• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE add more info than just  "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering it is not bullet proof, so Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a warm blooded human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Thank you.
RookieEP

RIO ammo

RookieEP

Lotta ammo talk.  Any fans of RIO.  They are usually cheaper than Fed Win and Remington.  Mainly looking for opinions on their hunting ammo as clays will shoot the cheapest if not reloading

Dave Medema

Dirty.  

dogrunner

Between me and my team we use to shoot a lot of Rio but not any more. Lots of FTF there quality seem poor reminded me of Fiocchi.  Here’s a shell I almost fired glad I open my gun because something caught my eye. If you are looking for hunting ammo I like Kent if you can find it.  

42231FBA-4375-4EAD-A9CF-5C44C1147D27.jpeg

phonefly

Shoot it all the time. Nary a problem.  For a 20 they are the only company that makes  #1BK.  

Tim Frazier

I love Rio shells and shoot them more than any other factory shell.  The 7/8s 20ga load was so comparable to the 3/4oz load I had been shooting for years that I stopped hand loading.  Felt recoil is significantly less than other manufacturers 7/8s loads.

Dongotto

I've shot 5 or 6 flats problem free.  12 ga stuff.

mccuha

I really like rio.  Steel works great at a great price. The lead shot I’ve shot is field loads.  Good value in my opinion. Dirty? Might be but that’s why they make cleaning rods and such.  

Greg Hartman

Never tried the hunting ammo, but I burn a decent amount of it for targets in 12 and 20.  Seems (?) a little softer shooting than the other cheapie target ammo brands.  Works as well for me as any of the cheapie ammo - which is to say, quite well.  Never had a FTF.  For all of those reasons, I'll always pick Rio over Estate, Herters, etc, when stocking up on cheapie ammo to use on targets in the automatics, if the price is close, which it usually is.

But then, I'm not a good enough shooter for the difference between cheap ammo and good stuff to show up in my scores.

Rio makes a 3/4 oz. 12 gauge target load that will function my big a400 Blue Gun flawlessly.  If you want to try a fun load, get a flat of those.  It's like shooting .22's out of the Blue Gun - you hardly know it went off - but the targets break to surprising distances.

Deuce

Only real experience is with their bismuth and I've been happy with it. 

Curt

Never used any of it myself because I'm still a reloader (dinosaur), but many guys I shoot with at our club use it.  I've never witnessed any problems or heard any complaints from them FWIW.

Skybuster

Rio's are the only shells my club sells, and we go through more targets than any other club in WI. I've not heard any complaints. I reload them once and done through my auto with Fiocchi or Rio primers depending on the season.

charlo slim
8 minutes ago, Skybuster said:

..........I reload them once and done through my auto with Fiocchi or Rio primers depending on the season.

Interesting. Wazzup with the primer switch by season?

i have only very minimal personal experience with Rio, but friends who shoot Rio steel seem happy with them.  

Larry Brown
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 4:18 AM, Greg Hartman said:

Never tried the hunting ammo, but I burn a decent amount of it for targets in 12 and 20.  Seems (?) a little softer shooting than the other cheapie target ammo brands.  Works as well for me as any of the cheapie ammo - which is to say, quite well.  Never had a FTF.  For all of those reasons, I'll always pick Rio over Estate, Herters, etc, when stocking up on cheapie ammo to use on targets in the automatics, if the price is close, which it usually is.

Agree with Greg on the target Rios.  I usually reload 7/8 oz 12ga, but when shooting sporting clays, I'll often have a box of 1 oz along for longer targets.  Rio has worked fine with me, and inexpensive for "shoot and pitch the hulls" use.  I haven't had any issue with Herters, but only buy them in 16ga--where nothing else comes close in price.  Especially if you catch them on sale.

Skybuster

Greetings Charlo,

The Rio primer is hotter and is now my "winter" choice. Fiocchi's are fine in warmer temps.

KerryLuft
On 1/10/2018 at 5:42 PM, dogrunner said:

Lots of FTF there quality seem poor reminded me of Fiocchi.  

I'm a fan of cheap ammo for practice, but I've never considered Fiocchi to be poor quality.  I've shot their "Shooting Dynamics" line even in tournaments and been pleased.

I used to shoot a bunch of Rio, going back to the days when they were imported from Spain (I believe that everything you buy in this country is now loaded in Texas).  There were a few hiccups back then, fewer in recent years.  They're not my preferred cheap load -- Clevers, Bornaghi and the aforementioned Fiocchis are better IMO -- but when I find a deal on Rios, I buy 'em without a second thought.