• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
salmontogue

Your Ideal Grouse & Woodcock Gun

fourtrax57

16 ga sxs belgian guild gun 5 1/2 lbs choked skeet 1 & 2. 

OR, remmy model 17 choked I.C. (opened)

Hammergun

Because having had a gun collector for a father I have enjoyed numerous nice side by sides as my favorite grouse and woodcock guns.  But that didn’t mean I shot very many birds with them. I started with 12 bores, then 20 bores, 16 bores and now 28 bores with one being an o/u and my 20 ga. Churchill which is my woodcock gun at 5 lbs3.5 oz. It’s not my best gun but my favorite to carry and shoot woodcock as it shoots really high.  For grouse I would  pick my John Graham 16 bore or the 28 ga. 

54A8E210-756A-434B-B705-C89D09DDE86C.jpeg

E56B623A-EF87-4800-A8A2-A2BAFC1342D1.jpeg

kgb

Beautiful dog!!

I like high stocked target guns, which is probably a standard like, and had my Fox stocked high, finding it shoots very well for me. It did not impact high when patterned from a sitting position (for a steady hold) but I need to take some standing, casual shots to check it that way. A few mount-and-shoot rounds are a good idea. 

ThreeDogs
5 hours ago, Hammergun said:

Because having had a gun collector for a father I have enjoyed numerous nice side by sides as my favorite grouse and woodcock guns.  But that didn’t mean I shot very many birds with them. I started with 12 bores, then 20 bores, 16 bores and now 28 bores with one being an o/u and my 20 ga. Churchill which is my woodcock gun at 5 lbs3.5 oz. It’s not my best gun but my favorite to carry and shoot woodcock as it shoots really high.  For grouse I would  pick my John Graham 16 bore or the 28 ga. 

More picks of the Churchill please!

BlacknTan
11 hours ago, Hammergun said:

Great looking Gordon!

Craig Doherty

Have used every thing as a grouse and woodcock gun from a 12 ga BPS to a 2 1/2" 12 ga English hammer gun to a variety of 28s, 20s, and even an old 16 ga Sauer that was just about worn out -- SxSs and O/Us -- single triggers, double triggers. They were all ideal at the time and (with the exception of the BPS and a Winchester 101 20 ga) they all weighed between 5 1/2 and 6 pounds and had open chokes.  The most important feature was I pretty much shot them well but then I always remember the hits more then the misses.

Dave in Maine
14 hours ago, Hammergun said:

Good to see you've got the right kind of dog for the job, and a very happy one at that.

Larry Brown
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:35 AM, steveziv said:

My dislike of English stocks and splinter forends narrows down my SxS choices considerably.  I'd like something fancier, and maybe a little lighter, but for now my BSS 20g/28" works pretty good for me.  My Onyx 20g/28" is light and lively, maybe too much so, I don't shoot it as well.

Easy solution there, Steve:  Ithaca SKB 150 or 200E, 20ga.  PG and beavertail.  25" barrels in 20ga, which you might not like.  28" also available, but they're M/F so you'd have to open chokes.

Larry Brown
On ‎1‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 8:13 PM, GB Jack said:

Ithaca skb 280e , with a grouse and a mtn quail carved on it, one with 28 inch barrels that seemed impossible for me to find. Looked for a long time 

Jack, what did you do with the M/F chokes in that gun?  I've never seen a 20ga Ithaca SKB with 28" barrels with factory open chokes.

GB Jack
7 hours ago, Larry Brown said:

Jack, what did you do with the M/F chokes in that gun?  I've never seen a 20ga Ithaca SKB with 28" barrels with factory open chokes.

No no, Orlen reamed  those out for me

ScottGrush
On 1/9/2018 at 8:34 AM, troutchops said:

What do you think of the Ethos in 12? I got rid of the BUL 12, and picked up the Ethos. It just felt smaller, the BUL always felt like a little too large of a gun, great weight however.

I have never shot one. They do feel more narrow than the BUL I agree on that. 

Jim Vander

My go to is 28 Ruger Red Label 28 tubes keep skeet and IC in it never felt the need to change them. Its plenty of gun, I shoot it well  and a joy to carry.The goofy puppy approves. 

IMG_0597.jpg

kgb

Goofy, maybe. Happy, definitely. Nice dog!

Jim Vander

Ty she is a baby 5 months in that pic but coming along nicely, I was super pleased with how she stayed in gun  and ranged worked cover pretty hard. Happily plenty of birds in the UP for her first road trip so lots of contact. Finishing up her mouth now, next year should be  a blast.

Grouse_MD

20ga Uggie Grade III with 28" barrels. Nice enough for the grouse woods and doesn't break the bank.  Not worried about damaging - too badly - as we hunt the mountains mainly in later season with tough terrain. Carry it all day long at ~5.5 lbs. Shooting more and more birds as we get the hang of things.... including several grouse last weekend.  I have the Upland Classic LCS version and works great after solving a minor mechanical issue which may have been caused by fall in aforementioned terrain.