right gun at home or not.