Jump to content
FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
LabHunter

Quail Forever Effectiveness?

Recommended Posts

dogrunner
9 hours ago, Scar said:

I've yet to see one bit of activity on the Beaver River WMA or any other location in the panhandle that is directly attributable to QF.  I did hear some talk about contributing to the purchase of a drill for planting food plots on the WMA for the ODWC but I don't know if that came to fruition.  I, personally, am unaware of any contribution to quail habitat in an area that provides 20k+ acres of public hunting most of which is ideal bobwhite habitat.

 

Add that to the fact that people in my community are poor.  Really poor.  Even taking a little bit from these people without recognizable return is cause for me to be suspicious.  I'm not a fan.

QF don't take money from the poor like you have wrote twice. If they are poor they should not attend functions that they have no funds for no matter what the cause is, but they probably still buy cigs, pop and booze, lottery that don't benefit them either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Chukarman
22 hours ago, Scar said:

I've yet to see one bit of activity on the Beaver River WMA or any other location in the panhandle that is directly attributable to QF.  ...I, personally, am unaware of any contribution to quail habitat in an area that provides 20k+ acres of public hunting most of which is ideal bobwhite habitat.

 

Add that to the fact that people in my community are poor.  Really poor.  Even taking a little bit from these people without recognizable return is cause for me to be suspicious.  I'm not a fan.

 

Scar -- if there is 20,000 acres of "ideal bobwhite habitat" what is the need for 'improvement'? The money would be best spent trying to leverage other areas to the next level?

 

Have plenty of sympathy for poor people, but I do not feel compelled to provide quail for them to shoot. Like it r not, bird hunting in the USA is becoming - more and more - a sport for those with the means to enjoy it. There are, of course, exceptions. The amounts of public land available in the western US can provide hunting that is still relatively cheap -- you just need to pay in sweat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randy S

I'm not a believer in any organization run by committee, but if it wasn't for PF and DU Iowa pheasant hunting would be much worse than the mediocre hunting it is today. Most of the public I hunt was purchased at least in part by those two organizations. I shoot more birds on DU marsh/upland than anywhere else. I sure can't see QF doing any harm.  

 

I know guys with big running pointers want sections of bobwhite habitat but the reality is wide fence rows and protected waste land in NE. KS,  IA and MO would provide more coveys per cover acre, than expansive fields. It can't be that difficult to convince corporate landowners to sell off corners that they can't farm. Can it?   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
watermen

 

On 1/18/2018 at 7:28 PM, Randy S said:

I'm not a believer in any organization run by committee, but if it wasn't for PF and DU Iowa pheasant hunting would be much worse than the mediocre hunting it is today. Most of the public I hunt was purchased at least in part by those two organizations. I shoot more birds on DU marsh/upland than anywhere else. I sure can't see QF doing any harm.  

 

I know guys with big running pointers want sections of bobwhite habitat but the reality is wide fence rows and protected waste land in NE. KS,  IA and MO would provide more coveys per cover acre, than expansive fields. It can't be that difficult to convince corporate landowners to sell off corners that they can't farm. Can it?   

Go to your state meeting, there is a new program that uses software to remove corners and probably old wetlands in bigger fields and move them to grass.  Input costs have gotten so large per acre that using this software they can show areas of fields that fail to produce a profit due to dry or wet conditions.  This is a similar situation to crep.  This will be part of the farm bill and is a win win for habitat and farming economics.  This program was started by a kid in NW MO and SW IA.  QF and PF pay for many of the state level biologists that write these program contracts for farmers. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LabHunter

Thank you all for your comments!  I originally posted this topic to help gain an understanding of some of the benefits and drawbacks of forming a QF chapter.  I've decided to take the plunge and we are (re)starting a QF chapter in Maryland.  We had tried to start a chapter back when QF first came out, but there were not hardly any members in Maryland at that time and it never really got off the ground.  Our state now has over 350 members, so I think we are in good shape to get things moving.  I've discussed strategy a bit with the QF representatives and also a friend in the DNR and I think we can help make a difference.  The QF rep suggested that money we raise could be matched at up to 10:1 with federal/state money.  I think there is also opportunity in this state to work with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.  Creating quail cover essentially creates filters at the edges of the fields and helps improve water quality and minimize erosion, both are things that would help contribute to a healthier bay. 

 

Thanks again for the discussion & wish us luck

 

Trevor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NECarson
On 1/17/2018 at 8:16 PM, Scar said:

I've yet to see one bit of activity on the Beaver River WMA or any other location in the panhandle that is directly attributable to QF.  I did hear some talk about contributing to the purchase of a drill for planting food plots on the WMA for the ODWC but I don't know if that came to fruition.  I, personally, am unaware of any contribution to quail habitat in an area that provides 20k+ acres of public hunting most of which is ideal bobwhite habitat.

 

Add that to the fact that people in my community are poor.  Really poor.  Even taking a little bit from these people without recognizable return is cause for me to be suspicious.  I'm not a fan.

You may not see it. But it has been done. 

 

That's a fact, it's not up for debate, or a matter of opinion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NECarson
2 hours ago, LabHunter said:

Thank you all for your comments!  I originally posted this topic to help gain an understanding of some of the benefits and drawbacks of forming a QF chapter.  I've decided to take the plunge and we are (re)starting a QF chapter in Maryland.  We had tried to start a chapter back when QF first came out, but there were not hardly any members in Maryland at that time and it never really got off the ground.  Our state now has over 350 members, so I think we are in good shape to get things moving.  I've discussed strategy a bit with the QF representatives and also a friend in the DNR and I think we can help make a difference.  The QF rep suggested that money we raise could be matched at up to 10:1 with federal/state money.  I think there is also opportunity in this state to work with the Chesapeake Bay Foundation.  Creating quail cover essentially creates filters at the edges of the fields and helps improve water quality and minimize erosion, both are things that would help contribute to a healthier bay. 

 

Thanks again for the discussion & wish us luck

 

Trevor

I do wish you the best man! 

 

QF can't turn everything around. 

 

But doing something is better than doing nothing, and any small success is still success. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LabHunter
7 hours ago, NECarson said:

I do wish you the best man! 

 

QF can't turn everything around. 

 

But doing something is better than doing nothing, and any small success is still success. 

 

Thanks!  If it works out well, and we have tons of birds, I probably won't say anything...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
NECarson
1 hour ago, LabHunter said:

 

Thanks!  If it works out well, and we have tons of birds, I probably won't say anything...

What's a bird? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
watermen

pheasantsforever.org/precision

On 1/18/2018 at 7:28 PM, Randy S said:

I'm not a believer in any organization run by committee, but if it wasn't for PF and DU Iowa pheasant hunting would be much worse than the mediocre hunting it is today. Most of the public I hunt was purchased at least in part by those two organizations. I shoot more birds on DU marsh/upland than anywhere else. I sure can't see QF doing any harm.  

 

I know guys with big running pointers want sections of bobwhite habitat but the reality is wide fence rows and protected waste land in NE. KS,  IA and MO would provide more coveys per cover acre, than expansive fields. It can't be that difficult to convince corporate landowners to sell off corners that they can't farm. Can it?   

The link at the top is a short clip that expands on your Idea.  Swing over and see it in person, really a common sense solution to several problems. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Randy S
14 hours ago, watermen said:

The link at the top is a short clip that expands on your Idea.  Swing over and see it in person, really a common sense solution to several problems. 

 

Thanks! I'll see if I can make it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry

No doubt they could make a positive impact on private ground. However on public ground, Quail couldn't stand the heavy pressure success would bring and continue to increase in numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kansas Big Dog

There are 2 QF chapters and a PF chapter within 30 miles of my home. Since I moved here 5 years ago almost all of the CRP is now being farmed. Why? I have previously been a member. There are 2 PF biologists in the area and all they seem to be concerned with are pollinators, not quail or pheasants. Most of the members are farmers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kansas Big Dog

If QF and PF wanted to  lobby Washington, they need to get the EPA to rescind the Obama administration changes to the clean water act which greatly increases what drainages are covered. Here where I live excavators and bulldozers are everywhere  cleaning out everything before it takes effect. A lot of good quail habitat is going away and probably won't be coming back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kansas Big Dog

This is a picture of a Section (600 acres) of CRP that was in WIHA. I went by there the last week of the season and the excavators and bulldozers had already cleared off half of the section. Clearly it will be farmed next year. I have killed both pheasants and quail there. So why donate when you don't see anything being done. And this is actually poor Flint Hills ground. 20170328_093739_resized.thumb.jpg.4610f8dc9bf5af6024bce20fb8eef139.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Please sign in to comment

You will be able to leave a comment after signing in



Sign In Now

×