• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
Tim Frazier

870 20ga

Tim Frazier

I have owned a couple hundred shotguns over the last 41 years.  Often buying and selling, buying repairing then selling and so forth.  Never high grade stuff, couple dozen American SxSs, Sterlingworths/NIDs and such, similar number of overseas field grade guns, Simsons, Beretta's, some Spanish stuff.  A few have been nice and a few I regret letting go.

Problem is I grew up with farmers and I grew up with pumps.  I still have a variety of nicer guns but I've enjoyed making what I think is the ultimate utility 20g pump.  It started as a 1990 Remington Express 20ga with a 25.5" Remchoke barrel.  I removed the rib, switched out stocks, added an over sized safety and took out what wood was needed to balance at the end of the loading gate.  It went from 6lbs 11oz to 6lbs 3oz and swings like my much nicer guns.  I can shoot non-tox, heavy turkey loads, anything really.  $275 total investment. 

Not most peoples cup of tea but I'm enjoying it!

20.jpeg

201.jpg

Bloodhound

Looks like darn near the perfect upland gun.  I love the look and feel of a fine SxS or O/U, but my pump model 12s and my semi model 50s suit me...and lower price means more trips to hunt.

Congrats on the 870...it is a beauty!

Kurt

I have 3 870s, one 12ga Wingmaster, a new 20ga Wingmaster and a 20ga 870 Light Weight Magnum. I call them my "poor man's Perazzis" cause they are reliable, they last and if they fail are quick inexpensive fixes. I like yours very much. Is that the 25.5" barrel and what does it take to remove the rib?  Thanks for sharing!

Jack L

That's very neat and looks like a great hunting gun.

I shoot all the types of shotguns; SxS, O/U and SA, but my favorite is probably my BPS 20 ga , fixed choke M.  Ever reliable and just fun to shoot.

ED8E4082-1746-4139-9B93-16673DEEE799.jpeg

Dongotto

Very cool Tim. I have a old 20ga 870 lightweight plain barrel IC with mahogany stocks. I cut it down for a youth gun and its under 6lbs. Makes a great gun.

lee sykes

Sweet gun.  I  bought my stepson a nice, ribless 16 gauge 870 made in 1954 on Auction Arms about 15 years ago.  Part of the reason was it had a really  nice stick of American Black for a buttstock, matched to a plain corncob forend.    He shot his first grouse with it.   Not being the sentimental type, He wanted a 12 instead.  I thought it a shame. The gun handled like my 20 gauge model 12 and weighed an ounce less.  He got the 12 but that 16 haunted me. Then, about three yeas ago, it showed up on the cheap rack of our local hardware store where I traded it for the 12.   I bought it for little more than I paid for it the first time.   I enjoy having it around and may give it to one of his sons when they are older. 

Marc Ret

I have only one 870 but it's special to me. It's a 20ga 870 LW Magnum that my father and I visited for almost a year prior to him buying it. The year was 1988. I was 15, my father was 53. For some reason my father was so enamored with this gun that we would visit it monthly at the gun shop (Shelley's Sporting Goods if "Cold Iron" is reading this). December 31 comes and my father decides it's time for it to come home. Several times a year until he's 70 the gun is pulled from it's factory box, admired, cleaned and then placed back in the box. On my father's 70th birthday he gifted the 870 and a Remington 12C .22 to me. He passed away unexpectedly a couple years later. 

It hasn't remained unfired but it hasn't been abused either.  It has only been used for occasional clays and dove. I think he'd be okay with that. 

image.jpeg

Don Steese

If one had all the birds that have met their demise as the result of an 870, one would have a heck of a big pile of birds!!  I'd call that 20 ga a very nice gun at a nearly giveaway price!!

BlacknTan

Nice 870!

I have a friend that loves them!! Personally, I'm not an accomplished enough shotgunner to use a pump effectively, so I have none in my safe. But, I will say, of all the guys I've seen shoot targets, I remember one, and only one, gent who could shuck a pump like it was an extension of his arm...  He was just a phenomenal all around shooter, so, my hat is off to anyone that can use a pumpgun effectively!

jeff88

Some very nice pump 20's above.

Bought an 870 Y for my son when he was 12, it was a great 1st gun.  Once he became used to shooting it and had safety instruction, let him load more than one shell on the range.  His guns today are Browning Golds in 12 & 20 with the exact same safety placement as his old 870 - made the transition nice and smooth for him.  

Saw an 870 in 12 ga with an extra slug barrel in the package - seems like a good back-up gun and a boar slayer to boot.  (Still looking for a reasonable buy on a slug barrel for my 11-87 SP in 12 ga.)

WPG Gizmo

Every gun safe should have at least 1 870 in it I know mine does it is my go to Turkey gun in 20 Ga.

T-Bone

Tim, where did you get the replacement wood for your 870?...Nice redo. 

Dave in Maine

Still kicking myself over not buying an Ithaca 37 in 20 a few years ago.  The price was good, the gun a vintage model in good shape, light and lithe.  By the time I got back to the store, it was gone.

Tim Frazier
1 hour ago, T-Bone said:

Tim, where did you get the replacement wood for your 870?...Nice redo. 

I keep an eye out and have tried a couple as even on what is a modern gun every stock seems slightly different.  This and a few others came from Numerichs (Gun Parts Corp)  They are very easy to work with and easy to return parts to if they don't work.   Stock was $73 with shipping and forend $46.   I paid $199 for the gun and will be able to get $50 out of the stock and forend that came on it.

3 hours ago, Kurt said:

I have 3 870s, one 12ga Wingmaster, a new 20ga Wingmaster and a 20ga 870 Light Weight Magnum. I call them my "poor man's Perazzis" cause they are reliable, they last and if they fail are quick inexpensive fixes. I like yours very much. Is that the 25.5" barrel and what does it take to remove the rib?  Thanks for sharing!

Yep, this is the 25.5" barrel, thinking of doing a 28" (27.5") barrel one day but I like the way it feels with the shorter barrel.  To take the rib off I first I cut the front about an inch back to use that as a base for the sight.  I will file it down some and gently hammer it flat with the barrel.  Then the next post can be secured in a vise and a  quick sideways pop will release the solder, then just one at a time down the barrel.  I file the solder down and refinish the barrel.  The removed rib is just over 4oz (1/4lb)

JWP58

Love it