LabHunter

Quail Forever Effectiveness?

Kansas Big Dog
20 hours ago, quailguy said:

Not AGAINST big ag; if not in agreement with them then pick some quick win items that would not be opposed by big ag. CRP is one thing everyone but the green eyeshade guys likes. 

But Congress has cut the CRP reimbursement rate per acre almost in half; its not enough money to matter to most landowners. Just fixing that would aide both camps. I believe the scoring template was also changed to favor stream bed buffers. Those buffers are, natch, long and rather narrow. Long narrow covers are much easier for ground predators to search and result in fewer successful nests that large blocks of cover.

Increasing funding for the Open Fields program may be a pipe dream, but would provide more WIHA type funds for walk in hunting. I know Kansas got a big chunk of change in that program. Even Texas got some $$ which I think they spend on the TPWD dove leases which are a reasonably good thing and is the main way Texas has of increasing upland game hunter numbers.

Heard a story yesterday that CRP rates in some counties in MO is higher than the cash rental rates. I  have heard similar stories about some counties in KS. Almost all the 24 million acres allocated for CRP are filled. First time they said. The story was by harvest public media on NPR.

oak stob

The Kentucky Bobwhite Battalion has a solid reputation.

Game organizations have a tough go.

With other than the old QU and the NWTF....I try and give them the benefit of the $, even to RGS’s wavering and insincere focus outside the sweet spots for ruffed grouse.

quailguy
6 hours ago, Kansas Big Dog said:

Heard a story yesterday that CRP rates in some counties in MO is higher than the cash rental rates. I  have heard similar stories about some counties in KS. Almost all the 24 million acres allocated for CRP are filled. First time they said. The story was by harvest public media on NPR.

During the 2016 fiscal year, payments for CRP lands totaled $1.7 billion dollars and were at the highest level since the 2007 fiscal year. The average CRP rental rate was $72.61 per acre, up 9 percent from the 2015 fiscal year. By comparison, USDA’s Land Values and Cash Rentssurvey revealed the average cash rental rate for cropland in 2016 was down 6 percent from 2015 at $136 per acre. It is on the back of increasing CRP rental rates that outlays have increased, despite a reduction in enrolled acreage.

Most the CRP acreage is in the Upper Midwest and Southwest; however, CRP rental rates are higher in the Corn Belt. The net effect is that total CRP outlays are concentrated in the Southwest and Western Corn Belt. Figures 2 through 4 highlights the county-level distribution of CRP acreage, payments and rental rates. 

Some nice maps/charts in here: 

https://www.fb.org/market-intel/change-on-the-horizon-for-the-conservation-reserve-program

spring

Our local chapter here in SW Georgia, in addition to supporting quail research at Tall Timbers, will this year begin funding a new quail management consultant to help private landowners best manage their properties for quail.  Local money staying home to help our local needs. 

Pomoxis

For me it begs the question, what can we realistically expect from any of the organizations? With costs for land, materials, equipment, and labor so high, it is very difficult to see the needle move in any proposal. Added to this is the competition for matching public funds by multiple sporting organizarions all for a shrinking hunting population. It seems overwhelming to me. I do believe that all of the organizations have the best of intention. I guess that we all can hope for a miracle but don't depend on one.

RMH

The closest I've been to Bobwhite country was central Pennsylvania, so I have no experience specifically. Organizations like them, RGS, DU, etc., I think do some good, and should be supported. As long as trying to be helpful remains the only reason for being. That they do not become self perpetuating organizations that are run as little kingdoms by the upper management of the group for their own benefit. We are walking upstream it seems. If we don't lean into the current it'll all get swept away. " A good plan now is better than a great plan latter". I think Omar Bradley is credited with saying that during the invasion of Italy.

spring

SW Georgia Quail Forever makes an impact

Yesterday from the Georgia Wildlife Resources Division of the Georgia DNR:

“Thank you, Southwest Georgia Chapter of Quail Forever, for your $40,000 donation to help enhance habitat management on 4 southwest Georgia WMAs. Their donation will also fund biologists providing technical assistance to private landowners who want to enhance habitat for quail and other wildlife on their property. 

Learn more about Georgia's bobwhite quail initiative and how you can help here: http://georgiawildlife.com/bobwhite-quail

#quailforever #quail #bobwhite #GoHuntGeorgia #habitat #enhancement #restoration #donation #thankyou #quailhunting #albany #southwestgeorgia #georgia #georgiawildlife”