• Announcements

• Brad Eden

2018 UJ SUMMER AUCTION   06/23/2018

It's time....to start thinking about and preparing for the 2018 UJ SUMMER AUCTION. This Auction has become a UJ Tradition, with loads of great gear donated by our Ad Sponsors and Membership. Items range from Upland vests...Birddog gear...hunting and fishing trips...silver engraved money clips...custom knives, to great food products. I will be starting to contact Upland Ad Sponsors and Members, and will start the dedicated Auction Forum soon. I will include links to past Auctions so Members get an idea of what's typically available to bid on, and to see if they have anything they would like to offer for bidding. Stay tuned!
charlo slim

The "bat-eared" dog - what is the message?

charlo slim

See the dog in the UJ header photo?  Ears sort of cupped out and extended.  Surely there is some kind of message being sent there.... or not?  Old Slim would often throw that look and I always took it as  a quizzical "what's up, Boss" kind of pitch, with an optimistic / positive twist.  It was quite unlike the droop-eared look when he thought he had probably screwed up somehow. 

So, any doggie psychologists in the house?  What (if anything) do you make of the endearing "flying nun" pose?

Greg Hartman

Do you know nothing??  Ears are for aerodynamic stability when you've left your cape at home:

8-2-17 - It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SuperJoy

They also work well to express your disgust with ruffed grouse hunting lately:

12-19-17 - Joy's thoughts on late season grouse hunting

If you twirl 'em hard enough you can take off and catch those damn phez in the air before the Boss gets a chance to miss 'em (again):

1-9-18 - A goon afield

Or, you could just use 'em to look cute when you want something.  "Lemme in - I'm freezing', Boss!"

1-23-16 - May we PLEASE come in

salmontogue
30 minutes ago, Greg Hartman said:

Do you know nothing??  Ears are for aerodynamic stability when you've left your cape at home:

8-2-17 - It's a bird, it's a plane, it's SuperJoy

They also work well to express your disgust with ruffed grouse hunting lately:

12-19-17 - Joy's thoughts on late season grouse hunting

If you twirl 'em hard enough you can take off and catch those damn phez in the air before the Boss gets a chance to miss 'em (again):

1-9-18 - A goon afield

Or, you could just use 'em to look cute when you want something.  "Lemme in - I'm freezing', Boss!"

1-23-16 - May we PLEASE come in

You gotta love dogs  Too funny.

Perk

TimJ

Who knows what messages dogs send us with their subtle expressions. I like to believe this means "I'm your best bud, I got your back." Something like that...its hard to pick up.

RdHRRTc.jpg

MNice

Image may contain: snow, tree and outdoor

I thought ears were for high speed maneuvering.

Brad Eden

IMG_0194.JPG

I get that ear forward look when I say "Bird!" to my dogs. It's an expression of intense interest. 

IMG_0498.JPG

The ears back back and tongue lolling to the ground look is when they just flushed and retrieved a "Bird!".

sdspringer49
15 minutes ago, TimJ said:

Who knows what messages dogs send us with their subtle expressions. I like to believe this means "I'm your best bud, I got your back." Something like that...its hard to pick up.

RdHRRTc.jpg

Tim....I think it is a suggestion to stop missing the phez that are being located for you.  

DAP

What a bunch of anthropomorphists you all are.   Dogs don't display their feelings.  

EXgZhXe.jpg

WPG Gizmo

Looks like your pup is saying I hate the taste of these things :P

bruski

And the cause...

meth-lab-dog.jpg

Urban_Redneck

The bat ears are of little concern, I now have conclusive proof that min is a shape shifterDSCN1870_zpsqc2hiqiv.thumb.JPG.708e07c57c5250608008e7b5a41f9de7.JPG

GuyO

Who you callin’ A bat!?

D197B142-0B75-453D-9315-B0D3BCAD3B02.jpeg

Fishnfowler
On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 11:26 AM, Brad Eden said:

IMG_0194.JPG

I get that ear forward look when I say "Bird!" to my dogs. It's an expression of intense interest. 

IMG_0498.JPG

The ears back back and tongue lolling to the ground look is when they just flushed and retrieved a "Bird!".

That dog on the right is the smallest bird dog I've seen.  What is the breed?

Brad Eden
11 hours ago, Fishnfowler said:

That dog on the right is the smallest bird dog I've seen.  What is the breed?

IMG_0582.JPG

Well, she thinks she's a bird hunting dog. And knows what Woodcock and grouse are and will crawl through some slash and swim through two feet of snow with her brother Cash to get at them. Cavalier King Charles Spaniel aka "Nobody told me I was a lapdog"