• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
salmontogue

Your Ideal Grouse & Woodcock Gun

timberdoodletime

Pair of AYA XXV in 20ga.  One a boxlock with cyl and imp cyl and the other a sidelock with imp cyl and mod.  Love both guns. Not to

everyones likings but to my likings.

ThreeDogs
1 hour ago, timberdoodletime said:

Pair of AYA XXV in 20ga.  One a boxlock with cyl and imp cyl and the other a sidelock with imp cyl and mod.  Love both guns. Not to

everyones likings but to my likings.

Pics man pics

timberdoodletime

Would if i could but cant... :$

Harry

Winchester Model 12 16ga. Points like a dream, and you don’t have to fret about hurting it. Winchester Model 59 if I’m serious about it. 

Original Parker 28 if I wanted to style. Had a chance to buy Rudy Etchens Parker 28. Didn’t want to dig that deep, but it may have been perfection. 

TJK68

Mine is my 16ga Fox Sterlingworth, 28" barrels, choked Skeet 1 - Skeet 2. Getting ready to try out my new Browning Citori 16ga Gran Lightning with 26" barrels, hope I like it as well.

Brad Eden
2 hours ago, timberdoodletime said:

Would if i could but cant... :$

Posting photos on Board:

A miminum Donation of $25/year to the Board places that Member in the 2018 Contributing Member Group with enhanced Priviliges (Member Groups show under avatars on posts). The main privilige is the ability to upload/post photos directly to Topics and Posts without the need for any third party photohost site. Info on Donations/Member Groups/Privileges found here: Donations/Member Groups/Priviliges Topic

JonR

Haven't live anywhere near grouse and woodcock country for far too long but if I ever get a chance to hunt them again the first gun I'd reach for is the 20 gauge Model 12. It's been opened up to SK1 and has accounted for more than a few thick cover birds. There's something about a Model 12 - it just points perfectly for me.

timberdoodletime
2 hours ago, Brad Eden said:

Posting photos on Board:

A miminum Donation of $25/year to the Board places that Member in the 2018 Contributing Member Group with enhanced Priviliges (Member Groups show under avatars on posts). The main privilige is the ability to upload/post photos directly to Topics and Posts without the need for any third party photohost site. Info on Donations/Member Groups/Privileges found here: Donations/Member Groups/Priviliges Topic

I will make out a check and send it off tomorrow Brad...   Can it double as an anniv. gift as well... B|

BlacknTan

I've probably got 4 or 5 "perfect" guns sitting in my safe right now,.. or, they fit my needs perfectly at the time I bought them! Trouble is, what we need, or what we "think" we need changes over time. All those perfectly suitable guns are not perfectly suitable anymore. But, none are far enough off that they could not be the "perfect" gun again with a little warming over.

I've got in my mind what could be the "perfect" gun for my situation right now.... what I have a mind to do, and how I want to go about doing it..I don't have it, and I may or may not get it.. we'll see. But, even that would take a little "massaging" before I called it perfection..... for now. I think our perfect gun only exists in our mind's eye..

And, so it goes...

Don Steese

If I owned my "ideal" grouse and woodcock gun I wouldn't have an excuse to ever  buy another gun.  Depressing thought.....

Rob R

I have a Grulla 216RB 28, and a late 50s Superposed 20 that are both pretty sweet, however I usually pick up a  Bernardelli 12 bore sidelock.  I had the stock bent and the chokes opened to 4 & 12.  Works well for me so I guess it's ideal for now! 

Yukon1

I still haven't found my ideal gun. Thought I had it when I was gifted a family Fox but I can't hit a thing with it. I'd have better luck throwing the gun at the birds. Still enjoy carrying it around though and it saves time field dressing...

For actually hittin' stuff though, my go-to is an old Remington Sportsman 58 in 16ga. It's a three shot auto that has been the family "meat gun" since my father bought it around the time I was born. That gun has shot everything from ducks to deer(great with slugs), as well as hare, ruffs, woodcock and squirrels. It's like the old Willy's we used to have; doesn't mind rough treatment,  just keeps plugging away. 

A close second would be my Browning BPS in 20ga but it's still too new to be fondly thought about. 

lee sykes
5 hours ago, Yukon1 said:

I still haven't found my ideal gun. Thought I had it when I was gifted a family Fox but I can't hit a thing with it. I'd have better luck throwing the gun at the birds. Still enjoy carrying it around though and it saves time field dressing...

For actually hittin' stuff though, my go-to is an old Remington Sportsman 58 in 16ga. It's a three shot auto that has been the family "meat gun" since my father bought it around the time I was born. That gun has shot everything from ducks to deer(great with slugs), as well as hare, ruffs, woodcock and squirrels. It's like the old Willy's we used to have; doesn't mind rough treatment,  just keeps plugging away. 

A close second would be my Browning BPS in 20ga but it's still too new to be fondly thought about. 

The only shotgun in our house while growing up (besides my single shot)  Was a Model 58 Sportsman in 12 gauge. Full choke. Shot my first deer with it and got my first true double on pheasants.  It was a fast pointer and light for a 12 gauge Semi-Auto. 

salmontogue

I should probably contribute to this thread seeing I was the OP.

I have suffered through my double phase for nearly six decades and my collection reflects that illness.  My parents and my aunt and uncle were enablers over the years along with my own unreasonable gun collecting passion.

I have never seen a Superposed I did not like.  That goes for most Citoris too.  Then there is B. Rizzini, a slice of paradise, particularly the Artemis O/U and the BR SxS.  The sweet spot for the Ithaca NID is 20g, I have several high grade examples.  Add Foxes, Parkers and a Purdey matched set as winners.  A high grade Remington 1100 Upland, several Sauer SxS and a Winchester Traditional Elegance round out the choices.

I guess I am often conflicted which to use,  like my wife with a closet full of shores. 

Perk