• Announcements

• Brad Eden

TO THOSE REGISTERING FOR MEMBERSHIP ON UJ   01/06/2018

To the Guests who have decided to register for Membership. PLEASE read Terms of Service, not just checking it off. This is covered there: Add more info than just "hunting" or "Upland hunting" or "birds" or "outdoors" or similar nebulous terms in the required INTERESTS field. Despite this Boards strong spam filtering function, some Spam registrations do sneak through. I need an inkling that you are a human being not a Spam Bot tagging onto key words. Also please do not use a business name as your User Name. Thank you.
fourtrax57

Passing on your firearms

Dakota Dogman

Got 8 kids with twins on the way and so far all of them are interested so I'm out of the discussion as intended except a thought. 

A couple of days back there was a good thread about the "Characters" in our life... often old guys who got us started.  Most of them old guys have passed on.  Fact is I look a lot like a lot of them now. Several have eluded to it, but straight out, if you haven't got someone yet,  I wonder who you could be "that old character who taught me how to shoot & ..."

God Bless, 

Bede

8 kids including the 2 not yet born, or 8 so far with 2 more on the way? 

Either way, good for you. 

sprocket

It might take 3 days to hand them off if I was given a week's notice - But if I'm not going that quickly, I'll have to think about it a bit.

Sage Hen

I have four sons who grew up in a house full of guns and guitars. When they were young I promised them all that I would leave them a good gun and a good guitar. I'm 65 now and took a big hit during the "Great Recession", so I made good on my promise a little early, figuring I didn't know what the future might hold. I've still got a couple of good guitars and a few good guns after giving two away to deserving youngsters that I've been shooting with. The ones I still have and use will go to whoever can find the time to go hunting and fishing with the old man.

bennelli-banger

"Give while you live,  so you know where it goes..."

"If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans...."

neither of these are mine...

larry

I have no children to leave them to either. This year my wife and I moved from our home for 35 years to another state and started thinning out a lot of the things we had collected over the years. I gave away a few guns before I moved, one to a nephew, another to a brother inlaw, one to a very good friend and dog training partner, and my wife gave her gun to his daughter. This year I enjoyed the pictures that where taken of the birds harvested with these gifts. No thoughts yet on the guns I still have, in fact still planning to add one or two to the collection.

Dakota Dogman
11 hours ago, Bede said:

8 kids including the 2 not yet born, or 8 so far with 2 more on the way? 

Either way, good for you. 

Yep 8 breathing the free air... stair steps from a Jr. in College to a 3 year old who by her own admission wants to be "the boss" when she grows up!  Then, Lord willing by the end of Feb. twins will enter the house.  Actually gives me an excuse to keep buying guns!  I don't have anywhere NEAR enough!

God Bless, Matt s

ShortTailGuy

I don't get on here much anymore but this morning I am in the store drinking coffee and watching it snow and came across this topic. I will be 62 this year I have 3 step kids that I would not trust with a sling shot let alone any of my guns. I have talked to a good friend of mine in the Ruffed Grouse Society and I have decided to leave them to the Ruffed Grouse Society. My chapter can auction them off and use the money for some projects. Who knows maybe my name will end up on a plaque somewhere in the ANF. We also have a cabin in PA. that will also go to the chapter. I have a kid in town that I kind of latched on to and I have already gave some of my shotguns to. He loves to hunt and is a great kid and destined to be a fantastic adult.

ShortTailGuy
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 2:20 PM, Greg Hartman said:

That's not a bad idea.  If there's an upland Valhalla, maybe we'll need our favorite bird guns in the afterlife.  No - I guess that won't work for me as I am to be cremated and my ashes are to be mixed with those of my dogs and then scattered on my place, the gun club and our favorite uplands.

Greg, hopefully when I go to the great upland Valhalla I wont need a firearm. I am hoping to be able to shoot fireballs from my fingertips.

Bede
2 hours ago, ShortTailGuy said:

I don't get on here much anymore but this morning I am in the store drinking coffee and watching it snow and came across this topic. I will be 62 this year I have 3 step kids that I would not trust with a sling shot let alone any of my guns. I have talked to a good friend of mine in the Ruffed Grouse Society and I have decided to leave them to the Ruffed Grouse Society. My chapter can auction them off and use the money for some projects. Who knows maybe my name will end up on a plaque somewhere in the ANF. We also have a cabin in PA. that will also go to the chapter. I have a kid in town that I kind of latched on to and I have already gave some of my shotguns to. He loves to hunt and is a great kid and destined to be a fantastic adult.

Pretty neat.

Also, glad to see you here. How is the store?