FRIENDLY REMINDER ABOUT HUNTING REPORTS/TOPICS... Read more... ×
fourtrax57

Passing on your firearms

quailguy
2 hours ago, fourtrax57 said:

Who would you select to inherit your firearms & how would you decide? What criteria would you use?

Going through this now. My son is not getting any shotguns; he doesn't hunt or shoot. He has expressed an interest in pistols. So far as I can find out (and I've tried) I'm the only one in my family to have hunted in many generations. No stories or photos or mentions of guns in wills; nada. I'm an outlier I guess.

Most of the grandsons and in laws grandsons shoot in the wife's family so they may get them.

GB Jack

I’d my wife is in great financial position, I’d like her to distribute them to friends of mine, depending on age, otherwise.  Sell them.

GB Jack
2 hours ago, gunsrus said:

I am waiting for a Son ln Law to arrive !:D

I’m waitibg for the invite 

terrym

Good question. I have thought of it. I made a will years ago and selected certain guns for certain people but they are likely all sold now. I have 2 daughters who have no interest and not old enough yet to be married. I would like them to go to someone who will appreciate them and not sell them. I can sell them myself but I figure what I have left when my time comes will be special stuff. 

crmartin

I have a son in law and grand son both big into waterfowl.  I want my guns to be used by someone that enjoy them.

salmontogue

I would consider leaving some to UJ to help keep it operating.

Perk

MDash2

I have plenty of hunting years ahead but can't deny I'm no longer a youngster. We don't have children. Passing guns to others is not an option. Those factors plus the reality upland hunting continues to decline the decision about the guns was clear. A few years ago I started selling my small but nice (at least to me) collection of double guns.  Those that were just collecting dust were easy decisions. A dozen guns went down to five and hopefully it will soon be four. I need to think about the next step but leaning towards going forward with only two guns. 

Fishnfowler

Funny thing. It took me a few years to figure out, but my kids would be with me or my wife and would say "dibs."  What they were referencing was who got what when we die.  Apparently, they had figured out the code to claim who got what by whether it was claimed at some point.  I would be moving some item with help from the kids and one would claim  "dibs" whereupon the others would congratulate them on their prescience.  I started buying guns for the kids about the time they got to be shooting age.  This particular group of items appears to be free from the dibs claim.  They immediately claimed possession of their guns and are freakishly weird about it.  For example, I have several light sub-gauge guns suitable for shooting quail, but my youngest will only take the shotgun I bought for him, regardless of the outing.  It doesn't matter if it is ducks, chukar, quail, or whatever, he will by-god carry and shoot his gun.  I don't know how they will determine who gets my guns when I die, but those guns I bought for them are already gone, along with most of my prized possessions.

TimJ

I don't have any kids and no wife. I expect my few guns might be wanted by a nephew or two. One of the guns is known by many around me to be a family heirloom. No doubt that one will be fought over.

Who knows what the future will bring, will it be a long future or short. I'm in sort of the mood that it won't be my problem. If it's difficult for them than I have done a good job.

I do know that there are a couple things I wish i had from one of my uncles who didn't plan ahead. So I guess I should put something in writing sooner rather than later. I should make sure the couple most important ones go where I think they should...then I can threaten people with being written out of the will. It might be fun.

Tim

bruski

What? you mean I might die sometime?

No one told me. Damn.

Greg Hartman

I don't really have anyone to leave them to.   I didn't think that would be the case, but at this late point in my life, it's likely that no one dedicated to the upland life (grandchild, mentee, etc) is going to suddenly appear out of the mists as a potential recipient. I've pretty much given up on that.  So, for lack of a better alternative, I guess they'll just be sold. 

With a few of the guns, that idea bothers me a bit.  Like the 16 gauge M12 I've owned and hunted since I was 12 - once I'm gone, it's just another worn field grade gun on the bargain rack.  Or the 20 gauge O/U that has killed thousands of birds all over the country over my beloved dogs during the best days of my life.  When I'm gone, I guess it's still a high grade gun that has some value, but no one will know or care that it killed Maggie's first prairie grouse miles from the nearest human. 

The cold, sad reality is that the guns are all just "stuff" - only meaningful to me.

My older daughter is my executor.  She knows the guys at my gun club, who I would trust with my life.  I've told her to contact them when I'm gone and to let them sell my guns for her.  They know about this, too.  I've seen too many estates where the executor is afraid of guns and wants them instantly gone or at least knows nothing about guns and the guns are just more or less dumped.  I don't want that to happen; and hopefully, it won't.

gunsrus

One of my best friends owns the local gun shop . His son is taking over the business and we are all very close . If no SIL , my daughter knows him well and will seek his advise . 

I too have seen executors , wives .........come into his shop with guns and drop them off and want nothing in return . They are scared they were in the home and all they want is to know they are lawfully out of their name . Understand this is "Massachusetts" , one of the  "gun law states" . Most times my friend can talk them into some financial return but there have been times there has been no interest .

dogrunner
9 minutes ago, gunsrus said:

One of my best friends owns the local gun shop . His son is taking over the business and we are all very close . If no SIL , my daughter knows him well and will seek his advise . 

I too have seen executors , wives .........come into his shop with guns and drop them off and want nothing in return . They are scared they were in the home and all they want is to know they are lawfully out of their name . Understand this is "Massachusetts" , one of the  "gun law states" . Most times my friend can talk them into some financial return but there have been times there has been no interest .

Nothing in return, that is dumb. 

GraceinVA

With the way I am on my guns, I don't think I could give them away! They will probably be scrapped for parts. My buddies certainly wouldn't take them

Brad Eden

I do have two kids, neither of who currently hunt. But the youngest may in the future. Neither my SIL or future SIL hunt so they are out of luck. Regardless, I will likely pass on my favorite Shotgun(s) and rifle(s) to my daughters, to do with what they please. (No grandkids yet, but things may be looking up in that arena, not sure though)  I also have nephews and nieces, mostly very young. I'm waiting to see if any of them have any interest in firearms and hunting. There are a couple good prospects that may receive some firearms. (My northwoods camp is also up for grabs. Unless my daughters show some serious interest, a niece or nephew will likely get it. It's been in the family since ut was built by my ancestors in the early forties, so It's gotta stay in the family.) If my wife outlives me she will always hold into her Uggie 28 gauge and a 20 gauge 870 shotgun since she Upland and turkey hunts with me. The balance of my Shotguns, rifles, muzzleloader and pistols will go to my her to sell or disperse.