• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
jeff88

Cedar Waxwings

jeff88

Just witnessed a massive attack on our Yaupon bushes by a mob of Cedar Waxwings - such an amazing sight!   Watched while on a con call overlooking our backyard from my home office.  Made my day.

Millriver

Very cool. Don't get to see them here like that too often. Too bad Irishwhistler wasn't there to photograph that for you!

mister grouse

Cant wait to see them up in my area later in the spring .  They show up here and stay maybe 2-3 days.  Hundreds are here and then gone  in short order.  They love the Mahonia Holly in my yard and strip every berry in their brief visit.  The masked bandits.

Pomoxis

Nice. I had a swarm of them devour what was left of my crab apples about a month ago. Didn't take them long.

MTPipeliner

They’re one of my all time favorite birds, but I rarely get them in my yard. 

Remo

The waxwings swarm the flowering crabs here.

P1080215

Irishwhistler

Aye Jeff, 

Here's a wee momento of ye ornithological invasion.😉

"CEDAR WAXWINGS" 

DSC01098.thumb.jpg.028efd3891b77214fa5030d38cf0840e.jpg

DSC01100Resized.thumb.jpg.bff06d99697a57b6bfa462486ec58e72.jpg

I captured these images as they were feeding on some remaining wild grapes behind my home.

Cheers,

Irishwhistler 🍀

Tilkut

I was fishing with my youngest years ago on the milwaukee river, when he rocketed a cast almost straight up into the wind. The line sort of billowed out, and somehow looped over a cedar wax wing as he tried to fly by. Line and bird both settled in the water. We were able to pluck him from the water quickly, and set him on a nearby branch to dry. He quickly perked up and took off. Cool experience with a cool bird. 

idcut

When I was a youngster, my folks had a Mountain Ash tree that the waxwings would clean the berries off, every year. I waited with anticipation, for their arrival. They sure were fun to watch!

WI Outdoor Nut

In mid December, I had a flock of about 50 stick around for a few days.  They would come feed off my cranberry high brush and cedar trees.  It was very cool and have not witnessed that before.  Thought they were fairly early migrants but maybe not.  We had really cold temps in WI by then. 

Sage Hen

Every spring and again in the fall we get a swarm of Bohemian Waxwings moving through our place. I though they were the ceders until I spent some time with my bird books. Beautiful birds. 

jeff88

Unless you've seen them in action, it's really difficult to describe.  Irishwhistler once again produces really amazing photos above, they bring out how beautiful this bird is.  The other thing that is cool is that waxwings have groupies.  Ever notice that often robins or sparrows follow them?  

Couple years ago I was outside when a mob hit the front Yaupons, I stood about 25' away and listened to them - it sounded like rain as they shat liquid while they stripped the berries -- oddly enough it was really cool to see and hear this event.  Under no circumstances do you want to be under this onslaught!

Big Al

When the choke cherries are ripe in MT we'll have big flocks of them show up for the feast.  A very cool bird.  Unfortunately the aftermath of red crap is a downer.

The flickers get drunk on the choke cherries.  They can't fly and stumble all over the place. Pretty funny.

dgfavor

Had a big swarm of them come thru here last January - tried to get crisp shot of 'em holding berries in their mouths but they gobble them so fast all I got was blur!!  Just a bit beyond optimal focal length anyway.

c_zpspzb43jaz.jpg

b_zpsj627kmng.jpg

paul frey

I had to look up what Cedar Waxwings look like.  I don't think we get them here in NY.  I have some flocks of blackbirds that come to my feeder. They are not starlings. They are pitch black but about the same size as a starling.  They come in flocks about 50 birds. I have to look them up to see if I can figure out what they are.