• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
doodlecrazy

Hard time getting up

DocE

IVDD at age 2 ?

Xrays only show the space the disc occupies, it does not show the disc --- so how do they

know that  "it isn't pushing against his spine"  (I think you meant spinal cord or nerve roots).

I think I would want an opinion from a vet orthopedist.

doodlecrazy
51 minutes ago, DocE said:

IVDD at age 2 ?

Xrays only show the space the disc occupies, it does not show the disc --- so how do they

know that  "it isn't pushing against his spine"  (I think you meant spinal cord or nerve roots).

I think I would want an opinion from a vet orthopedist.

I'm certainly not an expert when it comes to this but based on my testimony of Morgan's actions I think they assumed his spinal cord was un-affected. He does not seem like he's in pain and can get around absolutely fine, once he gets up. They wanted to start with the least invasive treatment first. If he's still having issues after rest and medication then they suggested I do the dye imagery test/ MRI/possible surgery. I'm certainly open to suggestions on where I can take him for a second opinion.

doodlecrazy
4 hours ago, Dogwood said:

Awefully young for IV disc disease.

Do you have any suggestions or thoughts on what else it could be? Really bummed out about this.

Dogwood

Give the meds a few days and if no improvement or especially if the symptoms worsen then a visit to a vet neurologist is in order if available and in the budget etc .

Regardless a good exam should help determine whether the problem is truly neurological or not, at what level etc.

Peent

Did you test for Blastomycosis?   I know that it typically is found with a lung problem but i have heard of systemic Blastomycosis that will cause a fungal spinal cord infection.  

SLR

I had a dog with an acute low back and her main symptom was difficulty going up stairs, or jumping into a chair. Weakness in the hind quarters. On physical exam she showed pain with flexion of her low back by raising both hind legs at the same time. She recovered with rest and anti-inflammatory meds. She incurred that injury by making vertical leaps trying to get at a squirrel in an apple tree.  Hope your dog recovers well.

doodlecrazy
11 minutes ago, SLR said:

I had a dog with an acute low back and her main symptom was difficulty going up stairs, or jumping into a chair. Weakness in the hind quarters. On physical exam she showed pain with flexion of her low back by raising both hind legs at the same time. She recovered with rest and anti-inflammatory meds. She incurred that injury by making vertical leaps trying to get at a squirrel in an apple tree.  Hope your dog recovers well.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll keep everyone updated but he has improved significantly since being put on the meds. Keeping a 2yr old setter relatively docile is a full time job.