• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
RookieEP

RIO ammo

dogrunner
6 hours ago, KerryLuft said:

I'm a fan of cheap ammo for practice, but I've never considered Fiocchi to be poor quality.  I've shot their "Shooting Dynamics" line even in tournaments and been pleased.

I used to shoot a bunch of Rio, going back to the days when they were imported from Spain (I believe that everything you buy in this country is now loaded in Texas).  There were a few hiccups back then, fewer in recent years.  They're not my preferred cheap load -- Clevers, Bornaghi and the aforementioned Fiocchis are better IMO -- but when I find a deal on Rios, I buy 'em without a second thought.

The Fio I had a problem with was there Golden Pheasant I had to send back a flat which out of 2 different boxes had 5 FTF and 1 blooper where the wad got stuck in my dads barrel.  I have had good luck with Shooting Dynamics from Pat when he carried them, went through 15 flats with no issues. If I could get them easier I would buy Clevers all the time, I like there shells. I get them from the guy in Wisc when he comes here. After the trouble we have had with Rios they are usually on the bottom of my shell list. 

KerryLuft

Brownell's has Clever on sale now for about $55/flat and you usually can get a break on shipping.

Kemo Sabe
1 hour ago, dogrunner said:

The Fio I had a problem with was there Golden Pheasant I had to send back a flat which out of 2 different boxes had 5 FTF and 1 blooper where the wad got stuck in my dads barrel.  

Classic example of what happens when you get shells wet, and moisture gets to the powder.

Golden Pheasant is one of the best loads out there. Very high quality. 

Rick Hall
On 1/10/2018 at 4:33 PM, Dave Medema said:

Dirty.  

That's the only issue I've seen with them.  Like Federals and Estates, they're not a shell that's fun to shoot directly into a good wind.

dogrunner
21 minutes ago, Kemo Sabe said:

Classic example of what happens when you get shells wet, and moisture gets to the powder.

Golden Pheasant is one of the best loads out there. Very high quality. 

Maybe so but they were brand new so if they got wet it was on there end. 

dogrunner
1 hour ago, KerryLuft said:

Brownell's has Clever on sale now for about $55/flat and you usually can get a break on shipping.

Thanks Kerry I’ll check it out. 

Kemo Sabe
26 minutes ago, dogrunner said:

Maybe so but they were brand new so if they got wet it was on there end. 

I doubt it.

Most likely it’s the  retailer or user who caused the problem. Manufacturers watch what happens to their shells very closely while they still have them.

Scrappy

Both my son and I have shot a lot of their clay/dove loads and never had a single problem.  I reload the hulls once then chuck them.  They are actually one of my favorite hulls to reload.  I recently bought a couple cases of RIO steel loads, but haven't had a chance to try them out extensively (I am curious why the steel loads have an extra high brass?).

Grifish

Shot about 10 flats sporting clays and a flat of the game loads in 7.5 at practice for the dogs last year without issue. Cheap n good.

salmontogue
34 minutes ago, Grifish said:

Shot about 10 flats sporting clays and a flat of the game loads in 7.5 at practice for the dogs last year without issue. Cheap n good.

I have used Rio steel for waterfowl without incident.  Periodically they are on sale at some of the mail order sources.

Perk

dogrunner
3 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

I doubt it.

Most likely it’s the  retailer or user who caused the problem. Manufacturers watch what happens to their shells very closely while they still have them.

Well Gary after I sent them back and they replaced them, we both agreed that it was probably there error. No water damage was suspected. 

Kemo Sabe

What did they say their error was?

sxsneubaum

Don't like it at all.  Shot Rio at a hunt test and had two shells misfire, primer issues.  The shells were from two different boxes.  The other gunner had a couple issues as well.  The shells were from two different cases and different boxes. 

dogrunner
8 hours ago, Kemo Sabe said:

What did they say their error was?

Primers. 

Speedgoat44

I have a case of  Rio #5 steel I'm looking forward to shooting next year.  I decided to try them because they were about the most mild steel loads I could find in a field load - they're advertised at 1350fps in a 7/8 oz 2 3/4" 20 ga load.  I thought 5s might be ok for close shots over points on everything short of wild pheasant.