Treerooster

I'm such a klutz

Treerooster

I hunt along a river. The extreme cold had the river freeze up downstream. That cause it to back up and flood in my area. Then it froze here and a few days later the river opened back up and receded. This left areas of ice that were hollow underneath. Then it snowed covering everything up.

Well its hunting season and I am too stubborn (diplomatic way of saying dumb) not  to go. So I went. Long story short I punched through the ice over one of those hollows. Just 1 foot went through and I don't know if I hit bottom or my crotch stopped me. All I know is I was instantly laying on the ice and my gun was over there. Gave it a quick check and thought it was OK. It wasn't.

The end of the barrel must have hit the ice and was damaged. I shot the gun after the fall and I think the metal was pushed in, then forced out.

The gun is at Briley now. It will be a smidge shorter and the chokes reset. I am also having them take a dent out from a previous fall...this is a different dent that I had taken out earlier form a fall before that one. Maybe I should just stay home, but like I said...I'm stubborn.

AYA 16ga mod 2.

PC290106.JPG

Treerooster

Another view.

PC290105.JPG

jeff88

Glad you are OK.  That really sucks that your gun was damaged, especially such a nice one.  

gunsrus
47 minutes ago, jeff88 said:

Glad you are OK.  That really sucks that your gun was damaged, especially such a nice one.  

Agree , kind of opens your eyes as to how much metal there is under choke tubes . Yes , I have some but for years now I have been inclined to buy guns without them . My opinion , choke tubes are overrated . 

Beautiful gun , good luck with the fix .

BlacknTan

The folks at Briley will make it good as new... and you'll have a new barrel length that no one else has!

There's always a silver lining!

salmontogue
36 minutes ago, BlacknTan said:

The folks at Briley will make it good as new... and you'll have a new barrel length that no one else has!

There's always a silver lining!

The greatest good luck is that nobody was hurt.

Perk

Greg Hartman

Whew!  Those really are thin walls.  Glad you're OK.  Gun can be fixed.

jeff88

In early Nov I fell while in PA - tripped over a well hidden strand of barb wire while going thru a thick area.  Fell to my right side and kept the gun high with my left hand.  Broke the fall landing square on the right elbow, it all happened really fast.  Result is elbow bursitis that hurt like he!!  Two days left  on that hunt and just played through the pain.  

Still a bit of a mess but healing.   We are literally always one step away from an accident out there and often it comes very suddenly.  

25/06

Good to hear you did not get hurt!

Briley folks do good work

I remember reading passage in one of Michael McIntosh's books in which he muses about the story that old guns could tell. He said the majority would be very boring about how

they ended up standing in the closet for a few decades. Your gun does not sound like it has that problem!

By the way if there were no cameras or witnesses you can tell the story how you remember it!

gunsrus

I'm always falling out there but this year was an exception . I fell so many times I forgot how many . most know I shoot all my guns and honestly only a couple times did I really ding up a stock . This year hunting with an XE , I took a fall that I had no time to react to . Lying there I looked around and there was rock everywhere . How I didn't slam that gun on rocks , I'll never know , gun just happen to hit on grasses . Sometimes life just serves you up a popsicle !

Treerooster

I fall a lot too. Embarrassingly too much really.  One thing good about hunting Ruffed Grouse is there is usually something to grab to stop my fall, I was not in the grouse woods this time.

The fall where I damaged my gun was so fast I had no time to react at all. I must have had the barrel pointed down when I went through the ice. The gun was laying on the ice about 5 feet from me.

The thin wall chokes I am sure contributed to the damage. But that gun has thin barrels to begin with and I think there would have been damage anyway. Its a light game gun.

It is a nice gun but that's not why I like it so much. I like it because I can hit with it and it comes up quick & smooth. I can see why some enjoy a beautiful gun or one that is old, but that's just not me. I do like the looks of a SxS, but I keep my guns in a safe so I really don't look at them much. I like the way the gun feels in my hands, so I hunt with it and hunt hard with it. Rain or shine the gun goes when I go.

Briley said they can fix it. Going to lose .125 to .150 of an inch off the end of the barrel. They will take out the old dent too. The gun will probably be back in my hands within a month or so.

ThreeDogs

Dang glad your ok!

Urban_Redneck

In 50 years,  some dealer will have it listed as a "No.2 16 bore  with RARE 27 5/8" bbls". It certainly could have been worse.

CountryLife

Take a deep breath.  It will be okay.  I took a spill this season as well and after my gunsmith originally thought my Citori was toast, he found the problem and she's back in service.  

jeff88

There is no escaping age, my balance is not nearly as good as it once was which makes it trickier to hunt.  Further, I retired from competitive soccer about 8 years ago which was helpful in maintaining the core, balance etc.  Now I have to fake it with exercise machines.  For instance, on the elliptical machine I'll do 30 to 45 minutes hands free, in each hand I often have a 3 lb weight.  Will also often do 50 TO 100% with backward strides.  That really helps the core and work on balance.  The weights are a way to keep my hands in use and to try to replicate carrying a 6 lb. gun.