FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
salmontogue

Your Ideal Grouse & Woodcock Gun

RuffChaser
16 minutes ago, atticus said:

Something I don't freak out about breaking or scratching when I fall.....

It's not the falls that concern me despite how frequently they happen. It's the day i know my bad temper and weak mind will get the best of me and I'll be holding the barrels of an O/U and looking at a smashed stock that lies in splinters at the base of an aspen tree. All because I missed an easy going away shot for what seems like the 1,000th time.

jeff88

While I'm always drooling over guns other UJers carry such as some pictured above, that 16 ga of Gunsrus right above is a prime example, I don't know why I'm not just plain satisfied with what I have.   The question is for grouse and woodcock only and the answer for me for 30+ years is a 20 ga browning citori lightening with 26" barrels.  Was out last Friday chasing woodcock with it in extremely dense E TX Pineywoods forests and as I'm poking around, can't think of a better gun to carry.  BTW, one of the TX covers is named "all fours" by a fellow UJer and he was not kidding.  He carried a 28 ga sxs that for what we were going through, it was a very good choice if just for TX woodcock hunting.

Treerooster

My ideal grouse gun has to balance well in MY hands and hit where I am looking.

Yes I own it, 2 actually. AYA mod 2 in 28 & 16 ga. DT's, splinter forearm, English stock, 27" barrels. I don't know what they weigh, they just balance well in my hands and come up smooth for a consistent mount. Both stocks have been bent to fit me.

caleb

The best grouse gun I've owned was a 20ga Bernardelli Gamecock with 25" barrels choked C/IC.

Someday I'd like to own a Churchill XXV.

Pat Berry

If anyone posts something they don't actually have, I will eat my underwear.

So, a custom-stocked Cole Beretta 686 Black Onyx with 29.5" barrels and an extra set of 26ers. 15.5" LOP, of course.

charlo slim
6 minutes ago, Pat Berry said:

If anyone posts something they don't actually have, I will eat my underwear.

Churchill XXV!  Please post pictures of the event.

Pat Berry
36 minutes ago, charlo slim said:

Well played, my man. I mean BEFORE I posted that!

You know what I mean, though? Most everyone will tell you to get whatever breed of dog and gun THEY own. Or boots... or vest... or truck... or whatever.

Greg Hartman
16 minutes ago, Pat Berry said:

You know what I mean, though? Most everyone will tell you to get whatever breed of dog and gun THEY own. Or boots... or vest... or truck... or whatever.

In my case, it's true, I don't lust for more stuff.  Happy with what I have.

PartridgeCartridge

This one is about perfect. CE 2.5" 16 ga.....

PA110050_zps29cf9f7b.jpg

doodlecrazy

I'm pretty a-typical in that I prefer long barrels in the woods. My current, and only, shotgun is an Aya 4/25 classic, 20 ga with 29" barrels choked .004 and .009. If I miss it's because I lift my head....which I do A LOT.

charlo slim
1 hour ago, Pat Berry said:
2 hours ago, charlo slim said:

You know what I mean, though? Most everyone will tell you to get whatever breed of dog and gun THEY own. Or boots... or vest... or truck... or whatever

Thank you, Sir.  Yeah, I do know what you mean.   I admittedly would not know a Churchill XXV from a Roosevelt XIX so let's just let bygones be bygones, shall we? Skip the pictures.

ThreeDogs
7 hours ago, Tom Avent said:

Harrison & Hussey 16ga, 28" barrels, 5lbs14ozs

However, lately I have been coveting a 2" English boxlock. Found one with 28" barrels and weighing in at 5lbs 9ozs. Just have to figure out how to pay for it. 

IMG_1919.JPG.a0dfa79733f092797ec13ca9d90595db.JPG

That's a beauty!!

Dongotto

Beautiful gun Dave!

Brad Eden

IMG_0507.JPG

The latest contender. Ruger RL 28 gauge, 28" barrels, English stock. Reasonably priced if you can find one, utilitarian yet handsome, lithe, and lively. 

lee sykes
13 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0507.JPG

The latest contender. Ruger RL 28 gauge, 28" barrels, English stock. Reasonably priced if you can find one, utilitarian yet handsome, lithe, and lively. 

They are nice little guns.  I should  use mine more than I do.  Fits me.