salmontogue

Your Ideal Grouse & Woodcock Gun

Chukarman
3 hours ago, Billwolfe said:

I'm a newbie to this board, but the perfect woodcock and grouse gun is a topic that has kept me amused for several years.  My little 1950s Verney Carron 20 may be as close to an ideal grouse and woodcock gun as I'll find.  Weighs 5# 6oz with 27" tubes choked .003" R, .010" L.  Pitted bores, blue worn off receiver and fences from carrying, but it's a great consistent little gun if I do my part.

53334_1024x768.jpg

A runner up is an old St. Etienne guild gun from the 1920 refinished by Mark Beasland http://www.mbabllc.com/page/page/7927803.htm  12 bore with short chambers, 27.5" barrels opened to .003"R, .015"L, 5# 15oz.

53514_1024x363.jpg

53515_600x400.jpg

And finally, 12 gauge V21 Darne weighing 5# 15 oz with 29.75" barrels.  Haven't had a chance to take it into the woodcock coverts yet, but the first time I shot it put a rabbit in the bag.  The long barrels take it a bit outside the normal specs, especially in a 12, but the light weight and superb handling might just work out.

That is a lovely gun.

Chukarman
On 2/4/2018 at 7:09 AM, Recoil Rob said:

Yeah, some days I can see the PB pics, other day's I can't. Let's try a different way.....

2ptv3uq.jpg

69ls9k.jpg

nvtz4.jpg

Sweet.

Cooter Brown
3 hours ago, Billwolfe said:

I'm a newbie to this board, but the perfect woodcock and grouse gun is a topic that has kept me amused for several years.  My little 1950s Verney Carron 20 may be as close to an ideal grouse and woodcock gun as I'll find.  Weighs 5# 6oz with 27" tubes choked .003" R, .010" L.  Pitted bores, blue worn off receiver and fences from carrying, but it's a great consistent little gun if I do my part.

53334_1024x768.jpg

A runner up is an old St. Etienne guild gun from the 1920 refinished by Mark Beasland http://www.mbabllc.com/page/page/7927803.htm  12 bore with short chambers, 27.5" barrels opened to .003"R, .015"L, 5# 15oz.

53514_1024x363.jpg

53515_600x400.jpg

And finally, 12 gauge V21 Darne weighing 5# 15 oz with 29.75" barrels.  Haven't had a chance to take it into the woodcock coverts yet, but the first time I shot it put a rabbit in the bag.  The long barrels take it a bit outside the normal specs, especially in a 12, but the light weight and superb handling might just work out.

53333_1024x768.jpg

53413_1024x176.jpg

53421_800x600.jpg

That my friend is a heck of an introduction--that and your post in the bird dogs thread.

All three of those guns are wonderful.

Billwolfe
2 hours ago, Cooter Brown said:

That my friend is a heck of an introduction--that and your post in the bird dogs thread.

All three of those guns are wonderful.

Thanks for the welcome, Cooter!  Gilley's a pretty good ambassador.  Way more photogenic than the guy who feeds him and drives him the the WMAs....

Chukarman, who made your 2-incher & what does it weigh?  Looks like a beaut!  

Upland_Hunter

Ithica/SKB 500 20 gauge with 26" barrels - choked MOD and IMP CYLINDER.

Swampy 16

Now that’s a loaded question. I haven’t read any of the responses but any sxs 16 is in my opinion a great start. Price versus quality versus balance I’d have to say a JP Sauer but there are dozens depending on what side of the bed you wake up on and what you can afford.

Upland_Hunter
23 hours ago, Upland_Hunter said:

Ithica/SKB 500 20 gauge with 26" barrels - choked MOD and IMP CYLINDER.

WOODCOCK_10_2015.JPG

quailguy
IMG_2073

I own it, but I have only a guess that this Parker DH might be my ideal grouse and woodcock gun. Its an 1899 gun, 16 gauge on an "O" frame, 28 inch damascus barrels, MOD and IMOD and weighs 6 pounds 3 oz. Needs some screws replaced and some TLC. It's at Dewey Vicknair's now and seems to be just the thing if I can get the chokes opened a skosh and the stock bent just a hair. (??!!)

I know, I know, shoot those spread R shells but the patterns of those shells can leave something to be desired. 

Swampy 16
2 hours ago, quailguy said:

IMG_2073

I own it, but I have only a guess that this Parker DH might be my ideal grouse and woodcock gun. Its an 1899 gun, 16 gauge on an "O" frame, 28 inch damascus barrels, MOD and IMOD and weighs 6 pounds 3 oz. Needs some screws replaced and some TLC. It's at Dewey Vicknair's now and seems to be just the thing if I can get the chokes opened a skosh and the stock bent just a hair. (??!!)

I know, I know, shoot those spread R shells but the patterns of those shells can leave something to be desired. 

I’m not a huge fan of spreaders either. Too many holes in the pattern. I just loaded some with spreader inserts and need to pattern them. I’ll post my results. That’s an awesome Parker BTW. That’s the kind of gun I dream of. Before you open the chokes be sure to pattern a bunch of different loads. You may be surprised. And try some low pressure reloads.

Wyobirds

Many of you folks have beautiful grouse gun!!

I hunted Mountain grouse, huns, prairie grouse, dove and pheasant for over 30 years with a pair of 20 Ga. BSS's.  Both guns were of the Sporter style, having straight grips and a semi beaver tail forend.  The barrels are 28" and I opened up the full choked gun with the selective trigger to Imp. Cyl.

I have also used a 28Ga. Parker 2-barrel set for Mountain grouse, but no longer do so.

In 2006 I handled a 16 Ga. #2 AyA and from that day forward I used that gun for everything that flies sans waterfowl.

My Blue and Ruff loads are 3/4 oz.of #7 shot and most birds are taken with the Imp. Cyl barrel.

I enjoy going into the mountains on horseback and while traveling to the hunting area, Annie, my French Britt either rides with me or my wife or on a pack horse.

Curt

My ideal grouse gun is the one I'm holding in my hands while walking in on a point in beautiful grouse cover on a fall afternoon.  No need to be more specific than that for me.

Auto-5

Not really a grouse hunter as they are virtually non existent in my area anymore. I can’t remember even hearing one drum in the last 10-15 years much less see one.  Not the case in my youth. However based on my past experience should they miraculously reappear in any numbers I could easily screw the skeet and ic tubes into my 20 ga. Orion o/u and hit the hills.

ThreeDogs
On 2/4/2018 at 8:09 AM, Recoil Rob said:

Yeah, some days I can see the PB pics, other day's I can't. Let's try a different way.....

2ptv3uq.jpg

69ls9k.jpg

nvtz4.jpg

I would love one of these!!