• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
LabHunter

Quail Forever Effectiveness?

LabHunter

Thanks for all the comments.  Pretty much all the comments seem to reinforce the idea that it's an uphill battle to be effective raising enough money to build habitat that translates into more coveys.  However, I can see a place for qf members to speak up and positively affect policy, which may be one of the biggest ways to have an impact.  I'll keep an ear out for those opportunities...

dogrunner

Well whatever you chose there are other ways to make a difference. I talked with Dave Nomsen on Saturday and him and a few others are headed to Washington this week to have there first meeting with the new Administration, to start there work on a new Farmbill.  He hopes it goes better than the last time. There are many things included in the bill much more than just Crp but there hoping to get added acres this time around. 

1A069759-D445-4DDF-AD52-953200013F3B.jpeg

Huntschool

I am not going to hold my breath on their "chit chat" as it regards quail in those discussions nor intent.  Again, lets face it, though it pains me to say it, the Chinese import is THE number one game bird in the US.  Who do you think will get the most lip service from PF. This is once again a "Money Talks" situation.  I do not have figures in hand to support this statement but....  The question is, what are the dollars taken  in by PF as compared to the dollars taken in by QF.  I suspect most here have a pretty good idea of which one of the two "in house" organizations generates more bucks........

Is anyone here cognizant of the fact the Bob White was, until a very few years ago, an indicator species for upland habitat according to USFW. at designation was/is a pretty big deal as it relates to the health of our habitat.  It was not replaced by the Chinese guy nor the grouse but by the American Blue Bird...... so, what can this organization do about something like that.  I seriously doubt that their biologists even know this fact.  I say that after being in meetings with some of them over the years and hearing their pre-millennial  answers to habitat management and development.

Long gone are the Stoddards, Nells, Kozickey's, Rosene's, Klemstra's, Roseberry's, EDIT: Ralph Dimmick last of Univ TN extension, lab, Gary Doster and Edwin Komerak Sr. of Tall Timbers, and not to forget Brad Mueller and Clay Sisson of Tall Timbers.  et al.  Last I heard Brad was consulting and Clay was with the Auburn Study Group.  Fred Guthery and Fidel are some of the last left of the real working biologists remaining.  And soon they will move along.

Folks, not to ring the out bell but we are in trouble and talks about a farm bill from an organization that, in my mind, is not 100% on our side with quail are not going to get us any sweat equity in this battle.......

Just an old field biologists ranting.......  please don't shoot the messenger........  or perhaps you should to put me out of my misery.

LabHunter

Ndi32, any thoughts on what we could do better here in the east?  We're fortunate to have some hard working folks supporting bobwhite quail in our dnr, so there are definitely some folks doing what they can (which focuses heavily on habitat work).

NECarson
On 1/12/2018 at 9:46 AM, Scar said:

With all due respect, come show me something my local chapter has done other than gather money.  I note you say "banquet proceeds" stay in the community.  They sell everybody a membership at the door.  That money goes to Washington.  In my opinion the banquet is primarily used by the organization to increase membership based upon the promise (unfulfilled in my community) of future habitat improvement projects.  They know the time proven complaints locals have had about conservation organizations and fashion this type of quick, feel-good response to offset that complaint.  It doesn't make it less true.  The simple fact is they take $$ from people here who have very little to give and do little or nothing (in boots on the ground real action) for those same people in return.

During the drought cattle were starving while uncut CRP stood across the county road because it couldn't be released until after the pheasant's had nested.  There is nothing that can take away the  angst surrounding the Government telling landowners (contractually) what they can/can't do with their land.  Again, despite the pretty language landowners in my community feel that PF has lobbied for restrictions on their land use that interfere with their ability to make a living.  I frankly am supportive of wildlife conservation and understand that without meaningful restrictions the farmers/ranchers will make an even greater mockery of that Federal program at great cost to our wildlife but I also don't blame the ranchers when they don't get all warm and fuzzy about a PF sticker on the dog trailer.   

The OP asked about what actions we've seen the organization undertake and I responded with my experience.  Despite being called a liar I stand by everything I've posted.  

Far more money is raised at a banquet from the raffles, games, and auctions than the memberships.

In your area?

Equipment has been purchased and donated to the state.

Research and cleanup projects have been provided man and dog power.

Fences have been tagged for prairie chicken areas.

No one held a gun to any one's head to sign a CRP contract. That argument doesn't hold water.

NECarson
On 1/12/2018 at 10:14 AM, HAMMER DOG said:

@Scar from what I have read, moreso lately, you can see QF habitat projects, if you can get access to the private lands they do them on. there has been quite the debate on an upland page I follow on Facebook regarding this subject.

In his area they have done a number on public lands.

NECarson

If you are simply wanting to shoot more quail, you will never see QF as a success.

A chapter will never have the money to buy enough land, or manpower to do enough work to make the habitat.

But as an organization, the model works. I'm a member and have worked with them a little bit. I only have so much time and money, so the bulk goes elsewhere.

QF gives you a voice in your local chapter. If you want hands on work, find a project, and take it to a meeting. If you want something else, figure out what that is, and take it to a meeting. Don't just complain that you don't like what they are doing. If you want them to make a bigger impact, help them make a bigger impact.

And don't complain that work that you aren't doing isn't being done by others. An organization like QF is what it's members make it.

LabHunter
2 hours ago, NECarson said:

If you are simply wanting to shoot more quail, you will never see QF as a success.

Well that's a tough sell to a bunch of bird hunters...

HAMMER DOG
4 hours ago, NECarson said:

In his area they have done a number on public lands.

Interesting you say that, looking through the list of projects I see a bunch in Honobia, Three Rivers, Grady county, SW quadrant including Hackberry but only one dedicated for the NW quadrant, outside some fence removal on Packsaddle that really baffles me, a burn system, which I know was already on Beaver WMA on the NW end by the rangers station, I have spent A BUNCH of time on Beaver over the years, the Rangers know my truck(s) I have spent so much time LOL. Out of 75G of work barely 10G has been spent,14G if you count Packsaddle, on the best area(s) with the most public lands in the state. 15-18% of the money spent in the primest, most available areas, largest areas is not exactly what I consider great spending habits, even worse when you consider places like Grady county, the SW quadrant have very little public use lands by comparison to the NW which also gets by far the most pressure in the state by a long shot. Looking I can see 30G that would have been better purposed to areas with large, contiguous and publically available areas with good habitat already.

Oh yeah far as the killing of birds go, that is my LAST concern as anyone on this board who has known me for the past decade can attest to, though I know for some they would shoot a whole covey down without a care.

Randy S

if i were involved in a western NE/KS QF chapter, I would encourage the purchase of private pivot corners from willing sellers. Quail don't require the large blocks of land that benefit pheasants. Up until the past few years most pivot corners were set aside from production but it seems more and more farmers are trying to pull a round bale or bushel of wheat off what was once decent wildlife habitat. Those corners are close enough together to provide escape from one corner to the next and with some pockets of brush for winter cover I believe they could maintain long term coveys. If someone doesn't try to save these corners soon, they'll be as barren of wildlife as the center pivot itself.    

NECarson
4 hours ago, HAMMER DOG said:

Interesting you say that, looking through the list of projects I see a bunch in Honobia, Three Rivers, Grady county, SW quadrant including Hackberry but only one dedicated for the NW quadrant, outside some fence removal on Packsaddle that really baffles me, a burn system, which I know was already on Beaver WMA on the NW end by the rangers station, I have spent A BUNCH of time on Beaver over the years, the Rangers know my truck(s) I have spent so much time LOL. Out of 75G of work barely 10G has been spent,14G if you count Packsaddle, on the best area(s) with the most public lands in the state. 15-18% of the money spent in the primest, most available areas, largest areas is not exactly what I consider great spending habits, even worse when you consider places like Grady county, the SW quadrant have very little public use lands by comparison to the NW which also gets by far the most pressure in the state by a long shot. Looking I can see 30G that would have been better purposed to areas with large, contiguous and publically available areas with good habitat already.

Oh yeah far as the killing of birds go, that is my LAST concern as anyone on this board who has known me for the past decade can attest to, though I know for some they would shoot a whole covey down without a care.

There have been a number of projects done by the 89ers on Beaver the past several years. 

I didn't help with them, but I remember the invites. 

NECarson
5 hours ago, LabHunter said:

Well that's a tough sell to a bunch of bird hunters...

Maybe. 

juneboy1

The way I see it is really simple. Every acre of habitat that is created is an acre of habitat that wasn't there before a conservation organization helped put it in. If you are not happy with how a group spends its capital, join that group and bitch like hell. It is the only way it will change. There is no silver bullet in this game, you just have to chip away and enjoy the small victories. One thing about it, if you don't have these organizations then you don't have that occasional acre and victory. Take this from someone who continually fights against larger numbers and odds.