• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
salmontogue

Your Ideal Grouse & Woodcock Gun

salmontogue
4 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I have had it happen with Fiocchi. 

I have also experienced Fiocchi problems but never with Winchester, Remington, Federal, Browning and Rio.  I really like Winchester.

Perk

lee sykes
27 minutes ago, salmontogue said:

I have also experienced Fiocchi problems but never with Winchester, Remington, Federal, Browning and Rio.  I really like Winchester.

Perk

That's all I use in 28. Reloads from old style AAs. 

pa'tridge hunters

We were in the Orvis store in Manchester on Sunday and looked at a nice 20 ga. Francotte with 28" barrels I think it was Skt/M with a pow grip.

If I'd had $5,000.00 burning a hole in my pocket that could have been the gun.

jeff88

I'll see Pat Berry and raise him two H&H 12 ga matched pair, 29" barrels that I'll sell to pay for going on fantastic hunts while carrying my dumb ol' citori.  Maybe I'll take him with me gratis with the lone concern that he's in far too good of shape for me to keep up with.  We only know what we know ranks right up there with it is what it is.  Let us not be constrained!

kgb

It seems to me a 20ga O/U should be the most common ideal gun for the two birds, Winchester/SKB/Browning for the most part and newer Italian guns rounding it out. That's what I'd recommend to someone new to the game. 

Peent
3 hours ago, kgb said:

It seems to me a 20ga O/U should be the most common ideal gun for the two birds, Winchester/SKB/Browning for the most part and newer Italian guns rounding it out. That's what I'd recommend to someone new to the game. 

Your eyes are side by side, not stacked.  

kgb
56 minutes ago, Peent said:

How do you know?  

bruski

Here's mine.

Straight stock,double triggers, 26" bbls and 410 gauge.

(Since we don't have grouse or woodcock in the country, quail will have to do.)

001.JPG

steveziv

My dislike of English stocks and splinter forends narrows down my SxS choices considerably.  I'd like something fancier, and maybe a little lighter, but for now my BSS 20g/28" works pretty good for me.  My Onyx 20g/28" is light and lively, maybe too much so, I don't shoot it as well.

jeff88
19 hours ago, Peent said:

Well yes, when hunting Pheasant and quail, they are sxs.  However with grouse and woodcock, often mine are o/u as I'm ducking under a limb or trying to bust sideways through a thicket.

henryrski

Whatever I'm carrying.:o

Bloodhound

I keep thinking the perfect gun is out there waiting for me to find it.  More likely is I just like shotguns and its fun to get and try a new gun. 

The reality is that this one has worked and continues to work for me and is just about perfect for my grouse hunting...They are Blue Grouse in my neck of the woods.

01a10c6d.jpg

I have this one in 12ga and one just like it in 20ga.  Winchester model 50, 26 inch barrel fixed IC choke.   It really doesn't matter what one I have in my hands, I shoot them better than any other shotgun I own or have ever owned for that matter.  I dream of fine SxS or O/U...but when I dream of birds flying I see myself lifting a Model 50

lee sykes

I picked up a nice 12 gauge.  model 50 once.  I bought it to re-sell and knew nothing about them but it was a nice gun. Weighed 6 1/2 lbs, had nice balance and fit me perfectly.   I should have kept it.  I think it was the light version and probably the alloy receiver predecessor to the model 59, which to me was poorly balanced with it's fiberglass wrapped barrel.   This light model 50 seemed like the best of both worlds.  

Bloodhound
2 minutes ago, lee sykes said:

I picked up a nice 12 gauge.  model 50 once.  I bought it to re-sell and knew nothing about them but it was a nice gun. Weighed 6 1/2 lbs, had nice balance and fit me perfectly.   I should have kept it.  I think it was the light version and probably the alloy receiver predecessor to the model 59, which to me was poorly balanced with it's fiberglass wrapped barrel.   This light model 50 seemed like the best of both worlds.  

I have owned 2 of the light weights.  They are very nice but have to be tuned for the recoil of the hotter loads of today...easy to do, but fatal to the receiver if not done.  I have seen many alloy frames cracked to the grip.  The last light weight I had I bought it for my grand daughter and she shoots skeet and sporting clays with it.  I wish they had made the 20ga in the alloy frame.

lee sykes

I probably would have just shot light trap loads anyway.  That's the only 12 gauge load I need for grouse or light 12s. :)