FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
Tim Frazier

870 20ga

Kemo Sabe

Tim, 

This is a picture of a painting of my Waterfowl Wingmaster 870. It’s a parts gun that I assembled a few years back. It has a 28 inch barrel that started out as fixed choke that I had Briley chokes installed in. The inside metal parts  of the gun have a P3 coating, the outside metal a Robar finish. These coatings prevent any corrosive damage to the gun. The wood has been coated with a hard black plastic finish that is water and nick proof. I’ve also had custom stainless steel parts made for a number of the internals. I added a forend weight to smooth out my swing. And the recoil pad is in place with gamets and stainless steel machine screws. 

I don’t have the gun home with me right now, as it’s in my safe over at the duck club. Instead, l took a picture of a  painting I had done of it after shooting all three of the teal species on opening day 2 seasons ago.

6B1E39B2-C5FC-4D33-AFF2-0AB6B003DD61.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

Here’s a limit of ducks I shot with it last Saturday..

9E607187-90E0-4178-AAFE-8705BD3AD787.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

My friend and I shot these this morning, and I used my above 870.

28C73501-4C4A-49BC-ADBA-F080B7BF20D2.jpeg

Kemo Sabe

Here’s my light weight 20 gauge 870. I’ve owned it for 25 or 30 years, and before I built my Waterfowl 870, it did see some duck action. Mainly an Upland gun, I have used it on preserve pheasants and  chukar,  doves, crows, and barn pigeons. 

A gun I’ll never part with, like all 6 of my 870s.

A0785139-83C7-4883-BFA1-9859A2A27542.jpeg

kgb

The M12 is my favorite, and I picked up an Ithaca 37 (1951) in 20ga that is a keeper, but the only 870 I owned was a 20ga Magnum that just didn't fit. The view was of just the back of the receiver, too much drop for me apparently.  I have been trying to convince myself I need a 28ga and believe it will be an 870. Older versions of that gun in 16ga seem to fit well, if I can try out a 28 and it's a fit I believe I'll buy. 

Auto-5

You won’t get any nays from me. At heart I’m a pump gun guy myself. 

PIOBill

When I was 14 my dad bought me a 12 Wingmaster. As a young man I found a 20 ga Wingmaster he bought for himself that I inherited. A couple of years ago I bought a 16ga Wingmaster. These 3 are all vintage 1959 through 1962 plain 28" barrel modified guns. If I had to get rid of the rest I would be OK. I also have a couple more pumps but these are the ones I feel most comfortable with and shoot the best. Recently I picked up another 12 Ga Wingmaster (1954) that had the barrel sawed off. As it turned out it was 1/8" shorter than legal. With the 870 I just pulled it off and replaced it with an extra barrel I had picked up. I went from an illegal gun to a legal one in 1 minute. The other shotguns in the safe would be hard pressed to convert that quick. I have run across extra barrels from time to time so I can go from mod to full to a slug barrel without a hitch.