FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
LabHunter

Quail Forever Effectiveness?

LabHunter

Back when QF first started, we attempted to form a Maryland chapter.  We did a few things, but we did not have enough members at the time and interest fizzled out before we got to the point of holding a banquet, etc.  There are now actually quite a few QF members here in our state, but they are no chapters at this point.

Have you seen a measurable effect of the QF chapters near you?  Is it an effective organization?

We don't have many quail here even in a good year and the other thing I worry about with an organization like this is actually publicizing where those few birds are.  I'd love to have more and I'm happy to do some work towards this end, but I'm hesitant to draw attention to such a small resource.  Thoughts?

Trev

watermen
5 hours ago, LabHunter said:

Back when QF first started, we attempted to form a Maryland chapter.  We did a few things, but we did not have enough members at the time and interest fizzled out before we got to the point of holding a banquet, etc.  There are now actually quite a few QF members here in our state, but they are no chapters at this point.

Have you seen a measurable effect of the QF chapters near you?  Is it an effective organization?

We don't have many quail here even in a good year and the other thing I worry about with an organization like this is actually publicizing where those few birds are.  I'd love to have more and I'm happy to do some work towards this end, but I'm hesitant to draw attention to such a small resource.  Thoughts?

Trev

sent you a pm trev

quailguy
8 hours ago, LabHunter said:

First I've been a long time member of DU and a sometimes member of QU, PF and QF. I helped set up a PF chapter years ago. DU gets things done. Sometimes I disagree with DU policies, but they get things done.

I don't think most other gamebird advocacy groups do much good except RGS and they could be more effective.  But PF, the QF parent,  is effective in places. The DC lobbying effort is possibly the most important thing they do, trying to positively impact Federal farming policy.

It seems to me what a chapter actually does and does with the money it raises is very important. Do 2 good things well or 10 good things poorly.

The Park Cities Quail,  http://parkcitiesquail.org/,  in Texas does a really good job of supporting quail related research. Park City is a buncha millionaires and billionaires who do put their money where their mouth is. They get the research done and then put it into effect on their own ranches.

What real effective impact is a chapter of, say 50 ordinary guys, going to actually have on quail numbers? Not much from my experience. I think that it is very difficult for a chapter to really impact quail populations simply due to their nature and habitat requirements.

JMHO

Kansas Bound

I think they do a good job with the money that they raise. I am a life member of PF and make yearly contributions to QF.

dogrunner

Actually PF and QF do quite a bit for habitat, the Farm bill and kids nowadays. Depends on your Chapter and how much you want to get involved. 

Wisconsin

If not QF, then who? They are under the umbrella of PF - the habitat folks.

HAMMER DOG

I haven't seen much if any done by QF locally, definitely not more than I saw under QU, and we all know how that financial situation ended up. I hear of them doing things but have not personally seen any of it with my own eyes, I am not a member FWIW but do follow them and know a couple of the officers here locally.

boutdoors4

Been a QF member since we went over to them when QU went under, at first I was not that  impressed with them. Since we have had trouble with the Angeles National Forest not allowing us to do much of anything since they started new protocols for volunteers to work in the forest for several years, our QF regional director has stepped in and helped in overcoming those problems and instituting standard protocols for all the local forests that eases the restrictions for all the local QF chapters. Part of the new protocols were volunteer forms having to be filled out by volunteers in order to work in the forest including filling out a sexual harassment form. Forest has also started new protocol for working in forest which requires us to check in when we go in to forest to do work and to check out with them when we are done. If not for the QF director I don't believe we would have been able to continue working in the national forest. Also part of the problem we were having is a new organization was coming into the forest and working on guzzler sites that we have been taking care of for over 30 years and not notifying the forest nor following the protocol, our director brokered an agreement with the forest allowing us and the other organization to work together and notify each other what we would be working on without the forest  arbitrarily dividing the forest and denying us from working on sites that we have been taking care of  for years. So to sum it up QF has been a big help to out here in CA. Check out our Facebook page see what we do.

Thanks,

Robert

https://www.facebook.com/San-Gabriel-Valley-Quail-Forever-1406554102910264/

LabHunter

One thing I would really like to see here in Maryland is the creation of quail habitat on the Chesapeake Forest Lands on the eastern shore.  We have quite a few acres in these lands that are available for hunting, but they largely consist of overgrown pine cuts.  If we could do some thinning and clear cutting on these lands, I think there could be some good potential for quail.  I was thinking that just having our members (we have over 300 QF/PF members in MD now) contact the DNR to encourage habitat development could be an effective use of the organization.  I suspect we could have a bigger impact on policy than we could financially. 

Out here in the east, I don't believe the farm bill really does much for quail habitat. 

Robert, that is good to hear that the higher echelons of QF can be effective in helping to change policy.  That could be something that could help. 

Scar

I don't see any real action on the part of QF/PF in my community.  We have a local chapter and nearly as I can tell they show up once a year with their hands out and take money from the (mostly poor) people in my community and mail it off to Washington to pay some lobbyist to try to advocate for clauses in the farm bill detrimental to farmers.  This actually makes access for most hunters more difficult as the farmers/ranchers are sophisticated enough to know that the QF/PF aren't on their side.  I'd feel better about the organization if I felt they were actively promoting the sport by encouraging more youth participation but it's hard for the leadership to get kids involved if they only show up in the community 2-3 days a year to collect the banquet proceeds and dues.

They don't get any of my money.

prairierat
8 hours ago, Scar said:

I don't see any real action on the part of QF/PF in my community.  We have a local chapter and nearly as I can tell they show up once a year with their hands out and take money from the (mostly poor) people in my community and mail it off to Washington to pay some lobbyist to try to advocate for clauses in the farm bill detrimental to farmers.  This actually makes access for most hunters more difficult as the farmers/ranchers are sophisticated enough to know that the QF/PF aren't on their side.  I'd feel better about the organization if I felt they were actively promoting the sport by encouraging more youth participation but it's hard for the leadership to get kids involved if they only show up in the community 2-3 days a year to collect the banquet proceeds and dues.

I don't mean to start an argument here, but this displays a profound lack of knowledge about how a local QF chapter operates. Far from "mailing it off to Washington", every penny of banquet proceeds stays with the local chapter to be spent on habitat projects in the community. None of it goes anywhere the local chapter doesn't want it to go. The national organization, which consistently earns high marks as one of the most transparent, efficiently-run non-profits out there, is run on membership dues only. Not one penny of what you spend at a local banquet, other than dues, goes to the national organization. As for your contention that PF/QF actively lobbies for Farm Bill programs detrimental to farmers, I have no idea what that means, but it is demonstrably false. PF/QF are key players in making sure Farm Bill reauthorization includes conservation programs that directly benefit both landowners and hunters. If you hunt CRP, if you take advantage of state walk-in programs, if you enjoy the fruits of habitat and research programs on public land, then you can thank, both indirectly through lobbying efforts, and directly through on-the-ground research and habitat projects, PF/QF for that. It amazes me that misinformed people feel the need to trash an organization whose sole mission is to perpetuate what we all love to do. And if you'd care to research it just a little, you'd find that PF/QF is very active in hunter recruitment/retention efforts. If you don't care to join an organization, fine, don't. But making patently false statements about an organization made up of thousands of people just like you is, in my mind, a bit misguided. 

Scar

With all due respect, come show me something my local chapter has done other than gather money.  I note you say "banquet proceeds" stay in the community.  They sell everybody a membership at the door.  That money goes to Washington.  In my opinion the banquet is primarily used by the organization to increase membership based upon the promise (unfulfilled in my community) of future habitat improvement projects.  They know the time proven complaints locals have had about conservation organizations and fashion this type of quick, feel-good response to offset that complaint.  It doesn't make it less true.  The simple fact is they take $$ from people here who have very little to give and do little or nothing (in boots on the ground real action) for those same people in return.

During the drought cattle were starving while uncut CRP stood across the county road because it couldn't be released until after the pheasant's had nested.  There is nothing that can take away the  angst surrounding the Government telling landowners (contractually) what they can/can't do with their land.  Again, despite the pretty language landowners in my community feel that PF has lobbied for restrictions on their land use that interfere with their ability to make a living.  I frankly am supportive of wildlife conservation and understand that without meaningful restrictions the farmers/ranchers will make an even greater mockery of that Federal program at great cost to our wildlife but I also don't blame the ranchers when they don't get all warm and fuzzy about a PF sticker on the dog trailer.   

The OP asked about what actions we've seen the organization undertake and I responded with my experience.  Despite being called a liar I stand by everything I've posted.  

HAMMER DOG

@Scar from what I have read, moreso lately, you can see QF habitat projects, if you can get access to the private lands they do them on. there has been quite the debate on an upland page I follow on Facebook regarding this subject.

mccuha

believe it or not where the bob was king here in SC I don't have a chapter near me. When QU was around there was one but I know for a fact that the only thing which wasn't to bad was that they gave me a bunch of seed to plant to help quail habitat on private. I found out and quit going for the very reason that the guys that were the local volunteers for QU were using there proceeds to create really nice dove fields that only they shot. I would be inclined to join in helping if I saw more effort on public ground and opening up more ground to the public here as well as westward like OK, TX,NM and the such. I do realize that more of the impact that they do along with PF is more in the mid west .  But you are correct that a lot of the benefits are on private that the average Joe will never have a chance to utilize.

dogrunner
11 hours ago, Scar said:

Well no that is not how there organization operates. It looks like there are 16 QF chapters in and around your state. Like Prairierat said only  $35 goes to QF National for the membership.  Then whatever money they have left they can use as they like in there Chapter area. Or they can give some to QF and tell them where they would like it spent. Like the Legislative Action Fund which would be used to send Representatives to Washington to push for more and better Crp and Farm Bill stuff. As far as the drought and cattle starving, well the farmer if he has CRP he signed a Contract with restrictions and also is getting Money for whatever amount of acres he put in the program.  For drought conditions I think they can graze or hay half of it at some point. I have been with our PF Chapter for 23 years and am one of the few originals left. From what you are writing it sounds like you were never involved. I have heard many complaints like you and am not surprised. We have a Banquet of 400-500 people every year and ask them if they want to come to a meeting and get involved. Guess what none of them show up. It’s not a big deal but if you don’t get involved don’t question what they do either. Some chapters do a lot some don’t but the money gets spent somewhere and there are many other ways it can be spent than just seeing habitat on the ground. I’m sure they are doing some kind of projects somewhere but it don’t get publicized. If you really want to know sign up for a year go to meetings and find out, get involved you might like it,  if you don’t approve then drop out. I’m not calling you a liar but you are really Misinformed on how they operate.  If the people were poor they wouldn’t be spending $60-70 for a dinner ticket and have money in there pocket for other things at the banquet, no one is making show up. When nobody comes if there unhappy the Chapter will close, I have seen it with a couple of PF chapters but for other reasons.