• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Sign in to follow this  
creeker

What are the chances for more VA woodcock?

creeker

So we had the deep freeze and the snow, now it is thawing out.  What are the chances we will see any more woodcock this season in VA?  I was planning on running the dog this weekend to see if any are still moving through, but with as cold as it was I figured all the worms are too deep and the birds headed south.  Maybe go for grouse instead.

Mike Connally

They are gone from the areas I normally hunt. I would normally hunt tidewater in the late season but that got hit harder with cold and snow than central VA. 

bmeador

Just saying, we have had a TREMENDOUS influx of Robins that began Sunday. They are thick in my area and some say an indicator of WC migration. I'll have more data on this by dusk tomorrow...  Just saying...

bmeador

Well, after scientific research, I deduce that a tremendous influx of Robins after a severe January cold snap does not correlate to a flight of Woodcock. However, Anya did find one woodcock on a beautiful point, it flushed into an opening and I didn't miss!!! I think I killed the last WC in Southside VA.

ALL of the low-lying covers along streams that I hit were frozen. All of my higher up, thick large DBH loblolly stands were not.

20180110_164917.jpg

tut

One of those years.  This is the time they should be here, but alas they are gone.  Guessing SC will be the honey hole this year for late season birds. 

mccuha
4 hours ago, tut said:

One of those years.  This is the time they should be here, but alas they are gone.  Guessing SC will be the honey hole this year for late season birds. 

I hope you’re right.  Going to get back after them week after next.  Till the end of January