• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
Tim Frazier

870 20ga

Kemo Sabe

Tim, 

This is a picture of a painting of my Waterfowl Wingmaster 870. It’s a parts gun that I assembled a few years back. It has a 28 inch barrel that started out as fixed choke that I had Briley chokes installed in. The inside metal parts  of the gun have a P3 coating, the outside metal a Robar finish. These coatings prevent any corrosive damage to the gun. The wood has been coated with a hard black plastic finish that is water and nick proof. I’ve also had custom stainless steel parts made for a number of the internals. I added a forend weight to smooth out my swing. And the recoil pad is in place with gamets and stainless steel machine screws. 

I don’t have the gun home with me right now, as it’s in my safe over at the duck club. Instead, l took a picture of a  painting I had done of it after shooting all three of the teal species on opening day 2 seasons ago.

6B1E39B2-C5FC-4D33-AFF2-0AB6B003DD61.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

Here’s a limit of ducks I shot with it last Saturday..

9E607187-90E0-4178-AAFE-8705BD3AD787.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

My friend and I shot these this morning, and I used my above 870.

28C73501-4C4A-49BC-ADBA-F080B7BF20D2.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

Here’s my light weight 20 gauge 870. I’ve owned it for 25 or 30 years, and before I built my Waterfowl 870, it did see some duck action. Mainly an Upland gun, I have used it on preserve pheasants and  chukar,  doves, crows, and barn pigeons. 

A gun I’ll never part with, like all 6 of my 870s.

A0785139-83C7-4883-BFA1-9859A2A27542.jpeg

kgb

The M12 is my favorite, and I picked up an Ithaca 37 (1951) in 20ga that is a keeper, but the only 870 I owned was a 20ga Magnum that just didn't fit. The view was of just the back of the receiver, too much drop for me apparently.  I have been trying to convince myself I need a 28ga and believe it will be an 870. Older versions of that gun in 16ga seem to fit well, if I can try out a 28 and it's a fit I believe I'll buy. 

Auto-5

You won’t get any nays from me. At heart I’m a pump gun guy myself. 

PIOBill

When I was 14 my dad bought me a 12 Wingmaster. As a young man I found a 20 ga Wingmaster he bought for himself that I inherited. A couple of years ago I bought a 16ga Wingmaster. These 3 are all vintage 1959 through 1962 plain 28" barrel modified guns. If I had to get rid of the rest I would be OK. I also have a couple more pumps but these are the ones I feel most comfortable with and shoot the best. Recently I picked up another 12 Ga Wingmaster (1954) that had the barrel sawed off. As it turned out it was 1/8" shorter than legal. With the 870 I just pulled it off and replaced it with an extra barrel I had picked up. I went from an illegal gun to a legal one in 1 minute. The other shotguns in the safe would be hard pressed to convert that quick. I have run across extra barrels from time to time so I can go from mod to full to a slug barrel without a hitch.