• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
salmontogue

Your Ideal Grouse & Woodcock Gun

ThreeDogs
40 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0507.JPG

The latest contender. Ruger RL 28 gauge, 28" barrels, English stock. Reasonably priced if you can find one, utilitarian yet handsome, lithe, and lively. 

I agree great gun. I got my son one and I can’t get the dang thing to eject certain types of shells make him/me nuts!

dogrunner
1 minute ago, ThreeDogs said:

I agree great gun. I got my son one and I can’t get the dang thing to eject certain types of shells make him/me nuts!

If your using those hot loads they might be expanding to much to eject. 

ThreeDogs
5 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

If your using those hot loads they might be expanding to much to eject. 

Funny thing is it’s the low brass loads that stick.

dogrunner

This is mine. 

1AAB953D-017D-4AD8-BF38-301930BB0DB3.jpeg

Don Steese
10 hours ago, atticus said:

Something I don't freak out about breaking or scratching when I fall.....

People fall while hunting the ruffled grouses??? O.o Who knew???

GB Jack

I use all four of these at different times, so I’d say “

these”

but I have a extremely special one being crafted as we speak, that I think  from

a sentimental side, will probably be the gun that defines me , and has helped me cope with the excruciating loss of my best buddy. 

CC78ECCE-B1F9-4E63-971A-40C15E49FF37.jpeg

ThreeDogs

Jack what’s the gun on the far right?

GB Jack
3 minutes ago, ThreeDogs said:

Jack what’s the gun on the far right?

Ithaca skb 280e , with a grouse and a mtn quail carved on it, one with 28 inch barrels that seemed impossible for me to find. Looked for a long time 

ThreeDogs

That’s what I thought it was.

brushbuster

My favorites

A 12 Ga and 20 Ga game gun both weigh within a few ounces of each other and both fit me well.

IMG_2466.JPG

IMG_1383.JPG

Willieb

This is for Pat Berry.

I recently acquired a 12ga Churchill XXV and although I've never hunted Grouse, it is a great Quail gun.  Single trigger, 2 barrel set, IC/Mod and Full/Full, 6lbs 1oz.

Shooting 3/4oz reloads and they pattern like a dream.

Have only had  it for a short period of time, but have been using it to hunt wild quail.   I have fired a total of 14 shells and brought 14 birds to the bag.   Missed twice but got two in one shot twice.

I think it's a keeper.

Maybe one day I'll get to hunt Grouse with it

IMG_1022.JPG

IMG_0995.JPG

Brad Eden
12 hours ago, ThreeDogs said:

I had some federal loads that would bulge or something after being fired and I'd have to pry them out with my multitool. Other than that I run Win, Rem, B&P and my favorite-Fiochi through without a hitch.

NCgrouse

My current new-to-me favorite is my 1960's 16 ga Sauer Royal. 26 inch barrels, chokes opened to cyl and imp cyl, double trigger. I added a recoil pad to give it some more length, and aside from that it is really fun. I bought it with the intention to have it be a real user. I don't care if I beat it up or get scratches on it. I pop preserve birds and occasional woodcock with it, and so far it does both well. 

Prior to that, was my Traditions by Fausti Upland II O/U in 20 ga. Also 26 inch barrels, choked whatever I want to change them to. I've owned it since I was 15 (33 now) so its got a good bit of wear on it. Just need to do the soda can/self address sticker trick to tighten it for a while....

tut
1 hour ago, Brad Eden said:

I had some federal loads that would bulge or something after being fired and I'd have to pry them out with my multitool. Other than that I run Win, Rem, B&P and my favorite-Fiochi through without a hitch.

Had a most recent batch of B&P that did the exact same thing in my Fox. 

dogrunner

I have had it happen with Fiocchi.