topdog1961

One more...the hard way

topdog1961

And I won’t even have to grind this one to make hamburger.  I got the call last night from my 16 year old son that he had hit a deer.  I called the sheriff so we could get a report for the insurance company.  Ironically we just got his car back a couple weeks ago from the body shop after he hit a large raccoon that took out the bottom of his fascia and lower grille, doing $1,700 damage.  When the first snow hit after we got it back, I lamented that with his being a new driver with no winter driving experience, I should have waited until spring to repair his car.  I wish I had, because that would have saved my insurance company $1,700.  The damage on this will be far more, the fascia is barely hanging on, the headlight points straight down, and the right fender is drove into the passenger door, making it inoperable. All this is on top of a comprehensive claim for minor hail damage last summer on 3 vehicles that cost my insurance company over $4,000. I’ll admit I took advantage of that situation and only got my truck fixed, and pocketed $3,000. Fortunately my comprehensive coverage has zero deductible, and my insurance agent says that comprehensive claims won’t affect my rating, but I have to wonder.  Between our home, 5 vehicles, boat, motorcycle, guns, jewelry, 3 trailers, and two teen drivers, I pay close to $600 monthly already for insurance. I've been with this company almost 30 years. 

I’ve never processed road kill before so it will be interesting to see what is left.  He T-boned it going 55, it landed in the ditch and never moved.  The only visible damage was a broken lower leg, but there was a lot on internal bleeding when I dressed her, and the inner loins felt especially soft when I cut them out.  I guess we’ll see Friday when I skin her out. We have all the steaks and roasts we need.  Likely I’ll just cut any useable looking meat off the carcass without even quartering her and grind it for brats.  Except maybe for the backstrap if that’s good.  Anyone have experience processing road kill?  Any advice? Am I wasting my time?

It’s hard to believe I need my deer cooler in January, 50 today and almost 60 tomorrow, after 3 weeks of sub zero weather.

image.jpeg

Brad Eden

I think I'll keep my plow on the truck through winter...that will protect my grill...I'm seeing deer crossing roads in broad daylight, which is highly unusual in Maine. I have deer popping into my my driveway at the street end almost every night, and they are crossing the town dirt road. First I've seen that since we moved here in 2014.

You will know what you have to work with once skinned. It will probably be worth it just for the front shoulders for burger/sausage, back straps and inner loin if OK.  Nice to salvage a road kill. I'm guilty of that and pick up grouse or wild turkeys and if still warm under the wing, they come home with me.

topdog1961

And my wife just informed me that our HS senior daughter slid on the ice and hit a car in the school parking lot this morning. 

I give up. 

Edit: Learning there was a lot of bumping around in the school parking lot this morning. It had intermittent sheets of black ice. We've contacted the other parents and they are good with no school or police involvement. Likely we'll repair her car out of pocket if the damage is minor. Our daughter has a part time job so she will have some skin in this also. They even mentioned if the damage is minor they may just forget it as the other car is pretty banged up already. My daughters is not lacking for scratches either. Benefits of living in a small town where everyone knows everyone. 

2nd edit: things are looking up. The parent owner of the other car went and looked at it and said it was only scratched, but not to the metal, and not dented. They planned on putting it on the shop in the spring to get other scratches buffed and touched up and they would be fine if we paid a small portion of that cost attributable to my daughter. Whew! Now for what her car looks like, I won't know until tonight. 

garyRI
1 hour ago, topdog1961 said:

there was a lot on internal bleeding when I dressed her,

This is a good thing. It bled out. Aside from heavily bruised meat the rest could be fine.

mccuha
47 minutes ago, Brad Eden said:

I'm guilty of that and pick up grouse or wild turkeys and if still warm under the wing, they come home with me.

One of my FIL's foremen carries a big cooler in the winter months with him. If he comes across a deer that is still warm in the morning he'll quickly quarter it up and throw in a cooler, ice it down and dress it when he get's home. He never has a shortage of deer meat. Another guy that worked for him a long time ago had a real old heavily made car( think a 70 something station wagon) and when his freezer would get low he would drive around intentionaly hunting deer with the car. He was a crazy but kept his freezer full year round.

topdog1961

I used to work with a guy named Mark who was also a crazy.  He was one of the best story tellers I ever met.  I’ve told it here before, and I can’t do the story justice like Mark could, but one on my favorites was about the warm summer evening he and two friends went for a drive in his beater Plymouth Horizon.  One friend sat in the passenger seat and the other in the back seat on the passenger side.  They had the windows down.  Mark says a deer jumped out of the ditch, into the air, and the passenger side windshield pillar caught it right in the middle.  The force of the impact folded the deer in half, and the contents of its abdominal cavity emptied out its rear, through the window, and into the face of his buddy in the back seat.  Mark said he and his other buddy were laughing too hard to worry about the car.

With friends like that…..

Marc Ret

Having spent 6 years helping in a butcher shop owned by a friend's father, I have a "little" experience with roadkill. With that experience I came to the conclusion that if you can process the deer yourself, go for it. If you've got to pay someone to cut it up, let the scavengers take care of it. I don't like wasting wild meat but of the hundred+ or so roadkills I cut up, the amount of edible (to me) meat was minimal in most cases. Coagulated blood, bone splinters, etc. that are part and parcel with most roadkills just don't make it a cost effective endeavor. 

One of the best we got in the shop was a six-point hit by the local VFD. It jumped in front of the fire engine on the way to a call. They stopped, picked it up, put it on the back of the truck and went on their way to the call. When we got it, I hung it in the kill room, grabbed the electric bone saw and proceeded to cut it in half lengthwise through the spine. Threw one half in the rendering barrel and processed  the other side. 

Then there was the time a cattle hauler wrecked on the turnpike a few miles north of the shop...

Huntschool

Can you say.... buy a truck and put a Ranch Hand front bumper and grill guard on it......  It might be better than Brad's snow plow and look way more cool..... They will make them custom for cars up to and including Mercedes 

topdog1961
10 hours ago, Huntschool said:

Can you say.... buy a truck and put a Ranch Hand front bumper and grill guard on it......  It might be better than Brad's snow plow and look way more cool..... They will make them custom for cars up to and including Mercedes 

There's a lot to be said for that logic. Unfortunately we live in rural NW Ohio and it's a 60 mile round trip to go to a movie or shop. My two teens have enough trouble keeping gas in their 4 cylinder cars, much less trucks. Oddly, my mower uses a lot more gas since my son started driving. 

But there is something wrong when a raccoon can do $1,700 damage to a car. I love my son's 09 Scion XB, but my only concern with it in our situation is that big front fascia hanging down below the front bumper and sitting close to the ground. Most newer cars seem to be built that way, form over function. They must be a body shop's dream come true. I drive 125 miles round trip to work, in the dark every morning and many evenings this time of year. I drive an 04 Hyundai with not a lot going on below the front bumper. I've ran over all manner of small game without damage. I once even ran over a full grown dear laying in the road. I may have went airborne for a second, but no damage. 

Ironically after my son and I hung the deer he hit Tuesday night, his girlfriend and her little sister picked him up to continue his trip to McDonalds in the next small town north. She hit an Opossum and busted up the fascia on her Fiat. 

Big Al

I think you should tell these kids to slow down.

dogrunner

I think you got off cheap. My nephew hit one with my sisters car 5 miles from there cabin when he was going up deer hunting.  Guess how much $ ?     They found the deer but for some reason my bro in law didn’t take it.  

4426B05B-CCB9-40C8-9AC3-FCFDBD418901.jpeg

F1BD6419-0019-44D5-A2C0-F72C1B634773.jpeg

topdog1961
3 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

I think you got off cheap. 

Not sure about that. The $1,700 was caused by a raccoon. We just got that fixed. The deer hit is going to cost a lot more, we can't even open the door. My wife took it in for the estimate yesterday but we haven't heard what the total is. Either way I have zero comprehensive deductible so it won't cost me a dime.  My insurance agent says comprehensive claims don't affect my rating but I fear at some point the insurance company will get fed up. I've had 3 in less than a year. Or they could used the first minor ticket or collision claim to drop us. 

Id say that's about $3,500 damage in the car pictured. 

dogrunner

Nope $9,700. 😳

topdog1961
11 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Nope $9,700. 😳

Then they may total my son's car. I paid less than half that for it. 

mccuha

I know people hit deer all the time but how many of you have had a deer run into your car?   

In 2008 I bought a brand new truck. Less than a week owning it I took my son to the coast for a youth draw duck hunt.  All the perticipants met at a place on the property then followed a dnr guy to a parking spot about a mile a way.  Well I was stopped dead still in a dirt road waiting for the people in front of me to park so I could enter. All of a sudden I heard a very loud crash sound on my passenger side front door.  Didn’t know what just happened. I pulled in to a spot.  I got out to try and figure out what just happened. A guy behind me parked next to me and said that a huge buck ran head first into the side of the truck.  Tore that door to hell. I don’t know how it didn’t come through.  I’m glad it didn’t because my son could have been seriously injured. The guy said the buck laid in the road for a moment like he was knocked out. Then got up and walked away. We went out after the hunt to see if we could find it but there was no luck.  I was sick. Cost me a good bit of money to fix it. It’s the craziest thing I’ve ever experienced with a deer